Solar System Explorer - UPDATE #9 -July 23 - v0.61

A forum for sharing your incomplete projects with the community.

Solar System Explorer - UPDATE #9 -July 23 - v0.61

Postby siphi » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:11 am

Solar System Explorer

A free form flight around the solar system.

------------------------------------------------
Update #9 - July 23 - V0.61: General tidy up - Navigation improvements

64 bit … https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Ah93sDDOaFWmV3QzctQXFSM0E

32 bit … to follow

This is likely to be the last build for DK1(?)
------------------------------------------------

Inspired by Titans of Space, and created to try to further convey the sense of scale of the planets and the distance between them.

Created in Unity, with coding extensions to deal with large scales (However, planetary scale and distances (although large) are still scaled way down from reality)

Control: Best suited to X-box control pad.

xbox 360 controller.png

Plus usual Oculus Rift / Unity controls
=======================================

Space - to toggle the OVR Overlay menu (fps, ipd etc).

Escape - to exit the game.

B - reset forward orientation

Comments and questions welcome.

-Simon Phillips (SiPhi)

Credits
=======

Planets / skysphere built using Space Graphics Toolkit (from the Unity Store) & various planetary textures from around the web.

Spacecraft created by Herminio Nieves @2013

Sounds from freesound.org - see links for licensing...
http://www.freesound.org/people/Wolfsinger/sounds/25761/
http://www.freesound.org/people/troutstrangler/sounds/25878/
http://www.freesound.org/people/Timbre/sounds/75521/
http://www.freesound.org/people/warwickallison/sounds/115759/
http://www.freesound.org/people/PlymouthJCliffords/sounds/164842/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by siphi on Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 12 times in total.
siphi

Re: Solar System Explorer

Postby drash » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:17 pm

I feel a little weird that I'm the first one responding to this given your inspiration, but I really enjoyed this!

That's got to be one of the coolest warp speed effects I've ever seen. It's quite nice to be able to fly around on your own, and being able to do so around our own neighborhood is awesome. You definitely get the point across about distance between planets going as far as you do but it still takes time to get where you want to go. Very nice. The way you have your mini-map blips expand out to be labels is a genius move. Inspiring stuff!

The planets definitely do feel big -- any idea what scale they're shown at?

I really hope you continue with this. Thanks for sharing. :)
drash

Postby ash55 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:28 pm

This is pretty god damn amazing. Endgame-wise, I could see a ton of potential in this. For example, if it's in sync with the actual current locations of the planets and moons, you could theoretically watch an eclipse live from one of the moons of Jupiter as if you were there. Knowing that what you're seeing in VR is almost identical to an actual vista several AU away live would be utterly incredible.

This may also sound weird but I'm glad it's low resolution and not very realistic etc. I found the whole thing sort of terrifying. There's no way I would be able to fly through the sun, for example, even though I know it's not real. Every inch of me just recoiled in horror when I almost collided with Jupiter coming out of warp speed. I did fly through it later on but I had to have the Rift half off my face so I could see that I'm at my computer desk rather than flying straight into a gas giant. I never felt that sensation of dread in Drash's Titans though which is weird... I suppose because the planets weren't very big so it's more like a science museum than a virtual solar system? I just wanted to share that because I don't know if I'm just crazy or something, anyone else feel this way or am I just a baby? Either way it's a sign that I found your demo really immersive. If there's ever a high resolution, highly realistic and polished version I don't know if I could handle it :P
ash55

Postby siphi » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:40 pm

Thanks for the replies. Glad you enjoyed the experience.

drash: Hi ! ... Titans of Space was one of my very first OR experiences and continues to set the bar for me in terms of polish and presentation, and is also my go to demo for anyone I wish to show them what an Oculus Rift actually is ... so thanks for getting me hooked in the first place. 8-)

The scale of the planets used in Titans of Space is something that puzzled me. I believe you scaled down so that 1m ~ 1000km (ie. Earth ~ 12m diameter), but even with such a large scaling down, Titans of Space still managed to give an impressive feeling of scale (particularly when the largest objects were introduced into the scene). So I was curious as to what the whole thing would feel like at a larger scale - hence this demo.

