Eden River HD - A Relaxation Experience for VR

A forum for sharing your incomplete projects with the community.

Eden River HD - A Relaxation Experience for VR

Postby UnelloDesign » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:56 am

Hey guys,
Im excited to announce that Eden River will be receiving a huge update/revamping and will be coming out on Steam in July!

Eden River is a VR demo I released back in September. It is designed to be a relaxing experience. You are cruising down a river a few feet above the water, roll your head left and right to steer. For best results (if you have one) set up an electric fan blowing a slight breeze on your face.

If you haven't checked out the original, you can download it here free for PC, Mac, and Linux:
http://www.unellodesign.com/oculus-rift-demos/

Here is some gameplay footage of the original:

Im looking for feedback regarding what new features I should add. Here is a short list of features that will for sure be a part of Eden River HD:

-New positional-tracking-based control scheme
-Endless mode
-Different environments, with new music
-Better graphics
-Better sound (binaural, and/or HRTF)
-Wildlife

A few features that I have not completely decided on yet:
-Incorporating elements of a rhythm game
-Optional guided meditation voice-over

Let me know what you think
Let's make a great game together!

I've added some screenshots of what I have been working on.
Things I got working last week were:
-new environment! (shown in the first screen shot) I created this little section with a fallen tree that you get to cruise under. Im trying to add more room for the player to choose where to go and what to explore.
-swans that fly with you
-random terrain placement
-random tree placement
-experimented with funky blue trees
-lots of little cosmetic things, leaves falling, background fog, canopy above you, better water

Ive also been experimenting with avatars.
I tried first person swan perspective so you can look behind you and see your body and wings. I also tried third person with the swan out in front of you.

Being the swan is fun for a little while but it gets annoying very quickly.
My favorite thing was to match speeds with the swans and fly with them. Swooping down and hovering just above the powerful beating wings of a swan is an incredible feeling. (see middle screenshot)
The first time I did it my jaw dropped.
Theres something very powerful about the presence of a large bird in flight, its hard to describe, but it was very soothing.
Last edited by UnelloDesign on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UnelloDesign

Re: Eden River HD is coming to Steam! - What should I add?

Postby Hadtstec » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:50 am

Fantastic. This is a great demo and I'd love to see this get some polish.
I hope you like some of my ideas:

1. Choose your own music/playlist.
2. Day/Night Cylce. (be able to set the speed of this too, as I'd imagine that this would be great to help yourself "wind down after a stressful day")
3. Be able to choose the speed and height at which you are "flying"
4. Alternative routes. Think of train tracks: simply looking in a certain direction at a junction will take you that way ;-)
5. Be able to stop and enjoy the scenery

6. Stretch Goal!
Multiplayer in the style of the PS3 game "Journey". No talking, just a sound. Your Avatar could be a simple as a butterfly or bird.
DK1 | DK2 | GearVR

"Nothing is hard and we have input to announce at this time!"
Hadtstec

Postby Cymatic » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:47 am

Awesome, congrats!

I am totally in favor of Endless Mode, different environments, and different or player defined music.

I look forward to the release!
Dev Relations @ AltSpaceVR - VC Funded VR Startup. Now Hiring!

Co-organizer, Silicon Valley Virtual Reality (SVVR) - Monthly meetups, SVVR Expo.

Contributor, Road To VR - #1 VR News Site.

VR Evangelist - VR Impressions & discussions.
Cymatic

Postby AxelBernadotte » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:12 am

I would say more levels, better graphics, possibility to add your own audio-files, wildlife, maybe junctions, positional tracking, but not elements from music-games or rythm-games, no game-elements at all, if they are not optional.

kind regards!
AxelBernadotte

Postby drash » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:11 pm

Awesome!

I do think it will be important to figure out exactly what role this experience should fill -- is it relaxation, or is it a game? Personally, I'd prefer the relaxation angle here, as that seems to be how this started out, and I'm sure there are lots of things you could add to support that goal. If you do choose the relaxation route, I would suggest that the limit of gamification should be something like: "relax in area X for a total of 10 minutes to unlock area Y". That could tickle the "I've unlocked something!" bone, but at the same time you know there's nothing you need to do except kick back and relax.

Keep us posted! :)
drash

Postby UnelloDesign » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:44 pm

drash wrote:Awesome!

I do think it will be important to figure out exactly what role this experience should fill -- is it relaxation, or is it a game? Personally, I'd prefer the relaxation angle here, as that seems to be how this started out, and I'm sure there are lots of things you could add to support that goal. If you do choose the relaxation route, I would suggest that the limit of gamification should be something like: "relax in area X for a total of 10 minutes to unlock area Y". That could tickle the "I've unlocked something!" bone, but at the same time you know there's nothing you need to do except kick back and relax.

