interpupillary distance

Share and discuss any and all Oculus related topics.

interpupillary distance

Postby jaimi » April 17th, 2013, 7:09 am

Is the interpupillary distance on the lenses adjustable (like in binoculars or microscopes)? While mine is still in the normal range, it is on the high side of normal. If the distance between lenses is not adjustable, does it make any difference that the eye will not be centered?
jaimi

Re: interpupillary distance

Postby cybereality » April 17th, 2013, 12:30 pm

The IPD of the lenses is not currently adjustable, but it's something we're considering for the consumer version.
Oculus - Community Manager
cybereality
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby Grimmopher » April 18th, 2013, 12:44 am

My inter pupillary distance is about a centimeter larger than the dev kit's. I can still see fairly well, but both eyes are looking straight into the beginning of the distortion on the lenses making the image significantly blurrier than it would be otherwise. It would make us large headed people (and probably anyone with a smaller head as well) pretty happy if we could adjust the lenses.
Grimmopher

Postby Nyrad » April 23rd, 2013, 11:17 am

I hope i can use this thread for my question:

i got my kit yesterday and used it for a while but something just didn't fit right and i got very motion sick even after a few minutes. At first i changed the eye cups to "B" which helped a bit since i'm a little bit shortsighted. I also thought it would help if i went and got my ipd at an optician. She said it was 35,5 per eye so that would be 71 mm right? The weird thing is that when i put this number in for example the Unity Demos (like Tuscany) or the UDK (via stereo e=0.071) everything is much much worse until i slowly go back to around 65. So did i miss something here?
Nyrad

Postby PatrickBauer » April 23rd, 2013, 11:42 am

Maybe you could try the TF2 test system? It tries to calculate your IPD based on your current view.
PatrickBauer

Postby Capyvara » April 23rd, 2013, 12:41 pm

My IPD is about 70mm (measured by an pupilometer), TF2 vr_calibration measures 69 mm and the view looks ok in the game, but all the Unity demos, any IPD to > 67 mm already causes the stereo to not fuse for me, actually it looks better if I simply leave it at 64mm.
Capyvara

Postby spyro » April 23rd, 2013, 12:54 pm

Capyvara wrote:My IPD is about 70mm (measured by an pupilometer), TF2 vr_calibration measures 69 mm and the view looks ok in the game, but all the Unity demos, any IPD to > 67 mm already causes the stereo to not fuse for me, actually it looks better if I simply leave it at 64mm.

Hi, how did you manage to change the IPD? I couldn't find the setting...

spyro
spyro

Postby jaimi » April 23rd, 2013, 1:56 pm

The unity sdk has the options in the OculusUnityIntegrationGuide.pdf on page 5. There are actually quite a few. Anyway, to change the IPD, hit the space bar to bring up the configuration menu, and then use - and = to change the IPD listed. I also found it much better to lower the player height (5 & 6), to around 1.5 meters, even though I'm not that short. :)
jaimi

Postby Nyrad » April 23rd, 2013, 11:08 pm

PatrickBauer wrote:Maybe you could try the TF2 test system? It tries to calculate your IPD based on your current view.

i did thanks for the recommendation

Capyvara wrote:My IPD is about 70mm (measured by an pupilometer), TF2 vr_calibration measures 69 mm and the view looks ok in the game, but all the Unity demos, any IPD to > 67 mm already causes the stereo to not fuse for me, actually it looks better if I simply leave it at 64mm.

you could be on to something here! i had the same ~ 71 ipd with the tf2 calibration that my optician told me but when i put the same number in the unity or udk demos it also doesnt fuse at all.

With the all these settings changes my eyes or my body were really whole motion sick (3d sick?) again. I think i take a Rift-Day off because it got so worse that i laid on the couch for a few hours drinking Ginger Tea.
Nyrad

Postby geekmaster » April 24th, 2013, 6:14 am

The more your IPD deviates from the 64mm lens position, the more tangential distortion correction is needed. Moving the IPD of the displayed images to match your eyes is not enough. Tangential distortion from lens offset (not viewing through the optical axis) is asymmetrical, magnifying one side more than the other, which causes a vertical disparity between eyes preventing stereoscopic vergence for portions of the screen. An offset lens position also causes significant additional chromatic aberration, making CA correction even more important.

For devices with adjustable IPD, radial distortion correction alone may be enough. For a device non-adjustable lens IPD (like the RiftDK), tangential distortion correction is NOT optional, and chromatic aberration correction is quite important too.

Another problem with non-adjustable lenses is that the distance between lens and screen is also not adjustable, making it impossible to focus accurately for some people. But even with focus, the RiftDK lenses rely heavily on viewing through the "sweet spot" (optical axis) to achieve a good focus.

The RiftDK would benefit GREATLY from replacement eyecups with mechanically adjustable IPD and focus (lens distance from screen) adjustments. But even with the standard optics that come with the RiftDK, we can do MUCH better with software lens distortion correction.

I am hoping that the "Interpupillary distance configuration utility, API" listed in the OculusVR "Upcoming Features" list includes tangential distortion correction and chromatic aberration correction. If not, I will be greatly disappointed...

For those who claim the added distortion corrections will require too much computation per frame, I say to stop doing any computations per frame and use a displacement (warp) map instead, which caches pre-computed pixels shifts, so that calculation complexity does not matter. People here have claimed that using warp-mapping instead of real-time calculation yields a 2.4x to 3.8x speedup for the pre-warp process. And such a warp map can include the extra distortion corrections I suggested above. I would reserve some of the pixel bits for extra red and blue shift though, for chromatic aberration correction.
geekmaster

Postby fschulze » April 24th, 2013, 6:36 am

I guess I will either try correction with a better warp map or by 3d printing asymmetrical eyecups. I'm not sure how tightly the lenses are fit into the current eyecups though, it even looks like they may be glued in. I notice slight distortions because my IPD is ~67mm vs the 64mm of the Rift.
fschulze

Postby Nyrad » April 27th, 2013, 8:50 am

Is there any way to calculate the right ipd settings for Unity/UDK based on your optrician measurement?
Nyrad

Postby DieKatzchen » April 28th, 2013, 9:06 am

Certainly. But people have reported that the IPD that is comfortable for them in games may be a millimeter or two off from their true IPD as measured by an optician. It may even vary between games. So it's easier to start with your actual IPD and then fiddle with it until it is comfortable.
DieKatzchen

Postby daevfinn » October 8th, 2013, 7:27 pm

I got my Oculus Rift today, and although I'm happy, I'm not really happy with the documentation. There is a lot of documentation about the science, but not a step by step in how to change the interpupillary distance, or what files to edit. Additionally, things like the configuration setup don't work for me.

I have tried using keyboard shortcuts to change the settings, but I'm not sure how this is supposed to work. If it's supposed to work in game, then I can't see how that would work when I've programmed all the keyboard settings.

Can anyone point me to a step by step right now for setting up the interpupillary distance for UDK?

Finally, granted I'm not feeling well. This is my first day back trying to get game work done after having my studio effectively destroyed by the floods here in Colorado. I'm physically and mentally broken down, but the Rift doesn't feel good on my face, it sort of hurts like hell. No on has mentioned that that I've seen yet.
daevfinn

Return to “Oculus General Discussion”