DK1 & DK2 Compatibility?

Share and discuss any and all Oculus related topics.

DK1 & DK2 Compatibility?

Postby willysunny » March 20th, 2014, 3:30 am

I'm sure that now that DK2 is now released, the question becomes: How different is games that was developed on DK1 when DK2 is used?

My guesses is that games that were developed with DK1, when using DK2, can only perform exactly what the DK1 can do, and that's it. Of course there's also the guess that games that were developed for DK1 cannot run with DK2, which would be a total bummer, but I can understand why (EG: the new head positioning can now break some game mechanics, etc)

So, I think Oculus should at least put a statement out so that other people can make better decision should they jump to DK2 or not.

What are your other concerns regarding DK1 VS DK2?
Taiwan | Order ID: 0811xx | Sept 29th - Ready | Nov 5th - Process in 24 hours | Nov 6th - PROCESSING | Nov 11th - ARRIVED | Nov 14th - SHIPPED (WTF LOL!?)
willysunny

WLM: lin_sunny_willy@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: willy_sunny
AOL: SunnyWilly

Re: DK1 & DK2 Compatibility?

Postby bluenote » March 20th, 2014, 4:38 am

Iirc the GDC talk contained some information on SDK 0.3 mentioning that it supports both DK1 and DK2. There was also a bullet point giving a hint that, for DK1, the positional tracking is replaced by a simple head model. So in theory, as long as a developer moves on to SDK 0.3 everything should be fine.
bluenote

Postby willysunny » March 20th, 2014, 7:53 am

That's what I'm concerned about.

If I'm using SDK 0.2, made a game on DK1, can DK2 use it? (with some limitations)

If I'm using SDK 0.3, made a game for DK2, can DK1 use it? (with some limitations)

or just simply a big NO?
Taiwan | Order ID: 0811xx | Sept 29th - Ready | Nov 5th - Process in 24 hours | Nov 6th - PROCESSING | Nov 11th - ARRIVED | Nov 14th - SHIPPED (WTF LOL!?)
willysunny

WLM: lin_sunny_willy@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: willy_sunny
AOL: SunnyWilly

Postby racoon1211 » March 20th, 2014, 8:32 am

I don't think there'll be a problem.

If a Dk1 designed game is used with the Dk2, it should work like using the DK1 (just with better rsolution) and without positional tracking. Head rotation still works the same way the DK1 did it.

I see more problems with using a DK2 designed game with a DK1, because the game is probably designed to use the positional tracking (you have to lean forwards/backward/around corners to succeed in the game). In this case the game could be unplayable.

Maybe a good reason for developers to update thier games then ^^
racoon1211

Postby raidho36 » March 20th, 2014, 8:35 am

There won't be issues. They're compatible.

DK2 will be backwards compatible because it supplies it's own calibration values and software will work with it anyway, so there's nothing could go wrong for one thing, and SDK 0.2 simply doesn't use positional tracking data and uses hard-coded neck model, so you will be able to use DK2, it's just there won't be 6DOF headtracking, just old style 3DOF DK1 tracking.

DK1 will be partially forwards compatible because it supplies it's own calibraion values, this is kinda smart idea for hardware compatibility. SDK 0.3 would substitute positonal tracking with driver-side neck model, so you will be able to use DK1, you just won't benefit from positional headtracking because the device doesn't support it.
raidho36

Postby MannyLectro » March 20th, 2014, 8:37 am

I heard the lenses of the DK2 are a bit different...
If I get it right it means the distortion shaders are not the same. Using the DK2 on DK1 distortion or the other way around might be weird...
Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514
MannyLectro

Postby Morpheox » March 20th, 2014, 9:07 am

MannyLectro wrote:I heard the lenses of the DK2 are a bit different...
If I get it right it means the distortion shaders are not the same. Using the DK2 on DK1 distortion or the other way around might be weird...

It should be easily fixable by detecting the model that its connected, homewer all games and demos may need to be recompiled and reuploaded.
Morpheox

Postby brantlew » March 20th, 2014, 9:28 am

There are multiple incompatibilities both in hardware protocols and SDK. Devs REALLY need to update and recompile their existing games to 0.3 as soon as it become official. This will probably require a bit of code refactoring to make the game 0.3 compliant. Games ported to 0.3 can be run both on DK1 and DK2 with the caveat that on DK1 you will only get neck-modeling while the same build on DK2 will have full position tracking. Older games compiled with 0.2.5 will not run on DK2. They will probably not crash, but hardware negotiation will fail and the app will not be displayed properly or have any head tracking.

As Michael Antonov stated in his GDC talk, an early preview of 0.3 is scheduled in a couple of weeks with beta versions coming soon after. The hope is that starting in 0.3 we will be moving towards a more forward/backward compatible software model so that there is some degree of interoperability between various sdk and hardware versions. Certainly for CV1 we intend to support all previous incarnations of the headset.
brantlew
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby jspenguin » March 20th, 2014, 11:17 am

There is no possible way that games compiled with the current release of the SDK will be compatible with the DK2 - the current SDK hard-codes the resolution of the display. On Linux, the resolution is the only criteria it uses to determine if a display is an Oculus or not.

