cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity Editor freezing on window-focus changes in OculusVR 1.17

jaconcha
Explorer
While Oculus VR Runtime Service is running (in Windows Services), changing focus between Editor windows in any Unity project is followed by a 4-10 second freeze of all input.  The sessions appear to be affected regardless size/complexity/version, as I tested on 3 different versions with 3 different active projects and 3 new empty projects (6 total tests)

It seems to only be when you change between windows in the Unity Editor.  If you stay in one window, it's able to run smoothly.  Are there any solutions out there to this?  It's as close to blocking as a blocker can be.  It may also be related to the latest Windows 10 update, since I received both between sessions of Unity work.

But, if I stop OVR Runtime Service, it works like a dream.

Thanks for the help!
43 REPLIES 43

jaconcha
Explorer

Massycat said:

My problem seems to have been resolved by updating the drivers for the Inateck USB 3.0 pcie card that I have installed in my machine. It uses a Fresco Logic FL1100 Series controller apparently.
I grabbed the 3.8.33709.0 version drivers from the Inateck website and Unity is now working.

This worked for me, too.  Thanks for the fix!

rvpeterson
Explorer
Damn, I have the same card and I already have the 3.8.33709.0 drivers, yet I'm still having the problem 😞 

3i1bee15g0d3.jpg

Sporky
Explorer
New USB drivers didn't work for me either.  If I stop Oculus service or unplug Rift, all is fine.  Enable Oculus service or plug Rift back in and the problem comes back every time. Been waiting patiently for a fix.  Patience just about gone...  If only they'd let us go back to the previous version of Oculus Home while they figure it out. Disallowing roll-back seems a bit like hubris to me.

rvpeterson
Explorer

Sporky said:

If only they'd let us go back to the previous version of Oculus Home while they figure it out. Disallowing roll-back seems a bit like hubris to me.

This. I've not been able to work on my project since middle of last week 😞 I understand things take time to debug and fix, but letting us roll back would have saved our pitchforks from coming out

Massycat
Honored Guest
My Inateck card was using the 3.5.106 version drivers before I upgraded them to 3.8.33709.0 version.
@hoesing mentioning USB made look for more recent drivers. No clue why the newer versions work for me but not others.

jaconcha
Explorer
Those particular drivers are giving me some stutter in-device now, though.  They don't seem to run as smoothly as the older ones did.  I just can't win, lol.

jaconcha
Explorer
Yeah, I definitely spoke too soon.  Now I get slow-down and flashy-screen in-device, and after running anything once, Unity starts to slow back down.

Massycat
Honored Guest
I had to install the 3.8.33709.0 drivers twice as the first time it seemed to uninstall the old versions but not install the new versions, leaving the card using Microsoft drivers. These only do USB 2 speeds. I noticed when the Oculus app was complaining about the USB speed. Running the driver installer again fix that.
Hopefully the Unity freezing does not return for me.

Massycat
Honored Guest
Spoke too soon too.
After turning my computer back on, Unity has started to freeze for a few seconds when changing Editor views again.

rvpeterson
Explorer
Checking these threads both on here and Unity yet again to see no official word on a fix or a rollback. It's getting pretty frustrating now, and brought our development to almost a halt.

Give us a rollback to 1.16, please.