I am 1000 generally times larger than this, but 1000 times smaller than reality. ie. Earth ~12km diameter and the other planets scaled accordingly, with the exception of Jupiter and the Sun (which are "only" ~50km across due to far clip plane limitations).

Any significantly smaller scale than this gave problems due to the relative scale between the player's ship and the planets just looked odd (particularly close up, as I rely on the cockpit for giving the sense of scale). Going larger (ie x10), without scaling the planetary distances, made the sky look a bit too crowded. Also, accurately representing the distances between the planets made everything a bit too vast, so these have been manually fudged to feel "ok". So, the scale of the planets themselves is at approx 1:1000, but the distance between the planets is somewhere between 1:5000 and 1:100000 (and definitely not accurately represented).

I think (before getting the scaling right, and implementing full warp mode), I once spent 20 minutes getting to Jupiter, and without the feeling of speed (interplanetary space is quite empty, with no visual clues), it became quite dull. Perhaps with an autopilot or something to do onboard while travelling these distances may help, but sat in a tiny ship with nothing else to do, it is clear that interplanetary travel is quite dull. This is where the warp mode became a necessity.

The large distances were also problem within Unity itself due to floating point precision, so I use my own coordinate system and continually adjust very distant objects so that they stay pinned to the limit of the visible sphere, but scaled to appear the right size. Once an object gets within the visible sphere, Unity takes over and the object takes on it's normal scale and position.

Where it goes next I'm not sure. I would like to add moons around the planets and generally more places to visit. Perhaps with more "stops on the way" the need for warp mode becomes less, but the need for a good navigation system (and autopilot?) becomes more.

ash55: It wasn't the intention to terrify you (there are already plenty of rift experiences for that !). This was supposed to be casual and gentle. Perhaps you are more responsive to the sense of scale and immersion than I am (or perhaps a month of development has dulled me to it). However, the scale was the purpose of the demo, so I guess that's a tick in the box.

Yeah, I think I would like to work on the visuals a bit more so that we could journey to some pre-set and classic views (earth-rise over the moon, blue marble, planetary alignment from 2001: Space Odyssey, pale blue dot etc...), with perhaps a few easter eggs dotted around the place for good measure. The notion of live (ie correct) positioning sounds interesting, and would mean I have to REALLY get on top of the coordinate system ... Perhaps I'll wait for the higher resolution OR for that.

Thanks again for the comments, and glad that you enjoyed it.
siphi

Postby jasonatokc » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:43 pm

Really this demo is awesome the only other space sim that comes close to Titans and in its own way has some better
quality's. I really like your ship the scale the nav system the warp drive effect the scale of the planets. I got lost in this
for about 30mins which I dont do very often but I do try EVERY demo and game that is out there for the rift. This is very
comfortable I think I could spend a lot longer in without a problem. I like your scale on the planets. I hope you keep evolving this demo. Others should look at your ship and nav system as a how to for a space sim what you got just works well.
Thank you so much for making this and sharing this demo it has bumped its way in to my top 10 folder :)
jasonatokc

Postby VRoom » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:05 pm

Would it be possible to upload 32bit version? Sounds great and would love to try it :)
VRoom

Postby Ringo7 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:15 pm

Cannot get it working here. Just hangs on the "Press Spacebar" screen, then locks up my machine. Have to CTRL-ALT-DEL just to get out of it. No response from the space bar or the xbox controller. The only Oculus demo that won't run on my machine. Will try the next update when it's available.

Win7/64bit/i7/8GB RAM
NVidia GTX 560Ti
Ringo7

Postby siphi » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:34 am

@Vroom: I tried to compile a 32 bit version, but Unity kept throwing up an error. I'll have another go this evening.

@Ringo7: The loading screen takes a while for the spacebar to become responsive (~3-5 seconds on my machine (similar specs to yours)). During this time, I do not check for the escape key (to exit) so this is why you have to Ctrl-Alt-Del to close it down. I'll tidy this up in the next version which I hope to release in the next couple of days.

