/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Why my FPS is getting low?

SoundmartellSoundmartell Posts: 27
Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
Hello,
I have been trying to find a solution for my Gear VR FPS but even when I have made all kind of optimization I can't get a stable 60 FPS.
I have attached an OVRMonitor screenshot. As you can see I have less than 100 Draw Call, less than 100K vertices, the Static batches are working as well as the dynamic batches. 
I have all the lights baked, Occlusion culling is working, I have the CPU and GPU overclocked 4/4!! 
Quality screenshot attached as well.
I am using Unity 5.6, Galaxy S7 Duos, Gear VR. 
I will appreciate any help.
Best regards. 
ave 
Tagged:

Answers

• imperativityimperativity Posts: 972 Oculus Staff
    Hi,

What fps do you see when you use the console command "hmd sp 100"?

For context: "hmd sp [30-300] Sets the screen percentage. Use a higher number for better quality, and a lower one for better performance."

• SoundmartellSoundmartell Posts: 27
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    I am just using the Gear VR.
    Thank you.
    edited May 2
    What version of Oculus Utilities are you using? Also, the exact version of Unity would be helpful, too.

If you could provide a copy of this project for our review as well, that would be great in isolating this issue.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Thank you for your answer.
    I am using: Unity v5.6.0f3, Oculus Utilities v1.11.0, OVRPlugin v1.12.0.
    Any way its happen in previous versions of Unity and Oculus as well.
    I don't know if I can provide a copy of the project because I am using some payed assets and I don't know if is allow to. By other hand its a heave project of around 13Gb. Let me know your thoughts.
    Best regards.
    Is there any chance you can update your oculus utilities to version 1.13 and try once more?

Here is the download link: https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/package/oculus-utilities-for-unity-5/

Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Ok, I will but I have been updating Oculus and Unity fore more than one year and it doesn't solve the FPS. I will update now and I will be back to you but I am 99 % sure it will not make a difference mate.
    edited May 2
    Not a problem, it is what we recommend most of the time as in 90% of situations it resolves these issues. Much has changed between 1.11 and 1.13 as well. If this does not address the issue, I will elevate this further to our internal teams for analysis.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Thank you. Please let me know how I can send you a copy of the project and if you think is allow for me to share the project under the Unity Store conditions. As I mentioned before I am using some payed Asset for the Unity Store. 
    One last question: if you were to make a new project without any assets, does the low frame rate persist?
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Well, I made a new project, not any asset. oculus utilities version 1.13. One directional light, one plane with Mobile Defuse Material, both of they statics and baked Light. OVRPlayerController.
    The FPS = 60 stable but have a look to the yellow marks in the OVRMonitor (Image Attached)

Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Sorry, here is the image. :-)
    Hi,

Can you run OVRLint and see what kind of recommendations it makes for your application?

https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/game-engines/latest/concepts/unity-perf/#unity-perf-auditing
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Thank you. I already did it before. Not any recommendations.

edited May 4
    Okay. One more request, could you post images from the Unity profiler so we can see where the resources are being used in your application?

(Thanks for your patience with this process)
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Do you need Profiler running in Unity Editor or Device?

In the Unity editor.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Running in Unity Editor.

Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Running in the Device.

@Soundmartell

Thanks! I'll dig into all this data and see what I can find to help you isolate this issue.
    @Soundmartell

From the data you have provided, it clearly shows that your app is spending more than 15ms rendering and then vsync is consuming the remainder of the next cycle after the deadline for timewarp is missed.

It is most likely your shading or texture bandwidth that is causing this low framerate. Can you try using simpler shaders?
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited May 6
    I am using mobile defuse shader. With just an atlas texture 2048 x 2048. Not any bump map. Not shadows. All the models share the same materia and atlas. I can't find anything simpler than that. Even with a mobile unlit I can't get 60 FPS.
    I appreciate your help.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    The atlas 2048 x 2048, compressed ASTC 8x8 Block, 
    @Soundmartell

It sounds like most of the scene complexity is in the UI.

Does it speed up when the UI is disabled?

Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    It has not any UI. Thanks
  • appl044appl044 Posts: 8
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    edited May 8
    try running it in the editor. Turn on "stats" within the game window, upper right-hand side. Start turning off items in your hierarchy until the FPS starts to improve.  And subcomponents. Try changing quality settings also.  Also, I have never seen a pixel light count of zero, I thought you would need at least a 1. Check your time scale and anything else you modified in project settings. 
    Check your quality settings. This is mine, and I am over 100FPS.

https://gyazo.com/3a1c3f48ff20de4c331209e1f88f601a 
    @Soundmartell

Thanks for getting back to me. We'll keep looking into this on our end.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    appl044 said:
    try running it in the editor. Turn on "stats" within the game window, upper right-hand side. Start turning off items in your hierarchy until the FPS starts to improve.  And subcomponents. Try changing quality settings also.  Also, I have never seen a pixel light count of zero, I thought you would need at least a 1. Check your time scale and anything else you modified in project settings. 
    Check your quality settings. This is mine, and I am over 100FPS.

https://gyazo.com/3a1c3f48ff20de4c331209e1f88f601a 
    Thank you. 
    @Soundmartell

We also provide lots of resources (guide, blog 1, blog 2, OVRLint, Unity's docs) that devs should go through when debugging their applications for performance issues. 
  • FieldOfVisionFieldOfVision Posts: 115 Poster of the Week
    @imperativity
    Thanks for the links. Really helpful blogs.

Check out our latest VR exclusive games from www.FieldOfVision.com