cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot perform "trace your space" in SteamVR Room Scale setup

rboegli
Honored Guest
Hi,

I'm unable to get thru the SteamVR Room Scale Setup as the "Trace Your Space" does not work.

As I move around and press trigger, it does not detect that I have pressed the trigger.

Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

rboegli
Honored Guest
Figure it out....

I had to enable "unknown source" in the Oculus settings and it worked.....

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Do you do that part of the setup with the headset on? The Touch controllers communicate through the HMD, so if you don't have it on you, maybe you're too far away from it for the trigger to register? (Just a guess.)

You could do the Standing-Room-Only setup in Steam, and just rely on the Oculus Guardian walls instead of Chaperone (which is what I've done).

I guess the downside is that I think some games configure your play space based on the Chaperone area, so you might end up playing in a smaller zone in games like Job Simulator.

Edit: I see you got it sorted. Good stuff.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

rboegli
Honored Guest
@nalex66 Thanks for taking the time to provide some suggestions.

I was quite surprised / annoyed that it was such a simple fix.... 🙂

Jakeryazli
Explorer
Hi, I am having exactly the same problem but enabling Unknown Source has not worked.  Anyone else having this issue.

Cheers

NamelessPFG
Expert Protege
I was stumped by that too, but then I remembered the little detail about the Touch controllers wirelessly interfacing through the Rift HMD and thought "What if the Rift drops the Touch connection when in standby mode?"

Sure enough, I put my finger over the proximity sensor inside the HMD so it thinks I'm wearing it, and the Touch controllers will work as intended with the trigger.

It's a weird bug, considering that everything else works just fine without having to do that, but at least there's a workaround.

Still, given that certain SteamVR games do adapt themselves based on your available play space (Hover Junkers gives you a bigger ship if you do, for instance), it would be advisable to make sure the SteamVR settings reflect that.

Jakeryazli
Explorer
Hey Nameless

Thanks for the tip.  That solved the problem for me.  Back to room scale now.

Cheers

JaggerWolf
Expert Protege
Had the same issue - was getting irritated, then realized I had to cover the sensor on the headset for tracking to work on controllers 🙂

bobarhett13
Explorer
I was having this issue too!  Dumbfounding me because it's worked many times before.  Thanks to everyone who knew the solution.  Just engage that proximity sensor, and the Steam "Trace your Room" trigger works again.

Seceroth
Honored Guest
Thanks Nameless That solved my issue too \m/ (°.°) \m/ Rock on!