Thanks for the feedback.
siphi

Postby grodenglaive » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:22 am

very cool. The sense of scale is awesome. :shock: I skimmed the surface of Jupiter and it was like slowly entering a thick fog - it felt very real.
GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2
grodenglaive

Postby Ringo7 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:56 am

siphi wrote:@Vroom: I tried to compile a 32 bit version, but Unity kept throwing up an error. I'll have another go this evening.

@Ringo7: The loading screen takes a while for the spacebar to become responsive (~3-5 seconds on my machine (similar specs to yours)). During this time, I do not check for the escape key (to exit) so this is why you have to Ctrl-Alt-Del to close it down. I'll tidy this up in the next version which I hope to release in the next couple of days.

Thanks for the feedback.

Not the case here. Waited almost a full minute, then hit the space bar, escape, etc.. Still just hangs the PC. I can hear the subtle music playing but there is no response to any keys or the controller at all.
Ringo7

Postby VRoom » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:42 am

siphi wrote:@Vroom: I tried to compile a 32 bit version, but Unity kept throwing up an error. I'll have another go this evening.

Thanks! I hope you'll manage to solve the problem :)
VRoom

Postby siphi » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:53 am

@Ringo : Is there any debug info available in the player log file that is created when you run it ? I can't remember off the top of my head where this file sits, but is should be either in the main game directory or one of the subdirectories. If you find it, can you please post it here. It might just simply be failing to load a texture or something trivial like that. Thanks.
siphi

Postby Ringo7 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:15 am

siphi wrote:@Ringo : Is there any debug info available in the player log file that is created when you run it ? I can't remember off the top of my head where this file sits, but is should be either in the main game directory or one of the subdirectories. If you find it, can you please post it here. It might just simply be failing to load a texture or something trivial like that. Thanks.

Here you go...

From the output_log.txt file...

Initialize engine version: 4.3.2f1 (0517a5ae8669)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0]
Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (ID=0x1200)
Vendor: NVIDIA
VRAM: 978 MB
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: C:\Oculus\Samples\solar_system_explorer v01a\solar_system_explorer v01a\solar_system_explorer v01_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Oculus\Samples\solar_system_explorer v01a\solar_system_explorer v01a\solar_system_explorer v01_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Oculus\Samples\solar_system_explorer v01a\solar_system_explorer v01a\solar_system_explorer v01_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Oculus\Samples\solar_system_explorer v01a\solar_system_explorer v01a\solar_system_explorer v01_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Oculus\Samples\solar_system_explorer v01a\solar_system_explorer v01a\solar_system_explorer v01_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Oculus\Samples\solar_system_explorer v01a\solar_system_explorer v01a\solar_system_explorer v01_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript.dll into Unity Child Domain
- Completed reload, in 0.036 seconds
desktop: 1680x1050 59Hz; virtual: 1680x1050 at 0,0
<RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.
Platform assembly: C:\Oculus\Samples\solar_system_explorer v01a\solar_system_explorer v01a\solar_system_explorer v01_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Oculus\Samples\solar_system_explorer v01a\solar_system_explorer v01a\solar_system_explorer v01_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Oculus\Samples\solar_system_explorer v01a\solar_system_explorer v01a\solar_system_explorer v01_Data\Managed\UnityScript.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Oculus\Samples\solar_system_explorer v01a\solar_system_explorer v01a\solar_system_explorer v01_Data\Managed\Boo.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)
Ringo7

Postby Ringo7 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:17 am

siphi wrote:@Ringo : Is there any debug info available in the player log file that is created when you run it ? I can't remember off the top of my head where this file sits, but is should be either in the main game directory or one of the subdirectories. If you find it, can you please post it here. It might just simply be failing to load a texture or something trivial like that. Thanks.

