Surround Sound Helmet

Share your completed Oculus-ready projects with the community.

Surround Sound Helmet

Postby cgallizzi » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:48 am

Hand made working sample, has wireless audio functionality with detachable boom mic for chat with lithium ion battery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cgallizzi
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:33 am

Re: Surround Sound Helmet

Postby Canbacon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:02 am

Looking good so far (personal opinion) :)

Are you thinking of making a hard helmet version that the Oculus attaches to to flip down? That would be really nice for dev/qa purposes.
Canbacon
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:05 am
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Re: Surround Sound Helmet

Postby cgallizzi » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:57 am

That is something we are thinking about, but will probably be designed for the consumer version
cgallizzi
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:33 am

Re: Surround Sound Helmet

Postby cybereality » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:17 pm

Awesome!
Oculus VR - Community Manager
User avatar
cybereality
Team Oculus Team Oculus
 
Posts: 8273
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:54 pm
Location: Cyberspace

Re: Surround Sound Helmet

Postby HappyHimitsu » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:13 pm

While I think the concept is definitely cool, I don't think I would jive so well with such a thing.
Anything on my head for a long period of time, like a toque or a cap, always results in my head itching and getting sweaty; That combined with the warmth of the OR itself would probably be just enough to push me over the edge of sanity. :shock:
However, I suppose a helmet in the right game (Battlefield?) might increase the immersion.
Nice to see the innovations though!
Checkout out the electrifying Tesla's laboratory scene in our newest build of our educational history game, Project Time Travel!
'Be Wary of Geeks bearing Gifts....' -trojan/win32.war
User avatar
HappyHimitsu
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:19 pm

Re: Surround Sound Helmet

Postby mihalski » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:32 am

Looks interesting, but I already have Beyerdynamic DT880's which I love, though no mic.

The missing link for total audio immersion is hardware audio acceleration. Too bad Creative bought out Aureal and abandoned their tech. We need advanced binaural audio!
User avatar
mihalski
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:14 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Surround Sound Helmet

Postby cgallizzi » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:17 pm

Thank you all for the feedback... keep it coming please :)
cgallizzi
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:33 am

Re: Surround Sound Helmet

Postby Verdant » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:22 pm

This may sound weird, but how about a pocket at the back for counterweights?

Even if the Oculus is light, it still throws off your heads "center of balance", adding weights to the back would be a viable way to counter that. I jury-rigged something to the Velcro strap of my oculus for now, but it would be nice to have a more practical solution
Verdant
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:18 pm

Re: Surround Sound Helmet

Postby DaveA » Sat May 11, 2013 12:01 pm

mihalski wrote:Looks interesting, but I already have Beyerdynamic DT880's which I love, though no mic.

The missing link for total audio immersion is hardware audio acceleration. Too bad Creative bought out Aureal and abandoned their tech. We need advanced binaural audio!


AMEN to that!
DaveA
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:59 am

Re: Surround Sound Helmet

Postby Tgaud » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:18 am

You should check for Psyko Audiotechlabs headphones.

It's true 5.1. The only true 5.1 headphone that exists actually...
But not available in europe :(
Tgaud
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:59 pm

Re: Surround Sound Helmet

Postby TheGiantRobot » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:59 am

I'm deaf in one ear, so I think surround sound noise cancelling headphones are just never going to work for me. Something like a helmet could potentially work better. Especially if that helmet takes advantage of the natural acoustic vibrations that may or may not occur depending on the design.

Cool product.
User avatar
TheGiantRobot
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:38 am

Re: Surround Sound Helmet

Postby jeffgoldwarf » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:29 pm

I don't really understand what the point of this is. How is it different than just wearing headphones, other than that it makes you look like an even bigger dork?
jeffgoldwarf
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:34 pm

Re: Surround Sound Helmet

Postby rennaheim » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:06 pm

This is very cool, I have been thinking of this myself. Did you have any issues with power supply over heating in the helmet? I considered a motorcycle helmet but I imagine it would have problems with air flow. This is a worthwhile project and if you ever want any feedback just let me know. Rennaheim
rennaheim
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Surround Sound Helmet

Postby candiedbug » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:02 pm

How many speakers? How are they positioned? This is very interesting, I have tried a lot of "true surround" headphones but none has really come close to emulating a real multi-speaker setup.

