cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to run a basic fresh Unity scene in VR mode for Oculus development

hmiri
Explorer

Could someone please help me understand what I am missing or doing wrong:  I would like to get a simple empty VR scene up and running with the latest stable Unity 2017.2.0f3 and Oculus 1.18 which I initially assumed "when you download the latest Unity 2017.2, the VR mode is activated via the "Virtual Reality Supported" option, so basically that should be it without the need for any integration stuff downloaded, imported, etc..." but that does not work as I get errors.

I have tried this with and without the integration package (both latest 1.18 and an old version 1.15 that is supposed to work) and with and without the VR option checked. However, I always get the following errors:

Couldn't open Assets/OVR/Plugins/1.18.1/OSXUniversal/OVRPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/OVRPlugin, error: dlopen(Assets/OVR/Plugins/1.18.1/OSXUniversal/OVRPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/OVRPlugin, 2): Library not loaded: @rpath/LibOVRRT_0.framework/Versions/5/LibOVRRT_0 Referenced from: /Users/OculusUnityProject/Assets/OVR/Plugins/1.18.1/OSXUniversal/OVRPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/OVRPlugin. Reason: image not found

and

Oculus Plugin could not be loaded.

Is this an OS X issue? Is it a Unity2017 issue? What am I missing here? Does anyone know what I should do to get a basic empty Unity VR project running for developing an app for Oculus Rift?

6 REPLIES 6

profpalmer
Honored Guest
I've been having a similar problem all week. Are you building on Mac of Windows?

profpalmer
Honored Guest
I also saw this message on another comment. But it didn't work for me or the original poster.
-----------------------------------
imperativity said:
@hmiri 

This is a known issue with the 1.18.1 Oculus integration. If you were to downgrade to the 1.15 integration (or below) these errors will be resolved. Functionality will return in future versions of our software, but it remains low priority for now in light of other pressing windows bug fixes on our roadmap.

profpalmer
Honored Guest
I also saw this message on another comment. But it didn't work for me or the original poster.
-----------------------------------
imperativity said:
@hmiri 

This is a known issue with the 1.18.1 Oculus integration. If you were to downgrade to the 1.15 integration (or below) these errors will be resolved. Functionality will return in future versions of our software, but it remains low priority for now in light of other pressing windows bug fixes on our roadmap.

hmiri
Explorer
@profpalmer

Yeah, that's my old post!  That person initially replied after 3 days, with an indication that did not help, and then complete silence since 24 October that I posted again in response to his initial reply... 

When I create a fresh empty Unity2017.2 project on a Mac machine and check the "Virtual Reality Supported" option in "XR Settings", I get the two errors in my original post. 

However, when I create a fresh empty Unity2017.2 project on a Win machine and check the "Virtual Reality Supported" option in "XR Settings", I get the following one error:

XR: OpenVR Error! OpenVR failed initialization with error code VRInitError_Init_PathRegistryNotFound: "Installation path could not be located (110)"!

I don't care about this, because I don't use OpenVR.  Also, when I save the empty scene (on a Win machine) and try to close Unity, I get a strange error that says moving a temp file failed, etc...

When I go back to a Mac machine and open the project created on a Win machine and open it and run it with the VR option checked, those two initial errors do not appear but I get the same Win error above. 

I have also posted on Unity VR and Immersive App forums, but no response at all. Please let me know if you get somewhere with this issue. Thanks, 

drhmiri
Honored Guest
If anyone has any idea on how to resolve this basic issue, kindly reply. Many thanks in advance...

hmiri
Explorer
@imperativity
Got it, Thanks very much.