Keep us posted! :)

Yea Im with you, Im leaning towards more of relaxation experience than a game, but i do think a simple collection task could be soothing, and act as a way to distract you from the stresses of your day.
Maybe there is one mode more geared towards relaxation, and another with some more rhythmic elements or things to collect.
UnelloDesign

Postby UnelloDesign » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:08 pm

AxelBernadotte wrote:I would say more levels, better graphics, possibility to add your own audio-files, wildlife, maybe junctions, positional tracking, but not elements from music-games or rythm-games, no game-elements at all, if they are not optional.

kind regards!

I like the idea of an experience you can customize. So yes, any game elements will be optional, whether that be via a menu with a bunch of different toggle-able choices, or a few different modes... i dunno yet.
UnelloDesign

Postby UnelloDesign » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:11 am

Just wrote a quick blog post about all the great suggestions I got from the community on what features to add to Eden River HD! Check it out here:
http://www.unellodesign.com/blog/

This is the graph I put together of community suggestions, from this thread as well as the Oculus subReddit:

Thanks again for all the great feedback. More updates coming soon!
UnelloDesign

Postby UnelloDesign » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:12 am

Screen Shots Added!
Also a quick post about what I've been working on this past week.
UnelloDesign

Re: Eden River HD - A Relaxation Experience for VR

Postby UnelloDesign » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:26 pm

New teaser trailer is UP!
I put this trailer together late last night for my Indie Cade submission and decided to post it. Enjoy!

UnelloDesign

Postby grodenglaive » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:53 pm

looks good. I like the idea of the birds occasionally flying with you.
GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2
grodenglaive

Postby virror » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:34 am

Looking awesome, you have any idea of a date?
virror

Postby cybereality » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:14 pm

Very nice!
Oculus VR - Community Manager
cybereality
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby muglore » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:01 pm

This project is looking great. Unello demoed the experience at last weeks Austin Gamemakers VR cakewalk and it was a resounding success, can't wait to see a final version release!
Golf Masters DK2 Alpha, GOLF MASTERS
muglore

Facebook: ghostmachineVR
Google+: 117274497174178083811
Twitter: ghostmachinevr
YouTube: UCnzoTr7WgtQBFNLgquqQ5Nw

Postby UnelloDesign » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:14 pm

virror wrote:Looking awesome, you have any idea of a date?

Shooting for late July early August, so ... SOON!
UnelloDesign

Postby Targoviste » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:05 pm

This was and still is my favorite demo to show people when they first experience the rift.

Can't wait to see all the hard work you've put into the HD version!
Targoviste

Postby steam25 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:02 pm

hello crew,
i am little confused. purchased the demo like 2 weeks ago? pay with paypal, got the opera nova demo and thought, eden HD will be out in some days. now i read its already DK2 and ready for download if i pay with paypal again now. :roll:

its little confusing. is it out for DK2 or not? i should get a link with the download when i bought it right?
:idea:
steam25

Postby aerosteak » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:50 am

Eden River used to be free for the DK1 as far as I can remember. Sorry if this question has already been answered, but what is the difference between this hd version and the previous one, and what has been implemented to justify the 10$ price? The music sounds great, but for a relaxing experience, I would rather be able to make my own selection.

Oh, and concerning Opera Nova, I understand it works with midi informations, but can we create and import our own midi files to make our own visual experiments? Been working with midi for the past 25 years, and I would be a little disappointed if I'm not able to experiment.

Sorry if these questions may sound a bit negative, but if it is just a nice environmental demo without lots of interactivity and relaxation in mind, the ability to chose your own soundtrack should be very important. People don't have necessarily the same artistic tastes and it's always good to listen to something familiar in an unfamiliar place: look at Blue Marble for instance, I'm pretty positive it wouldn't have had the same success if you couldn't import your own tunes.

Oh, and just to be absolutely clear: I'm not saying that the music you made doesn't sound good (I find it excellent in many points), it's just that when it comes to "relaxing" I would listen to something completely different, it's just a matter of taste and personality. If the price was cheaper, I would buy it without hesitation, but for 10 bucks I want something more than a pretty 30 minutes experience (I bought Valve's Orange Box for less).
aerosteak

Postby coupler » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:12 pm

In the new HD version for DK2 all I see is a black screen. Using an R9 290, in Direct Mode.
coupler

Postby pedrw » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:45 am

I bought but does not work with me (with DK2)...
pedrw

Return to “Works in Progress”