Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus 1.3 Requires Unity 5.3.4p1 + New OVRPlugin for Unity 5

cybereality
Grand Champion
To develop for Oculus 1.3 you'll NEED to specifically be using Unity 5.3.4p1:
https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

You will also NEED to download the OVRPlugin separately and patch Unity:
https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/game-engines/1.3.0/OVRPlugin_for_Unity_5/

Finally, you'll have to update the Oculus Unity Utilities:
https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/game-engines/1.3.0/Oculus_Utilities_for_Unity_5/

If you have any questions, please let me know. Thanks.
40 REPLIES 40

Nelug0
Explorer
Nevermind, 
I've installed Unity 5.3.4p1 and it works like charm.

fathomable
Honored Guest

MikeF said:

a blue bar to the right about 50 pixels wide visible on both the monitor and rift, any ideas?

Same here, for my existing projects (DK2). The sdk 1.3.0 example project scenes don't seem to have that artifact.

The sample framework 1.0.0 (updated March 8th) doesn't work anymore, however: (Assets/OVRInspector/Scripts/OVRRenderTrackerFrustum.cs(184,57): error CS1061: Type `OVRTracker' does not contain a definition for `frustum' and no extension method `frustum' of type `OVRTracker' could be found).

dshankar
Honored Guest
@cybereality this issue occurred when we were setting a 1.8X renderscale which was fine on DK2+0.8. setting a lower renderscale such as 1.5X does not cause an issue.

Is there a maximum eye buffer size I should be aware of? What's the default render target resolution for CV1 / 1.3?

What are you setting renderScale to?
Have you tried modifying in the editor rather than in code?

owenwp
Expert Protege
DK2 ran at a lower resolution. If your framebuffer exceeds a certain size the GPU will probably choke. I dont know the resolution at 1.8x (1x isnt only 1200p) but it wouldnt surprise me if you were approaching 6k. Add antialiasing and you are way out of the range that gpu makers optimize for.

tinymobile
Honored Guest
I'm trying to get the Unity / Oculus integration up and running on my Windows 7 box. I have the Oculus Home app installed and working (not sure if this matters). I've also downloaded and installed the specific Unity version required (5.3.4p1). Here is where I start running into issues.

When I go to copy in the OVR Plugin as instructed here for Unity 5 and I do not find the specified "VR" folder inside the C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data directory. I tried creating one so the path to the plugins was C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\VR\oculus. The result is when I run/play either the cubes or the room sample scene in the imported Oculus utilities package the editor crashes.

One other thing of note is that I installed Unity not on my C: drive but on another drive (E:) and I put the plug in files inside there because obviously there is no Unity folder on the C drive at all. Any ideas on what the heck I'm doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

tinymobile
Honored Guest
I figured it out, I still needed to have the 0.8.0 beta runtime installed. I thought having Oculus Home installed replaced that. I guess not.  

fonurr
Honored Guest
Does this mean we have pay for developing Oculus with Unity. Isn't 5.3.4p1 a paid version?

Cyber39
Honored Guest
@fonurr You don't have to pay. 5.3.4p1 is simply a patch or update of 5.3.4f1. Just click the link that @cybereality provided

Constellation
Expert Protege

I figured it out, I still needed to have the 0.8.0 beta runtime installed. I thought having Oculus Home installed replaced that. I guess not.  

When I installed Home it said I had to uninstall 0.8.0. Are able to get them to co-exist? The upgrade so far has been proven to be pretty painful and it would be good switch back & forth so I can still demo my old builds.

cybereality
Grand Champion

fonurr said:

Does this mean we have pay for developing Oculus with Unity. Isn't 5.3.4p1 a paid version?

No, I don't know where you heard that. Unity has an edition which is free.