DK2 Development kit

A forum to discuss development for the Oculus Rift.

DK2 Development kit

Postby shadeemry » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:24 am

I have been waiting on the DK2 kit to develop on, and I saw that Quarter 3 is the time that it is going to be released based on these projections. Is this a correct assumption that the DK2 models will ship in august? I reference: Image

If this is correct, and it is using your new display screens, is it also correct to assume the stereo camera support? this could kickstart my project MUCH further, and a buddy I have been in talks with will move on to developing on this platform, he rejected the initial idea due to Resolution.

On another note,

we saw this, and now were thinking of implementation into a project we are working on using the rift :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1944625487/omni-move-naturally-in-your-favorite-game

thoughts?
Last edited by shadeemry on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
shadeemry

Re: DK2 Development kit

Postby Aardschok » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:51 am

Good Q. I just ordered a Rift and assumed it had the new displays :oops:
Aardschok

Postby geekmaster » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:21 am

shadeemry wrote:... I saw that Quarter 3 is the time that it is going to be released. Is this a correct assumption that the DK2 models will ship in august? ...

Sales projections and announced release dates are not the same thing. The chart you posts contains educated guesses to assist planning, not scheduled product delivery dates.
"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. ... Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six years down the road. But he has faith it will happen." —Carl Ally
geekmaster

Postby shadeemry » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:23 am

I'm asking if the 3rd quarter shipments will be the dk2 models :P. The ones shipping in August?
shadeemry

Postby shadeemry » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:34 am

geekmaster wrote:
shadeemry wrote:... I saw that Quarter 3 is the time that it is going to be released. Is this a correct assumption that the DK2 models will ship in august? ...

Sales projections and announced release dates are not the same thing. The chart you posts contains educated guesses to assist planning, not scheduled product delivery dates.

I made the same conclusion you did, just as you pointed out, what i'm asking is to an official capacity, for a release date in different wording based on something I had read... However if the community decides that their going to post non relevant information to my question, I can always use other channels and disregard this "resource" completely.

with that said, I ask that if you don't have relevant information to post, and in short are saying yourself that "you don't know" in other words; I kindly ask you not to post so as not to fill my inbox with irrelevant information.
shadeemry

Postby mrgreen72 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:30 am

shadeemry wrote:with that said, I ask that if you don't have relevant information to post, and in short are saying yourself that "you don't know" in other words; I kindly ask you not to post so as not to fill my inbox with irrelevant information.

This is gonna end well.
mrgreen72

Postby geekmaster » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:37 am

mrgreen72 wrote:
shadeemry wrote:with that said, I ask that if you don't have relevant information to post, and in short are saying yourself that "you don't know" in other words; I kindly ask you not to post so as not to fill my inbox with irrelevant information.
This is gonna end well.

Actually, I do know (that what the OP posted required clarification). Correcting misinformation is always relevant.
http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/oculus-at-e3-2013/ wrote:The 1080p prototype isn’t a product — this isn’t necessarily the display (or even the resolution) that we’ll use for the consumer version — it’s simply a taste of what’s coming. Developers can continue building Oculus-ready content with the development kit; the Oculus SDK will automatically handle the resolution and distortion changes for the consumer version.

The 1080p Rift prototypes are just that, prototypes. Sales projections are not plans. Despite that sales projection chart, there are no firm plans to release a 1080p Rift Development Kit at this time. There is too much uninformed speculation around here. Misinterpreting a sales projection figure as a delivery date is semantically incorrect. Such misinformation requires clarification. It is unwise for a newcomer to challenging the geekmaster to an intellectual duel. BB-guns are not effective against atomic weaponry. You will learn to trust the geekmaster. Or you will not learn...
V8Griff wrote:
malfate wrote:geekmaster: Realizer of reality
Yep, and don't get into a discussion about semantics... you'll lose :lol:

@mrgreen72: ;)
Last edited by geekmaster on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. ... Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six years down the road. But he has faith it will happen." —Carl Ally
geekmaster

Postby shadeemry » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:56 am

this isn't a dual, I was hoping for an official response from an oculus team member.. Seeing as how I'm just getting flamed on this question alone, we can take our 5 million dollar budget elsewhere, we have no room for any kind of irresponsibility and I'll moderation such as this.
shadeemry

Postby shadeemry » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:01 am

And an email is so much better then this "Resource" Have a good day.

Neil (Oculus VR Support)
Jun 21 09:00 am (PDT)

Hello Shade,

The 1080p was a prototype brought out for E3 to demonstrate advancements being made on our product.

