/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

How is lens distortion handled in Unity 5?

mc_playmc_play Posts: 9
Virtual Boy (or Girl)
I noticed whenever I rotate my head in my own Unity app, I can see some kind of bending of the lines/structures. However, I don't see it in Dreamdeck or other apps downloaded from Oculus. Is that caused by lens distortion? If that's the case, how can I correct that?

Thanks,
MC

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 20,194 Oculus Staff
    Moving to the Unity developers section. 
    However, distortion correction is handled by the runtime. You shouldn't need to do anything in Unity.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • mc_playmc_play Posts: 9
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    @cybereality
    I saw other people talking about that in this post. I guess the interface may have changed or so.

Have you happened to noticed any distortion like that in Unity? Any insights what might be happening here?

Thanks!
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    @cybereality
    I went back and checked the app again. It looks like the distortion only happens when I disable positional tracking by unticking 'Use positional tracking'. Is there any way to fix that?

Thanks,
    MC
  • imperativityimperativity Posts: 536 Oculus Staff
    @mc_play

Can you send me a dropbox link of your build for our evaluation?

Thank you.
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    @imperativity

Just messaged you the link. I wonder if it has anything to do with the head model not handled well when positional tracking is disabled. Rotating the head is supposed to give some translation as well right?

Thank you
  • imperativityimperativity Posts: 536 Oculus Staff

If you disable position tracking it also disables the head-neck model so that 360 content only needs to account for the IPD. You can even disable the IPD-based translation setting OVRManager.useIPDInPositionTracking = false.