And So It Begins!

A place for developers to discuss VR Jam 2013, presented by Oculus and IndieCade.

And So It Begins!

Postby Gnometech » August 2nd, 2013, 9:21 am

So who all ended up entering the VR Jam? How many people are on your team? Care to share your concept yet?

I'll start:
It is just myself and I'm working on a sports game with optional multiplayer. Had an inspiration just this week and I'm going to run with it. I'll be using Torque 3D along with at least the Xbox 360 controller (perhaps keyboard and mouse too). I'm also going to start a thread here to share my progress once I have something to show.

See you on #vrjam! And don't forget about #screenshotsaturday. We should flood them with Rifty goodness. :D

- Dave
For Rift: Turtle VR and Here Come The Dead
Mobile VR Jam Entry Circumpaint
2013 VR Jam entry Keswik 2063
Rift demos I've worked on: Rift Valley and Aurora Borealis

Re: And So It Begins!

Postby Stalker23b » August 2nd, 2013, 10:53 am

Hi all!

I am going to do something for the Jam. I am lonely developer, Unity is the engine.

My current idea is kinda "fly forward and avoid obstacles using head turns" game with a twist. I want to try size-shifting mechanic, when the whole world change the scale around you and little thing in front of you suddenly becomes planetary-big and you are speeding above its surface. Then you grow again... Similar effect can be observed in boxplorer fractal demos.
The working name for the project is "Hypershift", dunno if it is any good, i am not native english speaker )

Good luck to you all!

Postby cairmen » August 2nd, 2013, 11:16 am

I'm going to be doing something, although I'm as yet unsure what.

Current top ideas are an RPG/dungeon explorer thingy, or a Rifted music video with motion capture :)
Last edited by cairmen on August 2nd, 2013, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Prelucid » August 2nd, 2013, 2:30 pm

Soloing with Unity. Did my first Ludum Dare with a from-scratch engine and paid for it dearly despite finishing... a few more jams later I've had success with Unity, so I'm using that for my project.

Not really sure of what I'm doing yet, but I think at least part of it will have horror elements/creepy pasta material.
Viktor: Yes, he was wrong. But just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can't something be wrong... and priceless?

Postby Birchmountain » August 2nd, 2013, 2:42 pm

I'll keep the combo going, I will also be working alone using Unity. I have a bunch of Ludumdares behind me so through experience i know that i have no idea of what getting myself into.

I want to focus on creativity and let the players experience both the ups and downs of designing for amazing VR. Hopefully i'm not in over my head.

Looking forward to play your games!
Oculus Vr Jam, Level Designer VR:

Postby EMcNeill » August 2nd, 2013, 3:07 pm

Hi all! I'm working solo in Unity. Based on the concepts so far, I'm seriously looking forward to playing some of these games!

I'm planning on making a cyberspace hacking game that takes place inside the computer. Think abstract, first-person Uplink. For now, I'm calling it Ciess.

Postby Arowx » August 2nd, 2013, 3:49 pm

Hi there I'm in solo with Unity. ;)

Good Luck!

Postby Spiderspy » August 2nd, 2013, 3:50 pm

Team of four, looks like we are doing a puzzle game with focus on the gyro :)

Postby sbrezhnev » August 2nd, 2013, 3:50 pm

Hi all,

I'm working alone as well, UnityPro is the engine..
Working on a "driving" game with a twist :)
Facebook: sbrezhnev
YouTube: zabeicheg

Postby tyguy21g » August 2nd, 2013, 3:57 pm

I'll be throwin my group into the fray. group of 6 friends :D
also using unity

Postby Slin » August 2nd, 2013, 4:02 pm

Team of four, using Rayne, working on some combination of temple run and hack and slay through a dungeon, hopefully using the gyro and accelerometer for some of the controls if it feels right.

