Question For Motion Sickness Sufferers

Share and discuss any and all Oculus related topics.

Re: Question For Motion Sickness Sufferers

Postby raidho36 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:17 am

I never feel the car or train sickness, but I do feel sea sickness. I haven't got my Rift yet, so I don't know what to expect really.

But it seems to emerge a pattern - people who are easier get motion sick in reality, are getting less motion sick in VR, and vice versa.

I think it's entirely possible to overcome VR motion sickness, by training your brain. Which is more commonly referred as "pushing it through". That's basically the same way you overcome constant bad smells, and similar unpleasant but persistent conditions. If you can do it for long enough without breaking the "contact", your brain is forced to adjust to compensate for it, as a result it stops bothering you, even though you can still notice it if you concentrate on it specifically.
raidho36

Postby Johnnychaos » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:08 am

Its different to motion sickness.

With motion sickness your body tells your brain you are moving, but the information from your eyes says you're not.
With simulator sickness your eyes tell your brain you are moving, but your body says you aren't.
Both situations cause a conflict of information which causes your body to react as if it was poisoned, which is why it makes you sick.

So similar to motion sickness, but the movement information is given to a different sense, so not unusual that each one would affect different people.

You can get used to it of course. But the quickest way is to sit there with a bucket next to you and keep playing until your body gets the message lol.
You can also use travel sick remedies. ive used some travel pills and was totally fine. Going to get some of those pressure wrist bands to try next.
Johnnychaos

Postby defog » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:20 pm

brorsan wrote:Noticed last night that alcohol really keeps the motion sickness away. Kinda expected the opposite....

I was just going to post the exact same thing! :) Had a few beers and for the first time didn't feel sick after playing for about an hour. And I did play all kinds of games that made me feel sick just yesterday.

I must drink more... for science!
defog

Postby buzz » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:20 pm

hahahaha not that is something i would have never thought of doing drinking and the Rift just sounds like a bad idea ..

I also suffer from the Rift Sickness so i have been doing a little bit each day to try and get me used to it ...

Heli hell is by far my most favorite demo but it makes me the most sick expecially if i use strafe keys (A,D)

Good grief my heads is going silly just thinking about this WTF ??!!!! Really my head is feeling wobbly and slightly spinny
how is this possible ?????
buzz

Postby brorsan » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:28 pm

buzz wrote:hahahaha not that is something i would have never thought of doing drinking and the Rift just sounds like a bad idea ..

I also suffer from the Rift Sickness so i have been doing a little bit each day to try and get me used to it ...

Heli hell is by far my most favorite demo but it makes me the most sick expecially if i use strafe keys (A,D)

Good grief my heads is going silly just thinking about this WTF ??!!!! Really my head is feeling wobbly and slightly spinny
how is this possible ?????

Hehe, yeah, alcohol + rift seems like a terrible idea on paper! But it's really weird how the motion sickness just disappeared after a few beers... :)

The reaction of just thinking of heli hell and getting wobbly is the same as if you're thinking of standing on a high ledge looking down and feel the vertigo... Your imagination can call up a physical response.
brorsan

Postby RedAndBlue » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:25 pm

yeah, as I read this I'm getting nauseous! Why am I reading about sickness while I feel sick.
It's like when you drink too much and yak, then all you can think about is food and you see food on tv and smell food out the window and blaaarghhghhh!

I'll try the beer solution tonight! After taking some Ginger pills.
RedAndBlue

Postby vonFelty » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:25 pm

Yeah earlier today, between classes, I played some Minecraft on the Rift and I got pretty queasy.

After dinner I acquired a six pack and played Minecraft for about 2 hours without getting sick. Taking a break now though. I'm not sure if my IPD settings are off or the C cups aren't doing it well and I should try my glasses.

I'm thinking about investing in contacts though.
vonFelty

Postby pappythefoo » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:44 pm

RedAndBlue wrote:yeah, as I read this I'm getting nauseous! Why am I reading about sickness while I feel sick.
It's like when you drink too much and yak, then all you can think about is food and you see food on tv and smell food out the window and blaaarghhghhh!

Indeed, it's not so much motion sickness as heavy drinking.
Ordered : 20 Sep 2013 Number : 74XXX Status : Arrived
Holy Blessed Email : Nov 5
Arrived : Nov 13
Shipping Email : Nov 14
pappythefoo

Postby RedAndBlue » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:31 pm

pappythefoo wrote:
RedAndBlue wrote:yeah, as I read this I'm getting nauseous! Why am I reading about sickness while I feel sick.

Well I thought I might as well compound the effects last night.
I drank 4 Great Lakes Christmas Ales while Rifting, 2 before starting. Definitely helped with the in-game motion sickness. But then again, I haven't really felt that bad while in the Rift.
I woke up this morning feeling better than I did the morning before. But, here it is 3:30pm, I haven't been in the Rift for 12 hours (I had a late night) and I feel pretty ill. The slight swaying my body is doing as I look at the monitor is making me feel horrible. And that is with two 550mg ginger pills, one in the morning and one after lunch.
I can't wait for this to pass.
RedAndBlue

Postby pappythefoo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:31 pm

RedAndBlue wrote:
pappythefoo wrote:

Well I thought I might as well compound the effects last night.
I drank 4 Great Lakes Christmas Ales while Rifting, 2 before starting. Definitely helped with the in-game motion sickness. But then again, I haven't really felt that bad while in the Rift.
I woke up this morning feeling better than I did the morning before. But, here it is 3:30pm, I haven't been in the Rift for 12 hours (I had a late night) and I feel pretty ill. The slight swaying my body is doing as I look at the monitor is making me feel horrible. And that is with two 550mg ginger pills, one in the morning and one after lunch.
I can't wait for this to pass.

