Desperate Gods VR

A forum for sharing your incomplete projects with the community.

Desperate Gods VR

Postby raidho36 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:06 pm

A board game by wolfire adapted for Oculus Rift VR. It's compatible with non-VR version and you can play with non-VR players.

You would still have to use 2d menus without the Rift to start the game. I'm working on this.
The controls list sheet is located to the left. Right mouse button (or E key) zoom in and out. F and D keys rotate pieces, S key taps the piece. Space bar flips the cards. This control scheme is very different from default one, it's optimized for blind use, and keeps your left hand at home position.

Chat (and console) is located way above. Unlike regular version, VR version highlights players' messages with their respective colors. It's recommended that you use voice chat anyway.

To pick a card from the deck, grab and strafe it. If you hold onto the deck for half a second, the whole deck will be picked up. Jerk the dice around a little to scramble them. One gold coin equals five silver coins.

Download links:
Windows: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2SiUN3fIbxYWnpjdFB6OF9JckU/edit?usp=sharing
Linux: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2SiUN3fIbxYMWNwYmVPbnZ4dmc/edit?usp=sharing
Mac: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2SiUN3fIbxYZWx2b0M0TWFHQlU/edit?usp=sharing
raidho36

Re: Desperate Gods VR

Postby FictionX » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:11 pm

Heheh.. "..they might not care about the rules as much" :-)

So many good things about this! I'm amazed by how much thought you've put into it, and all the elements you've taken into consideration to bring the feeling of playing an real boardgame to VR.

I'm not really that much into boardgames myself - but this I have to try.

Thanks a bunch for yet a whole new experience in the Rift! (and a special thanks for the Linux version - I see it wasn't available in the normal version).
FictionX

Postby drash » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:18 pm

I've never played this game before (and not typically a board game guy outside of Monopoly and the like), but I'd be really interested in getting familiar with it once the UI issues are ironed out. It looks very enticing and neat that everything on the table is interactive.

The two main pieces of feedback I'll offer right now are:

1) Zooming is ultra-harsh on my eyes. Maybe it's a subjective thing but I think that it zooms in too fast, and ends up a little bit too close to the table to read comfortably. Perhaps down the road, the zoom amount could be a setting that the player can adjust. However, this feature as a concept is absolutely awesome and great for really getting in there in lieu of positional tracking.

2) The chat text that I'm entering shows up really high above the board (as you mentioned). I guess I haven't seen how this works in practice, but if I am looking down at the board, will I know if someone is text-chatting above? Or do I have to periodically look up there to find out?

Nice work raidho, looking forward to seeing how this one grows. The amount of VR board games and VR RPG stuff is severely lacking!
drash

Postby raidho36 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:32 pm

@FrictionX

Thanks I hope you like it! Board games are really fun to play.

@drash

About the zoom, I actually had to grind a lot into the code of both the game and OVRcontroller to get it to work, I even hacked in "dynamic" zoom so that it zooms in a bit closer if you look further down the table, so that items that are close and far remain the same size. It was an issue because if you set good FOV to zoom into nearby parts of the table, far parts would be too small, and if you set zoom to far parts then near parts would be too large, and there's no sweet spot in between, it just makes both near and far parts look bad. The zoom area is also selected so that you can easily read all captions. I also had to implement "IPD relax" for zooming in because if you zoom in it's effectively as if you were pressing your face against the table. Current value is chosen between maintaining "100%" of IPD and getting nice depth feel, because it's vastly diminished upon IPD relax, everything look almost completely flat, but I probably went a little too hard on it. The zooming speed is actually set to fast to minimize travel time, which itself causes motion sickness, rather than amount of zoom. It also just more convenient to zoom in fast. I didn't set it to instantaneous zoom though because it feels wrong and it's very disorienting. I'll see what else I could do with that.

I actually been very carefully designing the visuals with extensive Rift testing. It is designed so that if you look at the board you wouldn't see the flashy text messages, but if you casually raise your head a little bit you will see few latest lines. Whenever chat message arrives, you will also hear a sound. Visually it's 30-40 degrees above the spotlight circle. Your own input message (while you type) appears good bit lower and it's easier to see, but otherwise it's invisible and does not interferes with your immersion. For the same reason, the controls help sheet is placed way to the side and upwards. You might have also noticed that camera is tilted down to the table a lot so you don't have to look way down.
raidho36

Postby drash » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:34 pm

raidho36 wrote:I also had to implement "IPD relax" for zooming in because if you zoom in it's effectively as if you were pressing your face against the table. Current value is chosen between maintaining "100%" of IPD and getting nice depth feel, because it's vastly diminished upon IPD relax, everything look almost completely flat, but I probably went a little too hard on it.

That's excellent. It's obvious you put a lot of thought into this. I actually would suggest it's not relaxed enough, not that you went too hard on it. I assume you are moving the IPD closer to zero when zoomed in a la monoscopic display, just to avoid going cross-eyed? I still felt cross-eyed looking at something too close to my face so maybe just a little bit more of the relaxing thing would help (for me).

raidho36 wrote:The zooming speed is actually set to fast to minimize travel time, which itself causes motion sickness, rather than amount of zoom. It also just more convenient to zoom in fast. I didn't set it to instantaneous zoom though because it feels wrong and it's very disorienting. I'll see what else I could do with that.

I agree with your approach to this, and perhaps it's only because the end result of going cross-eyed and/or having to refocus so much that I feel like it's too fast. Should be interesting to see!

raidho36 wrote:Whenever chat message arrives, you will also hear a sound.

Aha! Then that alleviates any concern I had for that. Nice thinking. :)
drash

Postby raidho36 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:02 pm

@drash

Right now relax ratio is set to 50%, which means it gets 50% less relaxed than it actually should. This gets you more cross-eyed, but it also gets there better 3d feel. I just set it to 80% and it seems to be sweet spot - you get slightly cross-eyed as if the board got actually closer to you, and the 3d feels is adequate. I also tried increasing zooming time and it seems to be decreasing the harsh cross-eyed effect significantly, I think I leave it at 0.3 seconds. I also increased a little zoom area, so there will be a bit less zooming.

The sound blip feature was always there. But if it wasn't I would add it.
raidho36

Postby Peejle » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:42 pm

Very Nice. As others have said, the thought that went into making it more like an actual board game really pays off.
Can't believe this was only a 7 day project!

Peejle
Peejle

Postby Klopp » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:53 pm

Not working lon Linux. A black window, and nothing.
Klopp

Postby RoyMi6 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:58 am

Was chatting with a friend about an extended implementation of this acting like couch knights and using the stem/hydra to match the external avatars hands movements in addition to the head movements :)
RoyMi6

Postby ziggurat » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:33 am

Any DK2 love?
ziggurat

Return to “Works in Progress”