cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot play in editor while developing for GearVR. (Failed to initialize libOVR CAPI Error:)

boblaublaw
Honored Guest
I am developing on a system which USED to have a Rift attached and the Oculus runtime installed.  However, I recently uninstalled the Oculus runtime and detached the Rift.

Now, when I try to work on my GearVR project in Unity, I find I am unable to press play in the editor. When I press play, a popup appears with the title "Failed to initialize LibOVR".  The popup body says "CAPI Error:" and nothing else.

I can build for my device and run it on the Gear just fine, however it is very inefficient to only be able to test by building to a device. How can I configure Unity/Oculus to not attempt to connect to an HMD which is not there?  Surely I do not require a Rift to develop for GearVR?

i am also seeing a warning which may or may not be related: 
VR rendering requires one of the following device types: (Direct3D11, Direct3D12). Your graphics device: OpenGLES3

26 REPLIES 26

boblaublaw
Honored Guest
Yes, actually, I've experienced this with the runtime uninstalled as well.  I reinstalled thinking that it might help but no such luck.

boblaublaw
Honored Guest
I'll try uninstalling and retesting again for the sake of thoroughness, but it might not happen until tonight or tomorrow.

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
If it occurs after uninstalling the Rift Runtime, you probably have a debug copy of LibOVRRT*.dll on PATH. Can you remove that and make sure OVRServer.exe isn't running? I assume you are also using the copy of OVRPlugin that came with Unity 5.6.0f3 and not some other build.

MeessenPhilips
Explorer
I had the same problem after upgrading from Unity 5.5 to 5.6. Fixed it by deleting the Temp & Library folders, all Visual Studio files and the Project Settings folder (close Unity before deleting them). After this I had to re-apply all project settings manually (cumbersome work).

boblaublaw
Honored Guest
Still looking into this - please standby!

boblaublaw
Honored Guest
Apologies for the delay getting back to you with results.  I have tried all the suggestions - unfortunately there has not been an improvement.  Specifically, I:
  • removed oculus runtime
  • confirmed there was no LibOVRRT anywhere on my system
  • confirmed OVRServer was shut down
  • deleted /Assets/OVR and /Assets/Plugins/OVRGamepad.bundle
  • reinstalled OculusUtilities-1.13.0.unitypackage to ensure OVRPlugin.cs was up to date

See attached images and let me know if anything else comes to you.

No libOVRRT anywhere:
x0a1cxmyb39r.png

No OVRServer running:
cczhlv7l4ccs.png

Note the "no HMD attached" text is now missing, but it still exits no matter which I choose:
2c9qigfvpoex.png

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
Do you have any other VR SDKs in use such as SteamVR/OpenVR? Some SDKs try to wrap LibOVR and may display messages like this when our runtime isn't installed.