cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[WIP] GATE-D VR, a Japanese cyberpunk multi-stream narrative

msaijo
Honored Guest
The GATE-D software being developed is a first person choose-your-own-adventure interactive narrative “Application/Experience” based classic cyberpunk novels and films from Japan and US. This collaboration is a “Team” effort between producers/programmers from Japan and visual artist/filmmakers from the US.

The concept is an abstract homage to film-noir cyberpunk history, a “mash-up” of pop cultural references with characters based on Ryu Murakami’s novel Coin Locker Babies, classic sci-fi anime AKIRA, Tetsuo the Ironman, underscored with quotes and themes from influential writers like William Burroughs, Jean Baudrillard, Philip K Dick, and other sci-fi writers.

The process is to film the narrative using live action 360-degree video with Japanese actors (dubbed in English) within the backdrop of surrealistic modern Japan. “Unity Engine” will be used to develop the software for interactive capabilities, to "choose your own adventure" and compositing visual effects using Adobe After Effects. Some of the characters are played by professional cosplay actors.
40 REPLIES 40

JaninaWoods
Honored Guest
This looks AWESOME! I am hyped! Can't wait to try! :DD
Check out my 2013 VRJam finalist game: http://shinyvr.com/

cybereality
Grand Champion
The name Datura was used by a PS3 game and is trademarked. Just FYI.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/datura-ps3/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Joyhype
Honored Guest
This is a very interesting concept! I'm really digging it because of the old school movie sci-fi vibe /appeal (Fifth Element, Mad Max, Dune, Total Recall).
SaaS and Fullstack developer. Hobby Game developer.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I do love the style and the concept. More cyberpunk is always a good thing.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

RyuMaster
Honored Guest
HELL YEAH! I just love this genre so much, can't wait!

msaijo
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
The name Datura was used by a PS3 game and is trademarked. Just FYI.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/datura-ps3/

Thanks Oculus Manager for letting us know about the trademark. We will come up with another solution.

msaijo
Honored Guest
Can anyone see the photos on this post? If not, does anyone know how I can fix it so you can see the pics?

Twitchmonkey
Explorer
Only members can view attachments if I recall correctly, if you want anyone to be able to see them you'll have to include them using the img tags, which can be found just above the main body of the post during post creation or editing. Just put the URL between the brackets and it should show up for everyone. Note that this does require you to upload the pictures to a file host first like tinypic or imageshack, and you'll need the direct link to the picture itself.

msaijo
Honored Guest
"Twitchmonkey" wrote:
Only members can view attachments if I recall correctly, if you want anyone to be able to see them you'll have to include them using the img tags, which can be found just above the main body of the post during post creation or editing. Just put the URL between the brackets and it should show up for everyone. Note that this does require you to upload the pictures to a file host first like tinypic or imageshack, and you'll need the direct link to the picture itself.

Thanks Twitch Monkey for the info.