Controlling movement with a Wii Balance Board

Discussions on input devices/methods for virtual reality.

Re: Controlling movement with a Wii Balance Board

Postby whoisrich » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:49 pm

Version 0.4 now available:

Download the latest version

- Fixed 'Do Nothing' actually doing mouse movements, oops!
- Added option to have your balance act as a virtual Joystick.

For games like HL2 running the default Joystick.cfg should work, for other games that only support the XBox 360 controller, you will need to setup the x360ce program to relay the virtual joystick axis.
whoisrich

Postby Infinimitsu » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:49 am

You are a scholar and a gentleman, sir. Any way I can "buy you coffe"?: http://ko-fi.com/
Infinimitsu

Postby dangeROSS » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:02 pm

Nice! I'll have to check it out this week. Thanks for all the constant updates on the program too. That's great to see. I've got a Video here playing Team Fortress 2 with the Balance Board. And I should have another in a few days with the Balance Board being used as a seat with my Desk Chair.

dangeROSS

Postby dangeROSS » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:58 am

Alright here is the video using the Balance Board as a Seat. It works well, however you need a wide enough seat to use it like this. My chair was barely wide enough. It suffered a bit because of it. I did end up trying it on a larger chair, and the results were better.

dangeROSS

Postby Felix12g » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:42 pm

Interesting. Wonder how it'll perform with a cushion on top of the board?
Code Monkey
Felix12g

Postby miroku000 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:36 am

whoisrich wrote:Thanks Aaebel, I had not seen that, cool :D

v0.2 is now ready to go with many improvements:

- Bluetooth management with permanent sync!
- Actions can be customized.
- Jumping support!
- Better compatibility with official Wii board.
- Made it clearer when actions are not enabled.

Download latest version from:
http://www.greycube.com/site/download.php?view.68

- If you use the jumping option while standing up and using the rift,
please film and upload to YouTube when you fall over.

- Now with the options, I recommend people try flipping strafe and turn,
as I actually found it quite natural to navigate.

Wii Balance Walker is awesome! If it was a Unity Plugin that worked like this on Windows PCs, I would totally buy it.
miroku000

Postby rirath » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:01 pm

whoisrich wrote:Version 0.4 now available:

For games like HL2 running the default Joystick.cfg should work, for other games that only support the XBox 360 controller, you will need to setup the x360ce program to relay the virtual joystick axis.

Many, many thanks for your continued work on this! Just picked up a used Balance Board at GameStop yesterday for a mere $20 just for this. Super affordable alternative to something like the Omni. Though the functionality is of course a bit different, I actually see this as being far more practical.

Don't have my Rift just yet, so my usage is a tad limited - but watching this with interest!
rirath

Postby rirath » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:27 pm

One more post - first attempt at it with Tuscany + Hydra + Balance Board went fairly swimmingly. Combined with the Rift for looking around, I think this'll prove to be a lot of fun. Tried standing then sitting, and personally, I much prefer sitting so far. Left / right was much harder while sitting, but I'm OK with that. Even used as little more than foot pedals, the current going rate for a used Balance Board is still a decent value.

Think I'll wear shoes next time though - with just socks, my feet are feeling a little 'warm' from the little ridges on the board.
rirath

Postby dangeROSS » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:35 pm

So I got a chance to download the new version of the Balance Walker program. Very cool. I haven't really played around with the joystick option, but that seems like it could be great.

I did download new Bluetooth Stack software - The Toshiba Bluetooth Stack - From here:
http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/15160/

This has made it about a hundred times easier for me to connect the Balance Board to the Walker program. Using the default Windows Bluetooth stack apparently really sucks. I would have to go through quite a process in the past, everytime I wanted to use the program. Being able to disconnect and reconnect alot easier has made me a happy camper.
dangeROSS

Postby vannoo67 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:01 pm

dangeROSS wrote:I did download new Bluetooth Stack software - The Toshiba Bluetooth Stack - From here:
http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/15160/

Thanks for this tip. I wrestled with 2 different BT dongles and 4 different stacks. It was the Toshiba stack that finally worked for me.
vannoo67

Postby dangeROSS » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 pm

Nice, glad it worked for you. The default Microsoft Bluetooth Stack was such a pain compared to the Toshiba one I'm using now. I sort of figured that Microsoft's version would be just as good as anything else out there, which is totally not the case.