If the Oculus SDK had a simpler C interface, and was compiled as a shared library instead of static, then you could just drop in a new libOVR.so and get some compatibility with existing demos, but as it stands, that's not possible. On Unity, you might be able to get away with replacing libOculusPlugin.so, but I'm not familiar enough with how it works to be sure.
jspenguin

Postby drash » March 20th, 2014, 11:55 am

Great to hear that the new SDK will be available well before the hardware arrives. I can't wait. :)

I think it's important that the users with a DK2 know what to expect before they download (and then blame it on the app or the DK2). For Oculus Share, perhaps it could be updated to have a specific place below the version # to show hardware compatibility? Everything that's in Share now would be defaulted to "DK1-only", and then as developers update their apps they can mark which hardware is supported or something.
drash

Postby brantlew » March 20th, 2014, 12:12 pm

Good suggestion Big Sun.

(ps. Considering Titans plus your avatar, I really think you should be called that. :) )
brantlew
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby archaicbereft » May 13th, 2014, 10:29 am

oh snap... so the 70gb of vr games/demos etc I have collected are useless when DK2 arrives?
cybereality wrote:Almost any idea can seem obvious once the inventor tells you how it works.
archaicbereft

Postby geekryan » May 15th, 2014, 3:52 pm

archaicbereft wrote:oh snap... so the 70gb of vr games/demos etc I have collected are useless when DK2 arrives?

Disappointing, isn't it? With no easy way (that I can tell) to distinguish between games/demos that will work with the DK2 and those that won't, we're going to have to assume that they probably won't unless the developer indicates otherwise.

I'm kind of surprised I haven't seen this discussed more. And I'm very sad that I won't get a chance to try out Delta Draconis, Technolust, and many other demos when my DK2 arrives...
geekryan

Postby Dreamwriter » May 15th, 2014, 4:40 pm

willysunny wrote:So, I think Oculus should at least put a statement out so that other people can make better decision should they jump to DK2 or not.

They already did, they put out a statement that only developers should buy DK2.
Dreamwriter

Postby archaicbereft » May 15th, 2014, 7:34 pm

geekryan wrote:
archaicbereft wrote:oh snap... so the 70gb of vr games/demos etc I have collected are useless when DK2 arrives?

Disappointing, isn't it? With no easy way (that I can tell) to distinguish between games/demos that will work with the DK2 and those that won't, we're going to have to assume that they probably won't unless the developer indicates otherwise.

I'm kind of surprised I haven't seen this discussed more. And I'm very sad that I won't get a chance to try out Delta Draconis, Technolust, and many other demos when my DK2 arrives...

while it I agree that it does suck... I mean I wish it would work out of the box just sans positional tracking, when DK2 arrives I am pretty confident we will see an influx of content that makes the DK1 stuff pale in comparison.

I have my own things to work on during that time, but it is a bummer and hopefully developers update and re-release their content for the new sdk
cybereality wrote:Almost any idea can seem obvious once the inventor tells you how it works.
archaicbereft

Postby Hadwell » May 15th, 2014, 8:16 pm

I think it will work sorta, but the barrel distortion would be off and such... people will probly invent work-arounds...
Hadwell

Postby KelvinNZ » June 26th, 2014, 1:28 pm

I agree with the fact that people should not get DK2 with the expectation that it's a consumer product.

To add to some of the end-user comments about content that has already been downloaded and compatibility with DK2, my thoughts sit on the premise that anyone who can afford the DK2 rift should consider getting it as they can be a pivotal part of the feedback cycle as those people (including me) are going to be the consumer at the end of the day.

There are really two parts to this as Developers will offer another perspective on the DK2, which is, those who just use it for the experience will offer their subjective experience in using it, i.e comfort (for longer periods of use), visual experiences, etc... and developers will add to this feedback by reporting bugs or proposed enhancements to how the SDK can be tweaked for new experiences.

So I'm in two minds but both perspectives are acceptable to me.

Other than that it's all just Riftastic!

Bring on the new Rift Revolution.
KelvinNZ

Postby kojack » June 26th, 2014, 4:06 pm

Hadwell wrote:I think it will work sorta, but the barrel distortion would be off and such... people will probly invent work-arounds...

One thing that Cybereality mentioned recently is that because the screen was intended for mobiles, it's orientation is portrait instead of landscape. Not physically, it's still landscape in the rift, but the data connection to it thinks it's portrait. So the pc would see it as 1080x1920. You need to render sideways eyes one over the other instead of side by side. A dk1 demo won't just have different barrel distortion, it's output will have the eyes in the wrong location and orientation.

(The new Pyra handheld (in development, sequel to the Pandora), had to deal with a similar issue, the panel they chose is addressed as portrait mode because it's for mobiles. They are using a chip that rotates the data for them, so they can treat it as landscape)
kojack

Return to “Oculus General Discussion”