Dolphin, Gamecube emulator, with positional tracking

A place to talk about Oculus-ready games and demos that can be used with the Rift development kit.

Dolphin, Gamecube emulator, with positional tracking

Postby fugazi » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:24 am

Hi to all,
I have released in my web my build of gamecube's dolphin emu that uses hydra's positional tracking and Rift's rotational tracking.

Here is the link http://penkamaster.wix.com/dolphinvr

You still have to use tridef, because my implementation of native 3d is still experimental (no more fov, one image per eye) although im my web I explain how to test this mode.

I've decided to release it because I've sold my Oculus. Second hand Oculus are losing his value here in spain, and I need the money to buy the future DK2!!!

Clipping problem still there, but a lot of games are super playable, I totally completed Rayman 3 and its have been one of my greatest experience on the rift, Mario galaxies looks inredible but gives some problems collenting stars with the pointer.
Zelda Windwaker is very nice to see trough the rift in 3D and positional tracking.

I dream with a portable gamecube console, running in android with the CK's positional tracking and with the clipping problems fixed... :shock:

Hope you enjoy it!!!
fugazi

Re: Dolphin, Gamecube emulator, with positional tracking

Postby Cylonsurfer » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:00 am

So does this allow you to play GC games in first person view with positional tracking? Your post / web page didn't really make this very clear.

I suspect it just allows you to play Dolphin on your Rift... I'd be very impressed if it forced the camera to 1stp and allowed for positional tracking. I'm not a fan of third person content in VR at all.
Cylonsurfer

Postby fugazi » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:10 pm

Cylonsurfer wrote:So does this allow you to play GC games in first person view with positional tracking? Your post / web page didn't really make this very clear.

I suspect it just allows you to play Dolphin on your Rift... I'd be very impressed if it forced the camera to 1stp and allowed for positional tracking. I'm not a fan of third person content in VR at all.

Indeed, my build only adds 6 degrees of freedom to the game camera, in no way it forces camera to 1st person. perhaps i'd had to clarify it better in the web.

Before trying it I was also a skeptic about gaming in third person in VR, but after tried it Im a believer. As I already said, Rayman3 is one of my best playable experiences on the rift, love the sensation of been there playing with your toy.

Also, one of the traditional problems of a lot of third persons platformers has been the camera, VR has solved the problem without trying to do it, because in VR you change the camera in the most natural way that exists: moving your head.

You should try it and maybe you will change your opinion.
fugazi

Postby Cylonsurfer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:37 am

Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated.

I have nothing against 3rd person titles, I just do not enjoy them while wearing a VR headset. I have played a number of third person games with my Rift on but the experience was lesser than with my HMZ-T1. For me VR is about immersion so a 1st person view is a must. I can use NVidia 3D Vision for 3rd person but I guess this is a great alternative for those without a 3D display.
Cylonsurfer

Postby fugazi » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:48 pm

Cylonsurfer wrote:Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated.

I have nothing against 3rd person titles, I just do not enjoy them while wearing a VR headset. I have played a number of third person games with my Rift on but the experience was lesser than with my HMZ-T1. For me VR is about immersion so a 1st person view is a must. I can use NVidia 3D Vision for 3rd person but I guess this is a great alternative for those without a 3D display.

i got a 3d display too, but I prefer the feeling of being there that gives VR even in third person games... but well, it seems that is a matter of taste.
fugazi

Postby jayturns » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:03 am

My oculus rift will be here within 8 hours. I can not wait to try some dolphin with it!
edit: Well tomorrow I will have it. UPS status is emergency beyond UPS's control
jayturns

Postby AnotherCrazyCanadian » Thu May 08, 2014 1:16 pm

This is a few months late, but do you know if VorpX runs with it? It's worked well for me on other emulators, but I am unsure of how it works with this one.
Facebook bought Instagram. How exactly did they ruin them?
AnotherCrazyCanadian

Postby HappyHimitsu » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:11 pm

AnotherCrazyCanadian wrote:This is a few months late, but do you know if VorpX runs with it? It's worked well for me on other emulators, but I am unsure of how it works with this one.

Why bother? There is a dolphin build in the Share section that works just fine.
Checkout out the electrifying Tesla's laboratory scene in our newest build of our educational history game, Project Time Travel!
'Be Wary of Geeks bearing Gifts....' -trojan/win32.war
HappyHimitsu

Return to “Oculus-ready Games and Demos”