Postby Gerald » August 2nd, 2013, 4:47 pm

Team of 2 - I will do the game design and programming, reusing some of the stuff made for LICHT - getting some stuff made fresh by #2

mechanics is gonna be VR Arcade shooter.
look aim - so I have the controller for movement only.
I am still changing the concept in my head around, but it will change anyway a lot once I start coding (sadly I won't get to that before sunday I guess).

well ... I hope to make it into the finalists group and maybe get lucky with a cash price, but I guess the larger teams will kick my ass there. we will see, I can't wait to get into it :)
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons

Postby metakid » August 2nd, 2013, 5:01 pm

I'm in, working alone in Unity as usual. I'll be taking some of what I learnt with vBuggy and pushing things further for a stunt racing game with mad speed and mad air.

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!
vBuggy - v0.2 - PC & Mac
vBuggy 2000 - IndieCade/Oculus VRJam 2013 Entry

Postby Cheshyr » August 2nd, 2013, 5:10 pm

Coding alone, in Unity. Considering Underwater or Freefall, to deal with the vertigo issues. Space environment is the obvious solution, so I'm trying to find something different. I compete in LD26, and finished well, but this is a whole different level... not expecting much, given that entire teams can compete, and there was no limiting factor to keep them from starting 3 weeks early, like the Ludum Dare theme.

Postby JMStark » August 2nd, 2013, 5:41 pm

I am entering this jam solo without much experience using Unity (I had used Game Maker and Java in my previous Ludum Dare entries and other games). I also just got my Rift, so I am still in the phase of understanding the hardware and thinking about what concepts really play to its strengths. Hopefully I can create something interesting, VR is cool stuff (wouldn't hurt to make some money and garner press attention on the side as well).

Good luck to the rest of the participants!

Postby alexotronic » August 2nd, 2013, 7:53 pm

Where all mah' UDK peeps at?!

Going solo with UDK :ugeek:

Postby EoghanH » August 2nd, 2013, 9:27 pm

Team of 2 - developing with Unity, with myself on World Design and programming, and a friend on 3D modelling. I think a huge amount of the tech demos released to date have been lacking in the visuals department - not to say they're all lacking in visuals, considering museum of the microstar etc!

Can't give away a huge amount of details just yet, but since getting the rift and grabbing Unity Pro for myself, I've been trying to graphically push it to it's limits, without just being plain over the top with particle effects etc. The Rift itself is a visual masterpiece - and I'm hoping I can create something that'll both complement that, and provide an awesome playing experience. The game still I'm going for will require a very cinematic approach to keep things fresh, so we've got a huge amount of work ahead of us - here's hoping we can get everything how we want it on time!

The best of luck to everyone, looking forward to checking out your games!

Postby Yorick » August 3rd, 2013, 12:12 am

Solo with Unity aswell.

I have a very weird game idea :lol: But I'll have to do some tests to see if it works first.

Postby antigravity » August 3rd, 2013, 12:13 am

Hey everybody,

I'm excited to have joined as well !.

There are many great ideas in this thread- Really good stuff

The challenge for me is going to be completing this between full-time graphics work plus my wife, and daughter! .. But I think it can be done.

The majority of the project is going to be done by me- I'm a few months into unity, but not new to motion graphics.. Luckily I have two talented buddies who want to swing by for a few late-nite hack sessions, and my wife wants to help with some design.. no matter what this is going to be a great learning experience and I might have a few aces up my sleeve.

To be honest, at the stage of development I'm still asking myself.. whats going to make people go "whoaaaa", whats really going to make people crap their pants, and what kind of demo could potentially change the course of humanity in a good way.. It can happen in any order really.

I hope to have answers at our milestone-

Good luck everyone!

Postby Waymanapps » August 3rd, 2013, 12:29 am

So this is where all the cool people are hiding...
Welcome all, my name is Wayman and I'll be going at it alone.
Be warned, I'm developing a very impressive résumé for losing game dev contest so watch out. Ha
Not sure what direction my game is going to go in yet, but I hope to share something soon. Good luck to all

Return to “VR Jam 2013 (Locked)”