Also discovered that it only hangs the computer when I start in full screen mode. If I check "Windowed", it starts fine but then of course in window mode the display is messed up in the Rift.
Ringo7

Postby Ringo7 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:25 am

What I do now to get it running is start in Windowed mode, the Alt-Return to go full screen. Then to exit, Alt-Return again the escape to quit. After it quits, I get an error that says the Windows theme display was changed to compatibility mode (i.e. it switches off the Aero desktop theme like old programs do). Hope that helps.
Ringo7

Postby siphi » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:20 am

Ringo7 wrote:What I do now to get it running is start in Windowed mode, the Alt-Return to go full screen. Then to exit, Alt-Return again the escape to quit. After it quits, I get an error that says the Windows theme display was changed to compatibility mode (i.e. it switches off the Aero desktop theme like old programs do). Hope that helps.

The best I can determine at the moment is that it might be a DirectX11 or graphics driver issue. I will re-compile later without directX11 (and other graphics options), but in the meantime, could you update your Nvidia graphics driver and see if this helps.

This thread seems similar with regards to issues you may be experiencing ... http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/388678/directx11-build-crashes-no-graphics.html
siphi

Postby Solstice » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:47 am

Cool Demo :-)

There is something about flying next to another spaceship in VR that makes my jaw drop everytime.
I can't really tell you why, but flying next to this huge spaceship and being able to just look over to the other one is aweseome. So thanks for the fleet in this demo i guess ;-)

Makes me want to have a "group" mode for Eve Valkyrie where you could fly in groups of three. You and your two wingmen...giving each other a "lets-to-this-nod" with your avatars before you are being launched into space...ok i'll stop VR-daydreaming ^^

Also the effect for the warp and the scale is pretty aweseome :-)
Solstice

Postby Ringo7 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:58 am

siphi wrote:
Ringo7 wrote:What I do now to get it running is start in Windowed mode, the Alt-Return to go full screen. Then to exit, Alt-Return again the escape to quit. After it quits, I get an error that says the Windows theme display was changed to compatibility mode (i.e. it switches off the Aero desktop theme like old programs do). Hope that helps.

The best I can determine at the moment is that it might be a DirectX11 or graphics driver issue. I will re-compile later without directX11 (and other graphics options), but in the meantime, could you update your Nvidia graphics driver and see if this helps.

This thread seems similar with regards to issues you may be experiencing ... http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/388678/directx11-build-crashes-no-graphics.html

Already updated to the latest NVidia drivers a couple of weeks ago. Again, this is the only demo that hangs my machine. I have about 50+ demos, all working fine so I don't believe it's a video driver issue. Turned off Anti-Virus app and all other background tasks (it's a very clean Win7 system). No big deal as I understand it's a first run demo anyway. Thanks for trying to sort it out.
Ringo7

Postby siphi » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:03 pm

Ringo7 wrote:Already updated to the latest NVidia drivers a couple of weeks ago. Again, this is the only demo that hangs my machine. I have about 50+ demos, all working fine so I don't believe it's a video driver issue. Turned off Anti-Virus app and all other background tasks (it's a very clean Win7 system). No big deal as I understand it's a first run demo anyway. Thanks for trying to sort it out.

Please try the following version...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5Ah93sDDOaFMlRtczBrQkh0Q0k

Some graphics options (mainly anti-aliasing).
    Avoids the loading screen (go straight into game)
    Changed to directx9

Please report if the problems remain.

Thanks
siphi

Postby Ringo7 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:39 pm

siphi wrote:
Ringo7 wrote:Already updated to the latest NVidia drivers a couple of weeks ago. Again, this is the only demo that hangs my machine. I have about 50+ demos, all working fine so I don't believe it's a video driver issue. Turned off Anti-Virus app and all other background tasks (it's a very clean Win7 system). No big deal as I understand it's a first run demo anyway. Thanks for trying to sort it out.

Please try the following version...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5Ah93sDDOaFMlRtczBrQkh0Q0k

Some graphics options (mainly anti-aliasing).
    Avoids the loading screen (go straight into game)
    Changed to directx9

Please report if the problems remain.

Thanks

Thanks siphi. Works fine now launching into full screen mode. I always select "Fantastic" and the highest resolution mode. No more issues on exiting either. Very cool! Thanks.
Ringo7

Return to “Works in Progress”