I was playing around with the balance board and some space flight games last night, I think it works pretty well for them too. I may try to do another video at some point.
dangeROSS

Postby Tbone » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:25 pm

An omni balance board - someone figure out how to do this!

I also think Oculus should make wristbands for positional tracking alongside the positional tracking of the Rift.
The Furious Angels
- an Oculus Rift Online Gaming Community!
Tbone

Postby KydDynoMyte » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:28 am

Surely someone else already posted this but I can't find it. How would this work out? Might make jumping a lot easier. Might make everything easier without falling off the board.

http://hacknmod.com/hack/sneakers-wii-balance-board-nike-wiis/
KydDynoMyte

Postby whoisrich » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:04 am

Shoe sensors would certainly help with falling off the board, but the big problem is balance while being shown images that conflict with your inner ear.

At a theme park there was a big tent where they projected the view from a rollercoaster, everyone standing up would start to wobble and nearly fall over, and this effect is magnified with the Rift.

So unless the display always shows an accurate view of a persons relative ground position like in the VR Arcade, people will either need to be sitting down, or have some sort of safety restraint like waist hoop on the Virtuix Omni.
whoisrich

Postby Tbone » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:07 pm

I've found that if I stand when I'm standing in the virtual world and sit when I'm supposed to sit, I'm fine. I've never lost my balance doing things like hopping on a moving train in HL2. Especially when you are using a balance board, the worst that can happen is losing your balance a bit and stepping off the board. It's not like a treadmill where you are actually building momentum and losing your balance could sent you tumbling around.

I like the idea of a larger board instead of a smaller. So instead of having shoes where you have to stand perfectly straight to not move, you'd have a larger circular board where you could take a small step in the direction you want to go. When you want to stop, return your feet to the center/neutral. To go back, take a small step back. Etc.
The Furious Angels
- an Oculus Rift Online Gaming Community!
Tbone

Postby wildermuthn » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:47 pm

How about attaching a pole and handlebars to the balance board, like a scooter?
wildermuthn

Postby KydDynoMyte » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:44 am

wildermuthn wrote:How about attaching a pole and handlebars to the balance board, like a scooter?

VRSegway?

I wonder if that Tony Hawk Ride/Shred board will connect to the PC like the Balance Board? The Xbox & Playstaion bundle versions have been on sale at Tuesday Morning B&M stores for $5 lately. I haven't been able to find the Wii version.
KydDynoMyte

Postby wildermuthn » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:47 pm

KydDynoMyte wrote:
wildermuthn wrote:How about attaching a pole and handlebars to the balance board, like a scooter?

VRSegway?

Exactly. Would be nice to be able to lean in any direction, even if you only moved a few inches, rather than just shifting weight on a board. Might give a good sense of movement to counter some of the naseau, too.

I remember the Amazon guy talking about how they were going to redesign cities to suit the Segway. Hilarious. But maybe a VRSegway would work, considering we don't have to spend billions redesigning our country.
wildermuthn

Postby LaurentMT » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:06 pm

wildermuthn wrote:Exactly. Would be nice to be able to lean in any direction, even if you only moved a few inches, rather than just shifting weight on a board. Might give a good sense of movement to counter some of the naseau, too.

I remember the Amazon guy talking about how they were going to redesign cities to suit the Segway. Hilarious. But maybe a VRSegway would work, considering we don't have to spend billions redesigning our country.

Here it is ! The "human joystick" aka the "joyman".

LaurentMT

Postby wildermuthn » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:30 pm

LaurentMT wrote:
Here it is ! The "human joystick" aka the "joyman".

Great! Could one hack together a joyman with used parts on the cheap?
wildermuthn

Return to “Input Devices”