All current versions are listed on our website - https://www.oculus.com/pre-order/

Thank you for your interest and do keep an eye on future updates from our blog and news/press releases:

http://www.oculus.com/blog/
http://www.oculus.com/news/
http://www.oculus.com/press/

Looking forward to seeing what you create,

Neil

Oculus VR Support
shadeemry

Postby geekmaster » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:08 am

I posted valid information. Your sales chart is three months old, which is ages in internet time. The page you got it from even said where they got it from (GTC 2013). They also referred to the same quote I posted. Correcting misinformation is not "flaming".

The email you posted also clearly states that the 1080p prototype is just that, a prototype, not a DK2.

I was just providing additional relevant information, to help people make informed decisions. If you decide to misinterpret that is an insult, that is a personal problem. Five million dollars is peanuts, nothing to brag about, especially when you want to buy a non-existent product. Although they are very tasty peanuts, indeed. I suggest that if you plan to develop, purchase the DK1. If not, wait for the consumer version. It is as simple as that.

No disrespect intended on my part.
Last edited by geekmaster on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
geekmaster

Postby spire8989 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:10 am

Why would you come to a developer forum, get legit responses from developers to a very well known question and then be whiny about it? Geekmaster told you the truth, we all know there is no 1080p kit. Common knowledge here.
spire8989

Postby shadeemry » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:25 am

Thank you all for your posts, very insightful.
shadeemry

Postby mrgreen72 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:45 am

Anytime!
mrgreen72

Postby kariiato » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:51 am

I cancelled my DK1 order when I heard about the DK2 which in hindsight was a mistake but I really want the HD display. What is interesting in the graph above is they assume a exponential growth in sales. Plus I am more of a hobbyist than a full fledged developer.

Though their sales figures are not released you can interpret it fairly easily from this web page http://riftorders.aws.af.cm/. It's been fairly linear in growth. It may have dipped a little since E3 but there is too little data to confirm that but the sales rate seems to match their current production rate. Like me I imagine that there is a fair bit of trapped demand for a DK2 type product but there is still little content until the vorpx driver ships.

I believe the product currently is for developers and the current product meets that need.

I've worked in manufacturing and product and parts pipelines are really hard to manage (especially parts). A supplier manufacturing 1500 units per week has a takt time if working two shifts with overtime of about 4 minutes. So we are not talking a large operation. The venture funding they received last week was probably largely so they could procure the HD displays and other parts they needed for their supply chain of the consumer device.

Given that the prototypes only just go produced expect a minimum of three months to turn it around to a full scale product.

Several web sites have mention the LG display which retails for under $80 as the main display but I also noticed they had only three available. HD phone displays are an in demand product, I clearly made a mistake cancelling my DK1.
kariiato

Postby geekmaster » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:44 am

Just FYI, shadeemry and I have had an ongoing friendly PM discussion since the above posts. I reworded a post above to sound better, because my humorous choice of language could be misinterpreted as derogatory. Sometimes a dictionary definition and how it is interpreted do not necessarily mesh well in context. Sorry about that...
:D
geekmaster

Postby vin » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:04 pm

That's it, I'm taking my 44.3 billion dollars elsewhere.
vin

Postby geekmaster » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:42 pm

vin wrote:That's it, I'm taking my 44.3 billion dollars elsewhere.

Meh, 44.3 gigabucks is just peanuts! Lots and lots of peanuts, and tasty too! Yumm... ;)

geekmaster

Postby mrgreen72 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:47 pm

vin wrote:That's it, I'm taking my 44.3 billion dollars elsewhere.

:lol:
mrgreen72

Postby Slopey » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:47 pm

shadeemry wrote:we can take our 5 million dollar budget elsewhere, we have no room for any kind of irresponsibility and I'll moderation such as this.

That's the kind of comment that someone who doesn't have a 5 million budget makes. If you do have a 5 million budget, go speak to Palmer - and you'll likely get a few prototypes to play with!
Slopey

Postby Inscothen » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:23 pm

kariiato wrote:I cancelled my DK1 order when I heard about the DK2 which in hindsight was a mistake but I really want the HD display.

Several web sites have mention the LG display which retails for under $80 as the main display but I also noticed they had only three available. HD phone displays are an in demand product, I clearly made a mistake cancelling my DK1.

If you do get a devkit(DK1) you could take spare eye cups and make a little "rift viewer."

take a smaller higher resolution panel(with an appropriate driver board) and make a housing for it with the spare lens cups configured like the Rift(make the eyecups-to-screen distance adjustable since you'd only have one set).

That way you could use the Devkit to work on games mechanics and level design, sense of scale, etc... and use the viewer box to target your assets for a high resolution Devkit or consumer Rift. It wouldn't have the tracker so it'll be like a desktop display but it would offer a peak into the Rift. :D
Inscothen

Return to “Oculus General Development”