[Experience / Simulator] Flying in dreams

Share your completed Oculus-ready projects with the community.

[Experience / Simulator] Flying in dreams

Postby bwiklund » November 6th, 2013, 10:53 pm

Image Image Image Image

26MB download (PC)
http://flyingindreams.com <- the site

A flight simulator where you steer by turning your head. Take it easy at first, and get a feel for it.

The controls are just like a plane, with the three axes of rotation corresponding to pitch, yaw, and roll. Try to be mindful of where "forward" is, because if you look there, you will stop spinning :)

There are shortcuts to reset the game, show the center, and reset orientation. They're listed on the splash screen.

I've only shown a couple people, so I'd love to hear what works, and what doesn't.
Last edited by bwiklund on October 11th, 2014, 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bwiklund

Re: [Experience / Simulator] Flying in dreams

Postby ganjaroach » November 7th, 2013, 7:27 am

Very cool demo, the flying is very fluid and easy to control. I hope you keep working on this and add some obstacles or something to that effect to test how good one can fly. :) Thanks for sharing!
ganjaroach

Postby bwiklund » November 7th, 2013, 9:04 am

Thanks for making the video! I commented on youtube as well.

I noticed a couple glitches I plan to fix in the next couple days. One man teams are not known for their stellar QA...
bwiklund

Postby unclejimbo88 » November 7th, 2013, 8:52 pm

Wow. Just wow. This is by far the best flying experience for Rift yet. Having all the controls mapped to the head make it both less nauseating and more accessible. I was soaring through the little crevices in no time. The intro screen is well done, and the opening with the plane is a very nice touch. Just having the controls down so well would have made this better than anything else, but what I really didn't expect was the little niceties. The particles slowing to a crawl as you stall at the top. The sound stopping, then quickly becoming a roar as you quickly descend. The little shadow on the ground.

Huge kudos for thinking of the little things. Shows you did more than slap a viewpoint in a static landscape and call it a day. With this one you put yourself in my devs to watch. Excited to see what you do next, whether it be an update to this or something else entirely. My suggestion: the name Flying in Dreams suggests something more surreal :mrgreen:!
unclejimbo88

Postby bwiklund » November 7th, 2013, 9:56 pm

Thanks!

The sound is something I spent a whole evening on, since I used to be a sound engineer. There's a couple layers of wind that change pitch and volume with speed, which you noticed. There's also another factor, which is that if you turn your head the side, the ear facing the wind (forward) gets a louder rumbling wind. I'm pretty proud of that, even if no one is consciously aware of it.
bwiklund

Postby unclejimbo88 » November 8th, 2013, 1:18 pm

bwiklund wrote:Thanks!

There's also another factor, which is that if you turn your head the side, the ear facing the wind (forward) gets a louder rumbling wind. I'm pretty proud of that, even if no one is consciously aware of it.

That's pretty great. It's going to be the things like this that really start to matter for the future of VR.
unclejimbo88

Postby grodenglaive » November 8th, 2013, 4:15 pm

loved it! 8-)
Doing barrel rolls and loops, although dizzying, made me laugh hysterically. A bit of level flight between stunts helped quiet the stomach.
If would be cool to have a button to press for "freelook", so you can occasionally look around without turning. Maybe add an eagle to chase in later updates.
Cheers :mrgreen:
GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2
grodenglaive

Postby Okavango666 » November 14th, 2013, 4:27 am

I agree ! This is a really god flying experience ! I have hade the Oculus for couple of months now, and this one did impress me alot !
Okavango666

Postby cowsheepo » November 18th, 2013, 11:09 am

I would love to see a way of using your own unity terrains, or something like that. Whilst i've done a little in unity, i'm not sure if what I want is possible! :)
cowsheepo

Postby luisgmnz » November 19th, 2013, 2:12 pm

Please make the demo for MAC OS... I really want to try it and I don't have a PC I can use.
Thank you...
luisgmnz

Postby francob » December 4th, 2013, 1:14 pm

I just wanted to stop by and say a massive thanks for making this game, I absolutely love it :D

I find it so much fun soaring around the landscape and hugging the terrain at speed, it's so much fun!

Do you have any plans to work on it any further? It would be great to have a course of tight gates to fly through. You could maybe do timed runs and you could also award extra points or avoid time penalties by having different coloured gates which you have to fly through in a certain orientation (normal, upside down, banked left, banked right).

Being able to fly through caves/tunnels in the mountains would be amazing too! 8-)
francob

Postby bud01 » December 5th, 2013, 3:41 pm

you could be able to play tag your it multiplayer... , would be one of the greatest multiplayer games ever...
bud01

Postby donner1122 » December 5th, 2013, 6:41 pm

Please post a mac version :) looks like a great game.
donner1122

Postby kwx » December 5th, 2013, 9:34 pm

bwiklund wrote:I've only shown a couple people, so I'd love to hear what works, and what doesn't.

Excellent work! This is my favorite Rift experience so far, and surprisingly comfortable even when racing through canyons upside down. The controls work very well.

Some minor issues - having the game reset when hitting the ground or (especially) when exiting the edge of the world is a bit jarring. Consider having the player bounce off the invisible walls instead? And there's a tendency to drift off-center. That's easy to fix with the Ctrl key though.

If you're interested in taking this further, adding hoops or arches to fly through would be nice :-)
kwx

Postby RiftRunner » December 6th, 2013, 4:07 am

Great job with the look flight mechanic!
When i played Epic dragon, i immediately thought this is the way to go with flying games.
You have really improved upon that with the stalling and acceleration.
RiftRunner

Postby Whoopty » December 13th, 2013, 8:16 am

Easily one of my favourite Rift demos. It's the one I introduce people to once they've gotten past the initial disorientation as the sensation of speed when you skim the floor is awesome.
Whoopty

Postby LaszloEDM » December 21st, 2013, 12:51 pm

Have you worked on this some more? Really love this demo
LaszloEDM

Postby bwiklund » December 21st, 2013, 7:03 pm

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback!

I'm working on the next release in my spare time. I'll be sure to post it here when I make the release.

Where are the other good places to get exposure for demos? Brendan Iribe recently retweeted it, so I feel like I need to stop being lazy and do a bit more self-promotion.
bwiklund

Postby modelmode » December 23rd, 2013, 8:53 pm

This is a must have! For those who have your Rifts dialed in and your VR sea legs, DO NOT PASS THIS UP. Great job!
modelmode

Postby ErichMoraga » December 25th, 2013, 3:53 pm

I like the variable air speed sound, and think it would be awesome to have an option to see outstretched arms in front :idea:
ErichMoraga

Return to “Oculus Showcase”