Also, I second the Aureal comment, so sad that HRTF/binarual usage has pretty much disappeared.
User avatar
candiedbug
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Re: Surround Sound Helmet

Postby Tgaud » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:47 pm

candiedbug wrote:How many speakers? How are they positioned? This is very interesting, I have tried a lot of "true surround" headphones but none has really come close to emulating a real multi-speaker setup.

Also, I second the Aureal comment, so sad that HRTF/binarual usage has pretty much disappeared.


There is only one "true surround" Its the psycho audio.
Did u tested it already ?

Nothing come close to the concept of the psyko from what i see.
Tgaud
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:59 pm

Re: Surround Sound Helmet

Postby candiedbug » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:04 pm

Tgaud wrote:
candiedbug wrote:How many speakers? How are they positioned? This is very interesting, I have tried a lot of "true surround" headphones but none has really come close to emulating a real multi-speaker setup.

Also, I second the Aureal comment, so sad that HRTF/binarual usage has pretty much disappeared.


There is only one "true surround" Its the psycho audio.
Did u tested it already ?

Nothing come close to the concept of the psyko from what i see.


When I said "true surround" I meant headsets like the Razer Tiamat that have multiple drivers in each earcup. While there are SOME positional cues, it is nowhere near what a real 7.1 speaker setup would deliver.
User avatar
candiedbug
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Re: Surround Sound Helmet

Postby Tgaud » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:10 pm

Multiple Speaker is NOT true surround. they are necessary, but not enough.

In a real surround, the front left speaker's sound reaches your Right ears too.
In the Razer helmet, the front left speaker's sound doesn't reach your right ear.

The only helmet doing that, is the psyko. And it does get the same result as a 5.1. (5.2 actually)

here's an explanation :
http://www.psykoaudio.com/About/Technology#axzz2bPkZvqhJ
Every characteristics of the true surround withOUT emulation.

It's even better when u use the rift, cuz the sound is always following your head. Not true with standart speakers.
Tgaud
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:59 pm

Re: Surround Sound Helmet

Postby candiedbug » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:08 pm

Tgaud wrote:Multiple Speaker is NOT true surround. they are necessary, but not enough.

In a real surround, the front left speaker's sound reaches your Right ears too.
In the Razer helmet, the front left speaker's sound doesn't reach your right ear.

The only helmet doing that, is the psyko. And it does get the same result as a 5.1. (5.2 actually)

here's an explanation :
http://www.psykoaudio.com/About/Technology#axzz2bPkZvqhJ
Every characteristics of the true surround withOUT emulation.

It's even better when u use the rift, cuz the sound is always following your head. Not true with standart speakers.



This looks like a really interesting headset, have you tried it personally? How is it? How's the hardware quality?
User avatar
candiedbug
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Re: Surround Sound Helmet

Postby Tgaud » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:59 pm

I have tried a previous version (less good quality than now apparently).
Nothing to say about the sound.. it seemed perfect to me. (but i'm no expert)

but the weight was a little heavy on the head compare to others normal headphones.
And, it was mostly made of plastic. (maybe for sound reason)
at the time.


But i was plently satisfied of the performance and for comfort there were little openable cup on the side of the ears,
so we could plently make it a "closed" headphone (without earing whats going on in the room)
or an open one, if you have a conversation or if your simply have too much warm on your ears.

I would be really interested to test the last version anyway, especially with the rift.
Tgaud
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:59 pm

Re: Surround Sound Helmet

Postby candiedbug » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:52 am

Tgaud wrote:I have tried a previous version (less good quality than now apparently).
Nothing to say about the sound.. it seemed perfect to me. (but i'm no expert)

but the weight was a little heavy on the head compare to others normal headphones.
And, it was mostly made of plastic. (maybe for sound reason)
at the time.


But i was plently satisfied of the performance and for comfort there were little openable cup on the side of the ears,
so we could plently make it a "closed" headphone (without earing whats going on in the room)
or an open one, if you have a conversation or if your simply have too much warm on your ears.

I would be really interested to test the last version anyway, especially with the rift.


I might order them when my Rift arrives. I'll post a review here once that happens.
User avatar
candiedbug
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:19 pm


Return to “Oculus Showcase”


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cmdr2, cozzie4d and 14 guests