/ Forums
Applications are now open to attend this year's Oculus Connect. Join us October 11–12 and be first in line for an inside look at what’s new and next for VR.

New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Unity 5.6.1 - Gear VR: Choppy movements in an almost empty scene

stevehinanstevehinan Posts: 6
Virtual Boy (or Girl)
Problem:  Unity 5.6.1 - Gear VR:  Choppy movements in an almost empty scene.  Samsung Galaxy 8+

If I create a new Unity project and add a simple moving sphere or a default particle emitter and publish to Gear VR, the resulting movement is choppy regardless of frame rate.
Has anyone else experienced this problem.

I will provide details if this is not already a known issue, as I have performed lots of troubleshooting tests already.
I'm hoping the solution is something simple like turning on a setting.  I have setup my project as per the Oculus and Unity documentation.
What I would love is a bare bones, empty, pre-made unity project with all the correct settings for Gear VR set, TimeManager settings, etc.

Thanks,
Steve
Tagged:

Comments

• imperativityimperativity Posts: 1,048 Oculus Staff
    edited May 23
    Hi,

Welcome to the Oculus Developer Forums.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are receiving similar reports from other users of Samsung Galaxy S8+ phones. Please check the other forum post here and see if this sounds similar:

https://forums.oculus.com/developer/discussion/52675/horribly-slow-fps-on-galaxy-s8

Would you be able to provide us with unity profiler data of your application to see where your time is being spent each cycle? 
  • stevehinanstevehinan Posts: 6
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Hi and thank you for your fast response.

The bug link you shared with me sounds like what I am experiencing.  The solution is to wait for a Unity patch that solves the issue.  If you know of a different solution I would love to hear it.

I have attached a profile image of my Samsung Galaxy 8+ running an almost empty unity scene.  Just 1 moving default sphere, 1 default particle emitter and a directional light. All 3 game object settings are optimized.

@stevehinan

Yes, this looks like exactly what I would expect to see here for what you have described. 'waitForGPU' is using 23.87 ms of each cycle of 16 ms. The fact that your scene is a nearly empty one is an easy way to see that this is being caused by that exact same issue in the other thread. Unfortunately there is no workaround at this time while we wait for Unity to address this issue. Thanks for providing this!
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Profiler capture Unity 5.6.1p4
    Problem still exists.
    Is there an option in unity, that needs to be set by me to solve this WaitForGPU issue?

• sfaoksfaok Posts: 179
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 3
    I think I have the same problem. Using Unity 5.6.1p4 my app works perfectly smoothly using an S6 phone, but on S7 performance is choppy even in modest scenes. Unfortunately I don't have an S8 to test.

There were no issues in Unity 5.4.5, performance was smooth across both S6 and S7.
    Developer of Ocean Rift.
    Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
  • sfaoksfaok Posts: 179
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 10
    Updating Android on my S7 appears to have fixed my issue, things are much smoother now. Apologies, probably unrelated to your problem.

Edit : Sorry issue is still there, not sure why performance appeared smoother after update but it was short lived.
    Developer of Ocean Rift.
    Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
    @sfaok

Could you perchance send me a dropbox link with a copy of your project for our review? Thanks!
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Hi Imperativity,

Yes, I have a dropbox link to my Unity project.  I'll send this link to you privately and not publicly on this forum thread.  Please tell me what email address to send the link to.
    Project details:  Unity 2017.1, Publish to Gear VR, Test device = Galaxy 8+ (US version) with latest update as of July 16 2017.

Thanks,
    Steve
    @stevehinan

Is there any chance you could send me a dropbox link with your project via private message? Thanks in advance!