cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Questions about reset orientation and voice search

mallmagician
Expert Protege
Hi there,

I have a few questions that I hope to get answered. 

Reset orientation of the headset

We have hmd inputs, gear vr controller inputs and regular controllers. However, we have no universal way (?) to reset hmd orientation without going into the Universal Menu. For media applications such as trying to watch a live stream, YouTube, Netflix, Oculus video etc, drift can be a real annoyance. Especially if you're not sat on a swivel chair (as is often the case). 

Is there a universal command that could be used to achieve this throughout every app? 

Allow me to expand on that. Short of having the option to repurpose a hmd button or such to do an instant reorient, I was thinking I may make use of a custom bluetooth device, or a custom button to use in the usb passthrough to achieve this.  E.g. If pressing the letter Z on a keyboard (usb or BT) can do this, it would be trivial for me to implement a solution for personal use. 

I know I have scripting options in my own apps that I can (and do) use, but I would love it if there is some universal way to do it across the whole ecosystem. (Much like Print Screen takes a screenshot).

Voice Search/Voice Recognition

2 queries here:-

1. How does Oculus determine that I'm English and can have Voice Search available in home? I still don't have the option. My phone is on WiFi only, no sim, phone in English, sim free EU device (S6e+), but I still don't have voice search available. I would like it if possible. Or is it an S7 and up feature?

And

2.  Any plans to open up and expand voice control/access to voice recognition for use by developers.  I've shelved a number of ideas that would rely heavily on voice recognition due to limited options, and unknown costs of using Google's service (as in I can't predict how much use it would get, so would basically be writing a blank cheque).  I'd welcome having voice recognition be a part of Oculus' toolbox for Devs! 🙂

Thanks

Mm
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

juanoldinho
Heroic Explorer

Re:- Voice Control - My Rift doesn't have this functionality either.  Im assuming its IP address locked to English Speaking countries?  Is there any way I can get this turned on?  

The feature should be enabled now, can you log out of Home and log back in?
Please tag me, @juanoldinho, in your forum post/response if you need immediate assistance or want additional support or context on an issue you are having with our software or integrations.

Having an issue with our platform, services, or integrations?

Try using our new bug tool to report this and receive emailed updates as we proceed to address it internally.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mallmagician
Expert Protege

Hi MM,

Reset orientation of the headset

I know I have scripting options in my own apps that I can (and do) use,
but I would love it if there is some universal way to do it across the
whole ecosystem. (Much like Print Screen takes a screenshot).

Outside of making a nearby floating overlay with the option to reset the view, there is currently no ecosystem-wide implementation to achieve this currently. I will raise this question and see if there is any plan to implement something like this in the future, though.

I am currently researching the other two questions on voice search/recognition and will update this thread when I have more clarity or information on those.

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

Concerning the reorient system wide functionality, I had suggested a while ago that using the Answer Call button on all Samsung phone earbuds would be a handy and accessible physical button for users to use to reorient instantly.  Would love to see something done about this, as sometimes drift is a bit of a pain, and having this ability system wide would be a real improvement.

Alternatively, you could toggle the Gear VR Controller reorient functionality in the 2D Oculus app.  Something like:-  Advanced Settings:- Gear VR Controller ReOrient:-

*Controller Only
or
*Controller+HMD

Thus making the long press on the Gear VR Controller a more versatile thing.  🙂 

Re:- Voice Control - My Rift doesn't have this functionality either.  Im assuming its IP address locked to English Speaking countries?  Is there any way I can get this turned on?  

juanoldinho
Heroic Explorer

Please tag me, @juanoldinho, in your forum post/response if you need immediate assistance or want additional support or context on an issue you are having with our software or integrations.

Having an issue with our platform, services, or integrations?

Try using our new bug tool to report this and receive emailed updates as we proceed to address it internally.

mallmagician
Expert Protege

Hi there,
Superb.  Voice search etc is now working for me.  Thanks for that.  🙂