cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity 5.6.1 - Gear VR: Choppy movements in an almost empty scene

Metal_Multiball
Heroic Explorer
Problem:  Unity 5.6.1 - Gear VR:  Choppy movements in an almost empty scene.  Samsung Galaxy 8+

If I create a new Unity project and add a simple moving sphere or a default particle emitter and publish to Gear VR, the resulting movement is choppy regardless of frame rate.
Has anyone else experienced this problem.

I will provide details if this is not already a known issue, as I have performed lots of troubleshooting tests already.
I'm hoping the solution is something simple like turning on a setting.  I have setup my project as per the Oculus and Unity documentation.
What I would love is a bare bones, empty, pre-made unity project with all the correct settings for Gear VR set, TimeManager settings, etc.

Thanks,
Steve
47 REPLIES 47

Metal_Multiball
Heroic Explorer
@JianZ

This might be cause of some problems:

I am using the Unity Asset Store to import and update the Oculus Integration package.
During the import process, multiple files do not copy over and I get an error:  Copying Temp/Export - Package/.../Assets/Plugins/x86_64/AudioPluginOculusSpatializer.dll: Access is denied.

This is preventing me from completing a clean update of the Oculus Integration package and might be the cause of the warnings and back button memory issue.
I need advice as how to update the Oculus Integration, deleting and reinstalling the AudioPluginOculusSpatializer.dll has not worked.

JianZ
Expert Protege
looks like the dll is in use ( by editor ) when you are importing, so it is unable to overwrite,  can you try to backup/delete the dll when editor is off, then try to import the package again?  then restart your editor to test .

I'll try to ping my colleague to ask what is the normal steps for updating AudioPluginOculusSpatializer.dll.

Metal_Multiball
Heroic Explorer
@JianZ

I want to share my Unity Oculus Integration package installation experience with you as there are issues.

I created a new unity project and imported the Oculus Integration package from the Asset store, a fresh start:

Unity 2017.1.0p4, Windows, Oculus Integration 1.15 from Asset Store within Unity

1 - Create new empty Unity project
2 - Import Oculus Integration 1.15 from Asset Store within Unity
3 - When import completed - save project, restart Unity, reopen project, Asset Store - Oculus Integration - re-import, to verify all items installed via the import window feedback icons:

Items still requesting update, after fresh import
- OculusPlatformSettingsEditor.cs 
- OVRPlugin.aar (Andriod)
- OVRPlugin.dll (win)
- OVRPlugin.dll (win64)
- OVRColorRampAlpha.shader
- Unlit Crosshair.shader

- Select Import to re-import the files that require updating

Error:
Multiple plugins with the same name 'ovrplugin' (found at 'Assets/OVR/Plugins/1.14.1/Win/OVRPlugin.dll' and 'Assets/OVR/Plugins/1.14.1/Win64/OVRPlugin.dll'). That means one or more plugins are set to be compatible with Editor. Only one plugin at the time can be used by Editor.

- Save Project
- Quit & Restart Unity (To ensure correct results)
- Rename Assets/OVR/Plugins/1.14.1/Win/OVRPlugin.dll to OLD_OVRPlugin.dll, to resolve conflict.  (I am on 64 bit Windows)
- Error now resolved  (Won't this keep coming back to bite me every time I update the Oculus Integration package?)

Warnings: There are warnings but I did not record them here, but I did record them the next time encountered.

Asset Store - Oculus Integration Package - Import (performing this step again to verify all package items are current)

Items requesting update, after fresh import and 2nd Import
- OLD OVRPlugin.dll (win) (it wants to update my renamed plugin!)
- OVRPlugin.dll (win64)
- Unlit Crosshair.shader

- Select Import to re-import the files that require updating

Warnings:
1 - There are inconsistent line endings in the 'Assets/OvrAvatar/Content/Materials/AvatarSurfaceShaderPBS.shader' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.
This might lead to incorrect line numbers in stacktraces and compiler errors. Many text editors can fix this using Convert Line Endings menu commands.
2 - There are inconsistent line endings in the 'Assets/OVR/Shaders/OVRColorRampAlpha.shader' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.
This might lead to incorrect line numbers in stacktraces and compiler errors. Many text editors can fix this using Convert Line Endings menu commands.
3 - There are inconsistent line endings in the 'Assets/OVR/Shaders/Unlit Crosshair.shader' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.

