cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Windows SDK version 10.0.10586.0 was not found

brli
Honored Guest
I was following the PC SDK getting started guide, and progressed relatively smoothly until I tried to run the demos in the samples file Samples/Projects/Windows/VS2015/Samples.sln in Visual studio 2015.

I encountered the error "The windows sdk version 10.0.10586.0 was not found." I followed the steps to correct it in the guide as well: I followed the instructions: edit Project Properties → General → Target Platform Version and changed the version to 10.0.15063.0, which was the windows 10 SDK on my computer.

However, with this, the same exact error remained, "The windows sdk version 10.0.10586.0 was not found." So I went even farther, going into the Windows10SDKPaths.props file, and changed all 6 instances of 10.0.10586 to 10.0.15063. However, the same exact error popped up once again. I've tried closing Visual studio and restarting my laptop between steps, however, the result is still the same.

Can you please advise on how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8

neilsarkar
Explorer
I also had this identical issue with the VS2017 community edition that is installed automatically when you install the oculus SDK.

Just uninstalled VS2017, I'm downloading VS2015 update 3 from https://my.visualstudio.com/Downloads?q=Visual%20Studio%202015%20with%20Update%203 and will let you know if I can still reproduce this issue.

Constellation
Expert Protege
When I switched the target platform with VS 2017 Community it didn't change all the version strings in my .vcxproj file. I closed VS, edited the file manually and then I was able to get it to build.

neilsarkar
Explorer
Ok yeah so it works now. If someone else runs into this issue, here are the steps I took to fix it:

1. Add/remove programs -> click "Modify" on Visual Studio 2017, then "Uninstall"
2. Add/remove programs -> Uninstall anything matching "visual studio" or "windows sdk"
3. Download visual studio 2015 from  https://my.visualstudio.com/Downloads?q=Visual Studio 2015 with Update 3 (you may need to add access to the free visual studio dev toolkit, but you don't need to pay for a VS subscription)
4. On the VS2015 installer, check "Windows and Web Development" => "Universal Windows App Development Tools"
5. Delete sdk folder to remove previous VS files
6. Unzip sdk again and open solution
7. Right click solution => Retarget solution
8. Build

Leskonio
Honored Guest
I had the same problem, and neilsarkar's steps worked for me. I think the SDK guide could use an update to make this more clear...

zhtet
Honored Guest
Has anyone still encounter this problem in SDK 1.20? I am trying to compile OculusRoomTiny(DX12). I've retargeted everything to 10.0.14393.0 (what I have locally) and only that project is not compiling; everything compiles fine. And that's the one project I was hoping to play around with 😞
The same project works fine with an older sdk download I have locally (1.3).

Constellation
Expert Protege
Try manually editing the project file as I suggested in my earlier post.

zhtet
Honored Guest
Doh, just saw that. I was reading neilsarkar's post and missed yours. Thanks!

SonicScores
Honored Guest
I just downloaded the SDK and am getting the same error on the OculusRoomTiny(DX12) project. There are no .vcxproj files to edit olny a .sln file. I want to use VS 2017 using Contstellation's method. Any ideas?