cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Game looks dark, heavy black-smearing/shadowing and distortion of the image

FusionPlay_Konr
Protege
I don't know what to do further.
When using the Oculus for our game, it always looks very dark. Additionally there is really heavy black-smearing or shadowing. Also when looking around, it sometimes feels "warped" like looking though a fisheye lens. This makes the player feeling dizzy/sick. Finally, sometimes everything behind me seems to be black and being loaded while turning into that direction.

The game runs fine with steamvr/vive. For the oculus support I am using the Oculus Utilities, the Touch Utilities and the Oculus Platform SDK. The Game is built in Unity 5.5 but the error also happened in Unity 5.4
5 REPLIES 5

FusionPlay_Konr
Protege
The main character of the game is a black and white cat. So this is a high contrast. The rest of the environment is mixed, cartoonish style. The "shadowing" does not only appear on the cat but also on other objects with lower contrast.

FusionPlay_Konr
Protege
So is there no solution until now? It's nearly a year ago and the issue still persists. We are about to leave Early Acess and launch our game but cannot find a solution for the dark colors and black smear. All links found on google rely on super-old Devkit 2 issues.

Is there no official support from Unity or Oculus for that issue?
We do not have these issues on other platforms we are developing as well.

MikeF
Trustee
-The black smearing is unavoidable in high contrast scenes due to pixel switching speeds so this needs to be taken into account from a design standpoint
-Not sure about the warping, that could possibly be a unity version / oculus utilities conflict
-The black screen when turning rapidly is timewarp kicking in, to avoid that you'l need to stabilize your framerate

FusionPlay_Konr
Protege
So there is no fix for the black smear? Tried to play around with color correction curves but it just made the image more grayish but the smear still remained.
That is really a pity, but thank you for caring.

MikeF
Trustee
No, thats unfortunately a limitation of the current displays inside the rift. The best you can do is adapt your visuals to work around this