My bad, I was trying to say the effect we get after rifting is similar to what we get after heavy drinking.
I get the same symptom as yours, like just watching 2D monitor after rifting compound the illness.

btw I get weird feeling(like my brain is expressing rejection) especially when I go down stairs in virtual world.
Do you get the same effect doing that?
Ordered : 20 Sep 2013 Number : 74XXX Status : Arrived
Holy Blessed Email : Nov 5
Arrived : Nov 13
Shipping Email : Nov 14
pappythefoo

Postby RedAndBlue » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:46 am

Thought I'd reply without all the quote.
Yes, I did get that feeling that my brain was rejecting what it was seeing. In the first week, my brain was in freefall. Okay, that's overstating it. But I definitely was experiencing some sort of weird IRL Recalibration!

But...3 weeks since I got my Rift and the motion sickness is gone. As a matter of fact, I just got out of playing Half Life 2 with the Hydra mod and I feel perfectly fine. Lunar Flight for 4 hours, if you subtract bathroom breaks and refilling water! (time gets away from you when you're inside)

I think we just need to stress to people that the vr sickness is our brain adjusting to this wholly new experience.
At first glance through the goggles, it seems familiar, but it's a new paradigm of visual experience. It seems right, when we turn our head, or tilt from shoulder to shoulder, but then we try to stand up and WAM! weirdness. Then you press the thumbstick forward WHAAMM! "That don't feel right!" Let me try turning with the thumbstick. Ugh...

For most people, hopefully it will pass within a month or so. For others, they will have to wait for the technology to catch up to them and they still may be limited to 1:1 positional tracking in small rooms, a "translation free" experiences. Or cockpit based movement as a start.

But there's a reason why most of us are having such strong reactions to vr, and it's not just the low resolution, motion blur, or latency. Those factors add to it, but the real reason is that it is so convincing even in it's current state, that the discrepancies between vision and inner ear start setting off alarms that something must be physically wrong with your body. "You must be poisoned! Now Puke!" But it seems like the good news is that it passes for the most part. Your brain won't be broken forever, it just folds these new sensations into the overall package and moves on. Personally I feel a little mentally evolved to have adapted to this. I hope that in 10 years I'm able to navigate a virtual universe at any speed I want with barrel rolls and loopedy loops.

TL;DR - Anecdotally, I got through the vr sickness. And so can you! (Hopefully ;) )
RedAndBlue

Postby stereoman » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:09 pm

Weird thing for me is when I get sick if I put Eden Lake on and just relax for a while it goes away fast, if I take a break away from the rift it seems to take longer to recover, alcohol definitely helps tho I played Metro Last Light for a good few hours last night after a few whiskies and had zero motion sickness, I think the sickness is exacerbated if you use your head to much when moving around tho, I still use a controller for most of my movement, i'm used to stereoscopic 3d tho and the headaches that go with it I've used it for years but the Rift is something else entirely, i'm hopeful i'll get my VR legs pretty quick tho, I think the best advice for now is to push through it but give Eden Lake a whirl when you next get sick and just relax, see if it works for you.
stereoman

Postby Ph0t0n » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:11 am

Good to hear RedAndBlue! I will keep "practicing" and maybe become a jedi too!
Ph0t0n

Postby subn3t » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:40 pm

I got my DK1 in the mail today. I thought I'd be a veteran due to months of using nVidia 3D Vision on high depth settings. Wrong! The head tracking does a good job of making it seem like you're actually in the virtual world, but once the OR comes off is when the epic migraine and nausea hit me. My wife tried it out and had a pretty similar reaction.

I guess I'll keep trying small doses over the next few days.
subn3t

Postby RitRone » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:05 pm

Someone below mentioned the travel wrist bands .. .anyone have feedback on how helpful they are while I get my rift legs? (DK2 due in August ... and I get motion sick looking at a seaside post card - but I am not missing out on this tech!)
RitRone

Postby 1karl1 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:36 pm

subn3t wrote:I got my DK1 in the mail today. I thought I'd be a veteran due to months of using nVidia 3D Vision on high depth settings. Wrong! The head tracking does a good job of making it seem like you're actually in the virtual world, but once the OR comes off is when the epic migraine and nausea hit me. My wife tried it out and had a pretty similar reaction.

I guess I'll keep trying small doses over the next few days.

Yeah plenty of breaks and watch the fast head movements . I was similar to you in that i'm a long time 3d gamer,never had any motion sickness in my life , i got used to the motion of whatever character i was playing in DK1 including borderlands siren phase-walking , i just imagined like i was on a segway or something but the motion blur was what got me in HL2 with fast head movements . It does creep up on you and i was absolutely gutted to not want to play anymore because of that .
1karl1

Postby Shaz » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:10 am

I suffer from motion sickness. However, my rift experience was not too bad ( I didn't need any travel sickness med:)). I realized that if I follow these tips, I am less likely to feel the sickness ( if at all).

1. Reduce head motions to a minimum unless really needed. Slow head movements
2. Every time you realize that you are not centered, stop and realign your center to face the camera*
3. Don't play in empty stomach or sleep deprived state
4. Stop using the mouse or joystick to look around, instead turn your head but with no sudden jerks
5. Adjust your walking/running or movement distance to a reasonable zoom out, such that you are not too close to the subject
6. If you start feeling sick, stop, get some fresh air and continue later on

* Centering really helped a lot. You realize that you are not centered when your movements are not in the direction that you are looking.
Shaz

Return to “Oculus General Discussion”