Asset Store - Oculus Integration Package - Import (performing this step again to verify all items are current)
Items requesting update, after 3rd Import
- OLD OVRPlugin.dll (win) (it wants to update my renamed plugin!)
- OVRPlugin.dll (win64)
- Unlit Crosshair.shader

This concludes my installation.  I am unsure if this is considered a successful installation and have no way to verify.

Thanks,
Steve

Metal_Multiball
Heroic Explorer
@palii90
Did you find a solution to the back button framerate issue?  I have not.

Metal_Multiball
Heroic Explorer
@sfaok
Did you find a solution to the back button framerate issue?  I have not.

sfaok
Protege
@stevehinan no luck, tried pretty much everything. Submitted a sample project to Unity that replicates the issue (via this thread). Hopefully they (or Oculus) can fix it. 

palii90
Protege
I have no luck also, but I think something really wrong with their system because the performance of my game is worse when I start it from the Oculus Home. And some other games of their store (not my games) have framerate issues on my device too. This has not been the case so far and it started one or two Oculus updates ago. I tried restart my phone but it did not help.

Metal_Multiball
Heroic Explorer
@JianZ

In case this is related to the back button frame rate reduction bug, when I build I have 8 warnings:

Assets/OculusPlatform/Scripts/Message.cs(13,26): warning CS0108: `Oculus.Platform.Message<T>.Callback' hides inherited member `Oculus.Platform.Message.Callback'. Use the new keyword if hiding was intended

Assets/OSPNative/scripts/ONSPAudioSource.cs(35,16): warning CS0414: The private field `ONSPAudioSource.readOnly_GlobalRelectionOn' is assigned but its value is never used

Assets/OSPNative/scripts/ONSPAudioSource.cs(36,16): warning CS0414: The private field `ONSPAudioSource.readOnly_NumberOfUsedSpatializedVoices' is assigned but its value is never used

Unknown cpu architecture for .so library (Assets/OculusPlatform/libovrplatformloader.so)
UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

Unknown cpu architecture for .so library (Assets/OSPNative/libAudioPluginOculusSpatializer.so)
UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

Assets/OculusPlatform/Scripts/Message.cs(13,26): warning CS0108: `Oculus.Platform.Message<T>.Callback' hides inherited member `Oculus.Platform.Message.Callback'. Use the new keyword if hiding was intended

Assets/OSPNative/scripts/ONSPAudioSource.cs(35,16): warning CS0414: The private field `ONSPAudioSource.readOnly_GlobalRelectionOn' is assigned but its value is never used

Assets/OSPNative/scripts/ONSPAudioSource.cs(36,16): warning CS0414: The private field `ONSPAudioSource.readOnly_NumberOfUsedSpatializedVoices' is assigned but its value is never used

JianZ
Expert Protege
"Back button issue"

hey, just an update to let you guys know we are still looking at this,  the challenge is how to stablely repro it and profiling for now.

I was using @palii90 's sample project  https://www.dropbox.com/s/fvy6vmvk5d1t83c/GearVRTest.zip?dl=0 , I think I'm able to repro it twice when gear VR developer mode is off ( in the headset ),   FPS from solid 60 to  54~60 after press the back button.   However the problem is gone before I can check more details it, then completely no repro again. And also, I never be able to repro it under gear vr developer mode. which is unfortunate.

So , I'm asking more helps here,  please share more projects and repro details if you can ( phone model / unity version / Oculus Util version / Android OS ),   (for the repro projects,  simple is better,  stable repro is better,  big performance diff is better 🙂 )

Thanks @palii90  for the repro project, which is really nice to put FPS number on the screen, and we hope to see more repro samples like his.     

sfaok
Protege
@JianZ

Here's a simple project that repros the issue on my S7 Edge (dropbox link)

Its a block of oscillating spheres with an FPS counter in middle. 

Here's a video showing before and after back button press (video)

On my S7 it is a permanent drop in performance once back button is pressed and is unmistakable. It happens under both developer mode and normal. On S6 the performance is a solid 59-60 with no issues.

Phone model : European Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935F)
Unity version : 5.6.2p4
OVRPlugin : 1.14.0
Oculus Utilities : 1.15.0
Android : 7.0 Nougat

Thanks again for looking into this.