cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio glitch with the reflections engine set to "on" with distant sources

Charlie_ata
Explorer
Hi Oculus team.

First of all, thanks for your last update, I do like the new features you added into your audio engine.

I experiment a bug due to the reflection engine.
When an audio source is above attenuation range min with reflections enable, the beginning of the sound is played without attenuation for few milliseconds (90% of the time), it sounds like a short "glitch".

I've done different tests to be sure it was not due to wrong settings from my side, it seems that no.
This issue was already here with the precedent version but it was happening less often.

The way to reproduce it:
-Audio sources with the Oculus attenuation enable
-Reflections enable
-Set the listener further than the min attenuation value

-If I disable the reflections, these glitch are not present anymore.
-If I use a Wwise curve for the attenuation, the glitch are not present anymore.

There is a link with an example captured from the engine:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6w6yQ3zwaRTZHVNRU9pYjZmNkE

I'm using:
-Wwise V2016.2.0
-Oculus audio sdk 1.1.5

Thanks in advance.
Charlie.
9 REPLIES 9

Charlie_ata
Explorer
I forgot to mention that this bug is not present (or not hearable) with a loop sound, only with single sounds.

pgiokaris
Explorer
Hi Charlie,

I am looking into this now. I am unable to repro within the Wwise editor based on the step above.

I did uncover an issue when the global reflection system is turned off and on again. The first time a sound plays with reflections on locally, it will glitch but sound fine with consecutive plays.

Have you tested within the editor? The position tool now works in 1.1.5 so you can set the sound position to repro that way. Our next release (1.1.6, coming out shortly) will include the fix which I described above.

Best,
Peter

Charlie_ata
Explorer

Hi Peter.

Thanks for your answer.

I've done the test from Wwise with the position editor from,
the spatialization works well but not the distance settings.

I have tried to set
different distances and ranges, the Oculus attenuation settings is never
applied, so I can't test the early reflections in that way.

The Wwise curve (if I put one) is working well.

I think only the position is applied, not the attenuation
settings from your plug-in.

You should be able to
reproduce my bug If you play a sound through a game engine, not from Wwise.

To easily reproduce it:

-Set a single play
sound with an attack at the beginning (explosion for example)

-Set a short range min
and max in the Oculus attenuation values

-Enable the reflections

-And set your listener
further than the min attenuation attenuation value.

Thanks for your time.

Best,

Charlie.

petergiokaris
Protege
Hi Charlie,

Are you using Unity for your engine? If so, do you happen to have a simple project you could send over that I could use to repro?

Thanks,
Peter
Peter Giokaris Senior Software Engineer

Charlie_ata
Explorer
Hi Peter.

We are using a custom engine developed by our team, Unfortunately I can't send you the project with the engine.
I can only send you screenshot and video if It can help.

Best,
Charlie.

pgiokaris
Explorer
Hi Charlie,

No worries, I am still digging into this issue.

Another question: Do you have multiple Oculus Spatializer plug-ins in your project? A project can only have a single instance of the spatializer; having 2 or more will confuse the reflection system and may cause a pop (as well as remove all reflections since the second (or higher) spatializer will stomp over the first spatializers global setting.

Best,
Peter

Charlie_ata
Explorer
Hi Peter.

I confirm that I use only one instance of the Oculus Spatializer plugin in my project, there is no other effect in the chain too. If it can help, there is a screenshot of the mixer settings and one of the audio sources that "glitch"

Best,
Charlie.
aqma1cwdz733.jpgcmt3g8hzwvl7.jpg

petergiokaris
Protege
Hi Charlie,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this issue. I believe we have isolated the problem and have made a fix for it (I was able to reproduce it within UE4, and the same test case also worked in the editor).

We will be updating our audio SDK to 1.1.6 very shortly which will include this fix.

Please let us know if this update fixes your problem.

Thanks, and happy 4th of July weekend :smile:

Peter
Peter Giokaris Senior Software Engineer

Charlie_ata
Explorer
Hi Peter.

Thanks for your answer.
Glad to hear that you found the issue, I'm looking forward to grab the next version.

Best,
Charlie.