/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Vertical tearing with Android N, not with Android 6.

Norman3DNorman3D Posts: 35
Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble. Our game runs perfectly fine on S6 and S7 with Android 6. As soon as we update our S7 to Android N the game starts getting "vertical tearing" like described in this thread:
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/50589/oculus-home-graphic-problem-and-other-apps#latest

Also note how in that thread an Oculus staff member claimed just 2 weeks ago to believe that Android N is still not supported by GearVR. Is this still true? Even with the S8 being released? Is this entire issue something we should worry about? We don't even know what causes it or if there is anything we can even do on our end to fix it.

Here is a reddit thread of people complaining about this specific issue as well:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GearVR/comments/5z0xpp/did_samsung_throttle_cpu_performance_for_gear_vr/

So yeah, any info or help would be appreciated!

Comments

• imperativityimperativity Posts: 684 Oculus Staff
    We are getting many reports of this.

I'm looking into this issue right now and hope to have something to share in the coming weeks.
    @Norman3D

Turns out this is a known issue (Nougat slower than Marshmallow) at the native level, not specific to any engine. 

We believe it is due to extra background activity and we are asking Samsung to address it.

• Norman3DNorman3D Posts: 35
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    @Norman3D

Turns out this is a known issue (Nougat slower than Marshmallow) at the native level, not specific to any engine. 

We believe it is due to extra background activity and we are asking Samsung to address it.

Thanks so much for the info @imperativity
    To be clear, I can put my game through the submission process even though this is an issue that is present due to Nougat, correct? (I was afraid I was going to get rejected because of this)
    @Norman3D

Ok, I have confirmation that there is no longer any expected performance degradation going from Marshmallow to Nougat. If your app is still encountering issues, we will need to see the output of "adb logcat" and possibly get a minimal project that reproduces the issue to debug.

Let me know if you want to provide either of these options (or both) for our review.

Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    @Norman3D

Ok, I have confirmation that there is no longer any expected performance degradation going from Marshmallow to Nougat. If your app is still encountering issues, we will need to see the output of "adb logcat" and possibly get a minimal project that reproduces the issue to debug.

Let me know if you want to provide either of these options (or both) for our review.

I can confirm on my side that the issue is still present in Nougat. I've downgraded my S7 to Marshmallow this morning and the issue is gone.
    How can I contact you to provide you the project privately?
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited April 5
    To clarify: I'm confirming the issue still remains the same. Vertical tearing is present on Android N but not  Android 6 on Samsung S7
    It may be properties of your project are conflicting with Nougat. You may submit a dropbox link to via private message if that works for you.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    I'll PM you a link to our project. For those of you lurking the thread I'll make sure to update as soon as I know more!
  • Leemon89Leemon89 Posts: 11
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    edited April 19
    Any updates about this issue? I've noticed this tearing even in super-light scenes with stable 60fps. Tearing appears more often with higher load on a scene. For me it looks like some sort of time-warp issue.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Leemon89 said:
    Any updates about this issue? I've noticed this tearing even in super-light scenes with stable 60fps. Tearing appears more often with higher load on a scene. For me it looks like some sort of time-warp issue.
    Developer support has been looking at the issue for a few days. Haven't heard anything from them yet but I'm told to expect news at some point this week.
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    edited April 20
    A little update: I've noticed tearing happens for left eye only! Right is ok at any load.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Leemon89 said:
    A little update: I've noticed tearing happens for left eye only! Right is ok at any load.
    I can say that this is true 90% of the time. But I have experienced occasional tearing on the right eye also.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited April 23
    Just wanted to update and let everyone know that as of these last few days, after one of the gearvr updates the vertical tearing is also happening on Android 6 on Samsung S7. Something I can guarantee was not happening up util now. One of the updates has definitely broken it, so now the vertical tearing appears both in Android 6 and Android 7 son Samsung 7.

EDIT: And here is another thread that has popped up with the same complaint:
    https://forums.oculus.com/developer/discussion/52004/vertical-screen-tearing-on-s7
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited April 24
    Just to update everyone. Issue is now gone after today's update on Android 6 on S7. I'm going to check if it's still present on Android 7 and I'll update this post.

EDIT: Issue still present on Android 7
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Thanks for the update, mate! Keeping this topic fresh.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Leemon89 said:
    Thanks for the update, mate! Keeping this topic fresh.
    No problem. For the record the Oculus support has not gotten in touch with me last week. So I'm hoping for this week!
    @Norman3D

You have not been forgotten!
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    @Norman3D

You have not been forgotten!
    hehe no worries! I just saw your PM :smiley:
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    To add some more fuel to the fire, here is someone else complaining about this issue:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/GearVR/comments/638zjf/john_carmacks_new_software_gives_gear_vrs_oculus/dfy7wcv/
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited April 25
    Additionally we have been reading up on the matter of tearing and came across this video right here from Oculus Connect 2:
    https://youtu.be/NG7oLula-Xc?t=1532

It's my understanding from watching the video that the timewarp process, the game and android are all fighting for GPU resources. And if one of them hogs the gpu too much the timewarp comes in late, resulting in tearing.
    Well, we have increased the GPU from 2 to 3 and the tearing is mostly gone, it does still pop up everyone now and hen. However this has obvious thermal implications, we are not reaching the 45 minute mark anymore and can only get up to 26 minutes, which is unacceptable to us and Oculus. And not to mention the fact that setting the value of GPU 2 on Android 6 works tear-free and 45+ minutes.
    In other words, it seems that when updating the OS from 6 to 7 more GPU is being used by something.
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Thanks for the updates, Norman! We shall not forget OS becoming heavier and heavier with each update, so gradual performance loss is inevitable. I wonder will Oculus put it in a consideration, coz users are tend to update OS asap.
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    BTW! In UE 4.16 patchnotes we have: a) mobile Slate performance improvement, b) mobile Multi-view is out of experimental and fully supports GearVR. So hopefully the engine improvements will come in help to balance things out.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Leemon89 said:
    BTW! In UE 4.16 patchnotes we have: a) mobile Slate performance improvement, b) mobile Multi-view is out of experimental and fully supports GearVR. So hopefully the engine improvements will come in help to balance things out.
    Unfortunately I don't think multi-view well help out here. I believe tearing is caused due to the phone being GPU bound. Multi-view only offloads processing from the CPU to the GPU making things worse in this case.
    In my specific case I'm also only using a little bit of UMG, mostly for the lobby section of the game, so once again I don't think it will be a big difference :/