3D Webcam FOR OCULUS RIFT

Share and discuss any and all Oculus related topics.

3D Webcam FOR OCULUS RIFT

Postby CyborgMcloud » January 31st, 2014, 1:16 pm

check out my finished experimental project: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/3d-webcam

now I'm trying to rise funds - to produce it

basically what this does is:
reading stream from two webcameras, posting them to remote server - and then to remote client, remote client rX, rY, rZ data (from oculus G sensor) is transmitted to the server and to the "3D webcam" - and it turns accordingly

taaa-daaa

u have a real time 3D webcamera with freedom of movement

looking for contributors, and just ordinary cheer and support, here: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/3d-webcam/x/6220875
CyborgMcloud

Re: 3D Webcam FOR OCULUS RIFT

Postby cybereality » January 31st, 2014, 2:35 pm

Looks cool!

How is the lag?
Oculus - Community Manager
cybereality
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby welby » January 31st, 2014, 2:54 pm

It's a cool idea!!

But i've a doubt. :o

One of the most exciting features of Oculus is that the headtracking is really low-latency but how i can see in the video there is a sensible latency between head movement and webcam movement.

This means that unfortunately you don't take all the advantage of Oculus,but the most import problem is the motion-sickness. More latency==More motion-sickness,so it's possible that's not really comfortable to use it?

However i think it's normal have a little bit of latency if you have transmitted another time all the signals.

If i've tell something wrong you can correct me without problem : )

Edit: I've missed the post of CyberReality,if i had read it all my sentence could be synthesized in "How is the Lag?" lol.. XD
welby

Postby CyborgMcloud » January 31st, 2014, 7:15 pm

first of all - lag in this version is artificial (0.1 seconds between every other reading/ position switch) this is to simulate "how it would be" to manipulate this device - by internet, from a distance

when actually using it - lag does not seem any problem, actually - but video quality - is. and by video quality - I mean the oculus developer kit DPI - really sucks looking around and not seeing clear object "lines"

I don't know why, lag really does not give u any "bad feeling" or feeling of "non presence"

I'll upload some more videos today
CyborgMcloud

Postby Peejle » January 31st, 2014, 9:34 pm

Can you point out the advantages over a 360 degree spherical camera?
Thanks.

Peejle
Peejle

Postby CyborgMcloud » January 31st, 2014, 9:46 pm

Peejle: 360 spherical camera? - if u'll show one to me, may be I could compare...

new video
CyborgMcloud

Postby sven » February 1st, 2014, 7:39 am

Some of the advantages of this approach versus 360° panoramic cameras are:
  • a lot less bandwidth required for good quality video
  • 3d video even when head is tilted
  • optical zoom could be added quite easily (could cause nausea perhaps? it would be like looking around with binoculars in real life)
  • if you are watching someone, they can tell you are looking their way
  • it looks cute! :lol:
I can imagine a future version that would allow limited positional movement. Have you thought about how to add that?

Btw, when looking at the first video at 0:35, it seems like the angle of the robot is different than your head's angle.
sven

Postby CyborgMcloud » February 1st, 2014, 8:14 am

Sven

yeap, I'm still trying to find best real/webcam angle ratio - the fact is that, it appears, a person does not want to turn with his whole body to just look on 90 degrees sideways, so I'm experimenting with different values, to find ones that will "feel" natural and be comfortable - for a person sitting in front of computer

yes ofcourse we have thought, discussed and made plans about a moving platform, I think in some offices they could even sacrifice one notebook to some "moving robot" with 3D camera on it, so that someone being somewhere far away could actually navigate at ur office(warehouse etc.)

one of the great features actually is that "u know where the other, remote person, is looking to right now" thing, this way it's really communicative, u even can use "head gestures"

right now it takes somewhere around 200-250kb/sec for both eyes... which is "ok" for internet in one countries, but "too much upload rate" for others... I'm trying to find better ways of compression - to keep 3D feel... most of compressions are based on "not moving background" - which is not a choice here... so that's one of the big challenges right now
CyborgMcloud

Postby Peejle » February 1st, 2014, 10:46 am

sven wrote:Some of the advantages of this approach versus 360° panoramic cameras are:
a lot less bandwidth required for good quality video

This jumps out as a major advantage. Thanks for the insight.

