cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to develop my first experience in Oculus need some guidance

Pyrosteve36
Honored Guest
Hi everyone, 

I am going to learn how to create an experience in Oculus, and wanted my first project to be similar to how Fantasyth works. So my questions are: 

1. To create the environment and camera motion, was this done using Unity?
2. To create a lot of the light scatter effects, was this done using Maya, or can Unity create this same effect?

If anyone can give me some guidance, so that I am researching the right tools for the job. My goal is to create a music video, with camera driven motion (no player control), and produce environments that the user is taken through. I would like to create as much polish as possible (so keeping the skins fairly simple), but as a first project, if I can avoid paying for Maya, or 3DS Max, that would be awesome. 

Looking forward to any help given,
Cheers,
Stephen
1 REPLY 1

deftware
Expert Protege
Looks like the Demoscene got their hands on VR. 

You can create camera motion using a lot of different methods, be it by applying a translation to the modelview matrix manually, or by using an existing engine.

You can also create all the effects manually using vertex/fragment shaders, or a single fragment shader that just raymarches and/or raytraces against distance field functions. No engine required, but I'm sure you could use an engine to do it as well.

Lastly, you don't need to pay for a professional 3D package like Maya or 3DS Max. I use Blender, which is completely free, and just as capable. There are tons of tutorials for it on YouTube.

Good luck.