cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making Me Sick...

MisterShan
Honored Guest
I just got the Oculus and in general I am blown away by the potential of this technology...

but I must say I don't see how this is a market ready product...It's so blurry and low res even after making all the adjustments. It's hurting my eyes and I can't play a game longer than 10 minutes without feeling ultra nauseous... I even felt at one point I was going to throw up. 

Am I potentially doing something wrong? Is there a way to get the image sharper at least? My specs are i7 5820k 2 x 1080s SLI, 32gigs of Vram and running most the games off an SSD...Or there is no real way to tweak? 
2 REPLIES 2

FocusVRGames
Adventurer
Turn off SLI, its my understanding this isn't good for VR, not 100% sure on the technical reason but something to do with the graphics pipeline can't be shared over both cards. I'm sure someone else would have a better explanation but to be honest you don't need two 1080 in SLI for the Rift. One 1080 will perform perfectly for all experiences available.

Some people do get sick in VR but your response sounds quite extreme.

Some suggestions -
Make sure your IPD is set correctly, there are a number of website that show you how search "ipd measurement", nothing more complicated than a ruler and a mirror will give you a accurate enough measurement
Make sure you tracking is set up correctly, go through the setup procedure for your sensor(s) again
Make sure your Rift is located on your head properly. Too high or too low can create a blurry image. Move it up and down until you get the sharpest image and set the straps. The triangle at the back should be low down on your skull.
Do you wear glasses? You can wear them in the Rift, so if you are taking them off put them back on or wear contact lenses.
Ease into the games. 
Start by only playing "Comfortable" rated games and experiences and only for short periods of time until you get used to it.
Keep your head movements slow and steady.
Avoid Intense and unrated games until you have your adjusted a little to VR

DO NOT - "push through" you will just get more sick and not want to go back into the Rift. If you experience discomfort give yourself a rest until you feel better

All in all it is worth it. The Oculus is absolutely a market ready product. I couldn't be happier with mine.

Hope that helps and you can enjoy your Rift.
Mike

br0ho
Honored Guest
I dusted off the ole DK2 yesterday and want to run the IPD and calibration setup but cant get past the new setup because its looking for the mic and headphones so I have to skip. Is there a way to get around this? I cant seem to find a solution.