Peejle
Peejle

Postby Marulu » February 1st, 2014, 11:11 am

It would be great if you could mount the cameras in such a way that you can move them using software.
That way you could set your IPD, just have the camera app read the Rift utility and send the ipd over.
Marulu

Postby mstdesigns » February 1st, 2014, 11:36 am

Now that's something awesome. Just wow. I mean it doesn't even have to be a camera just having a replicator of your head is awesome :lol: 8-)
mstdesigns

Postby andyr123 » February 1st, 2014, 11:19 pm

Interesting for telepresence applications. I could see this being very successful for Video Conferencing - where lag isn't such as issue.

The movement seems very jerky - maybe due to the motors you are using?
andyr123

Postby CyborgMcloud » February 2nd, 2014, 4:55 am

as I have mentioned in the description - jerking is caused by "intiating move only if change is more than 5 degrees" - for me this mode seems a lot more "relevant" than "smooth follow" - where u can barely recognize objects while camera constantly moves a little bit
CyborgMcloud

Postby Werbel » February 2nd, 2014, 5:58 am

For a webcam it looks great, but had you any thoughts about attaching it to quadracopter?
Werbel

Postby CyborgMcloud » February 2nd, 2014, 7:37 am

urgent: I'm looking for some beta testers with oculus rift to test remote control/camera view using internet

please someone write me ur facebook name in Personal Messages
CyborgMcloud

Postby welby » February 2nd, 2014, 9:56 am

Ok,i think i was the first beta tester of the 3D Webcam for Oculus Rift and i have to say that's really amazing and impressive.

There was some latency obivusly because it was with a remote server control,but i have to say that this is not a big issues because this isn't absolutely the same situation that you have when you play a game with a lot of latency.

However i guess it's something 5 Fps.

I have no motion sickness after 5 minutes that i've tried it(if you play a game with 5FPS you'll feel MUCH worst),so it was something like the common videochat with webcam,the latency was more or less the same.

The 3D effect was really cool,i hadn't try with more specific 3D effect (like item very close to the cam) but i could see clear the 3D into the space and it was really cool.

I see a great future for this software and this kind of application!

Good job and thanks for share it and to give me the chance to try it!

:D

Edit: The latency can seems more than it really was,I was watching really slow because i didn't know where i can watch,but actually can be much better than this and the speed of the "robot" can be more fast.
Last edited by welby on February 2nd, 2014, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
welby

Postby CyborgMcloud » February 2nd, 2014, 10:04 am

video of welby-is beta test(from my point of view):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFpEqA-i-YU&feature=youtu.be
CyborgMcloud

Postby CyborgMcloud » February 2nd, 2014, 10:17 am

so to all the oculus owners there:

if u use oculus overlay
go to: http://design.ge/riftcam/riftcam_overlay.rar
download, unrar it anywhere u like, run the .exe file and u are automatically connected to remote control and video thread
ESCAPE key closes the program
(link to oculus overlay: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=299)

if you do not use oculus overlay
go to: http://design.ge/riftcam/riftcam_desktop.rar
use "left right" buttons to adjust pictures so that u can see clear 3D - head tracking is enabled all the time

I'll be turning the program on and off, so if u want to check it out right a way - just send me a PM and I'll turn it on whenever u want it to
CyborgMcloud

Postby CyborgMcloud » February 2nd, 2014, 10:19 am

low FPS is mainly caused by poor server to Global internet traffic (only 2mb/s for all the sites hosted on that server)
CyborgMcloud

Postby Darius » February 2nd, 2014, 2:52 pm

Wow. This is really great stuff you are building there. I am looking for such a setup so I am really interested in backing your campaign or buying a single prototype to do some experimenting.
Darius

Return to “Oculus General Discussion”