Shingeki no kyojin (Attack on Titan) possible collab?

Start a new team project, or find a team looking for help!

Shingeki no kyojin (Attack on Titan) possible collab?

Postby jenza » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:29 pm

So me and a friend where talking. He and I are both massive anime fans and fans of the spectacular Shingeki no Kyojin anime.

the intro

For the benifit of those who may not know of it, basically its set in a post appocolypic future where humanity is forced to hide behind massive walls because beyond them, mindless titans roam around and will indesriminativly eat any human it sees, at this point in the story, its fairly evident that they just seem to exist to eat humans. these titans usually vary in size between 3 to 15 meters high, but one day, a 50 meter high titan, one tall enough to peer over the wall, kicks a hole in the wall and in rushes countless titans forcing humanity to abandon a 5th of their territory and retreat to the next wall.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130517155324/shingekinokyojin/images/b/b8/Info_on_AoT_2.jpg

Income the army, humanity's defence. These men and women use whats called 3D maneuver Gear, which is basically a gas propelled semi jetpack with gas propelled hooks that allow skilled users to shoot around a bit like spiderman. If their huge size isnt bad enough, titans are seemingly invincible, even being able to regrow their heads and limbs. A titan's only weakness is the nape at the back of their neck, so the soldiers have two massive swords to try and cleave out the nape, as this ususally destroys the blade in the process, the handle, which is used to controll the hooks and gas propulsion, have a detachable mechanism to allow quick access to the spare blades held in the sheath below the gas canisters.

Mix the oculus rift with the hydra/STEM, i think we could have the real possibility of an amazing game. Whats fantastic is that fans of the series have allready made character models of various stuff and even the city of where the game takes place, maybe some of them would be willing to donate them for part of the project if we ask nicely.

Anyway, here is the thing we came up with in terms of basic functionality.

the hydra/stem has 2 trigger buttons on each hand controller thing, the top one operates the grappling hook, presses to fire, press again/release to retract and the bottom one operates the rear gas propulsion. In essence, moving the hand device up or down aims where the hook is shot, as well as the swords if a blade is attached, pressing a button when moving the hand devices down to the waist attaches a blade and pressing it again will either store the blade if its close to the sheath or drops it. Operating the gas propulsion while on the ground will provide a boost to running speed, but the main purpose of it is to use it in conjunction to the retracting of the hooks to literally fling the player into the air.

The titans are Generally very slow and dumb, they will only ever attack humans as thats basically their only natural drive. However there are the occasional abnormal who, while rare, will start sprinting or will have only one target in mind.

Working under the assumption that we manage to get friendly ai working for other solders another area of gameplay to explore is becoming a titan and fighting titans in hand to hand. In the anime there are a few characters who have the ability to envelop themselves with the flesh of a titan effectively becoming one while keeping ones humanity. The titans, however just see these people as humans and therefor, food.

Anyway, its a big project, the main problem i can see is getting the physics to work with boosting and propelling oneself with the gas. Does anyone have any thoughts?
jenza

Re: Shingeki no kyojin (Attack on Titan) possible collab?

Postby philmccarty » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:00 am

I started working on a prototype of more or less this exact same idea (however I decided against using the AoT i.p., and ultimately it was just a bit too ambitious for my first project, for other reasons.)

The boosting/propelling was fairly easy (I say this as a beginning Unity developer), in essence all I did was track where the hydra was pointing, and then when the trigger was engaged I applied a force to the Body/Controller object in the direction of the hand pulling the trigger.

I played with a couple of variations, one where each trigger pull Starts/Stops the chain action. Another where it works more the way I imagined Spiderman works (as long as you're holding it, you're in "chain mode"). However I took a fairly brute force approach to it, and decided to throw the character in a straight line without the effect of gravity on the character.

I actually think this comes closer to mimicking the movement of the characters in the show. I know it's part of the animation style, but I just don't think the 3D maneuver gear actually -has- any swing.
philmccarty

Postby jenza » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:25 am

i actually found this amazing unity fangame and it was more or less what i had in mind, i tried contacting the developer but i dont think he speaks english, but check it out

http://fenglee.com/game/aog/

obviously the one im proposing would be first person with the hydras controlling each hook
jenza

Postby philmccarty » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:04 am

Yes, I'm familiar with that game, but like you I think the ideal swing/hook grapple game uses a first person perspective, hydra, and perhaps the rift. I'm a little worried about nausea given the nature of that swinging motion.

There's a pretty lengthy conversation about that game over on NeoGAF if you're interested.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=604191

jenza wrote:i actually found this amazing unity fangame and it was more or less what i had in mind, i tried contacting the developer but i dont think he speaks english, but check it out

http://fenglee.com/game/aog/

obviously the one im proposing would be first person with the hydras controlling each hook
philmccarty

Postby Syaoranoni » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:02 am

Sorry, I know this post is kind of dead, but I'm a big fan of Attack on Titan, and own the Rift and Hydras :)

Sadly, I am below beginner level in Unity.

I was just wondering about your suggestion of aiming the hooks with the controllers. This does sound like the best idea, but one that is not entirely true to the anime, seeing as the hooks are on their waist...

That fenglee game you posted got it spot on though, with only mouse movement as opposed to a Rift, two hydras, and an analogue stick. Is there some other control scheme that would work?

I'll be practicing Unity, one day I want to make this.
Oh, the brutal wait until Christmas. Downloading leagues of demos to make the wait less agonising.
Syaoranoni

Postby spencerprieto » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:30 pm

I know this thread is getting older, but if anything comes of this idea, give me a shout. I'm a beginner as well, but I'd be happy to work on a project like this.
spencerprieto

Postby DeathTempler » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:31 pm

Same here. I just can't think how I'll get the grapples to work. MY virtuix Omni come here in a few months so I'll be able to lean and slide more realistically in a game like this. I'd suggest keeping the hooks at the waist and using Hydras for maybe hands. Unless you want this to work with STEM in that case I'd suggest using the Hydras for elbows and 2 STEMs for hands, 1 stem for waist and 2 for feet like in my project SAO. OR you could put the Hydras on the waist and they shoot where they are aiming so you can turn and lean your body as if it's the real thing. Until Stem is here to use for position tracking I'd say use Kinect or other motion controller to track leaning. Could make a community project out of this. I'd definitely help and give it publicity.
DeathTempler

Postby nukemarine » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:37 pm

The guy that made Windlands or Warriors of the Wind has an amazing grappling mechanic which seems to fit the Attack on Titan methods. I'm never one to suggest people spend time and effort on copyrighted material knowing it could be met with a cease and desist letter though. Has he been asked?
nukemarine

Return to “Collaboration”