Ocean Rift v1.03 DK2
I've basically gone back to the original demo I released this time last year and 'enhanced' it with extra animals and small examples of tech from the full version.
Ocean Rift is a deep sea demo I've developed while learning Unity. I've used it to test out lots of ideas about creating atmosphere underwater - I think some of it works really well.
In the demo you'll meet a number of different shark species, schooling fish and a humpback whale. In the deep you'll find a hungry Megalodon shark. To be honest you shouldn't really go down there, and you should definitely warn anyone else thinking about trying this demo about him too.
Would love to hear what you all think!
Flickr gallery : http://tinyurl.com/mgcgs2w
YouTube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUEXgpOQYe0
- Demo works best with a controller and headphones. I highly recommend setting the volume quite high as it adds a lot to the atmosphere when there's plenty of bass.
- You can't swim, the main reason being everyone instinctively tries to swim for the surface, and there's nothing above sea level yet! Enforcing a ceiling was really uncomfortable, so for the time being you're wearing a deep sea suit.
- The fish basically move around using tweening so there's no avoidance / collision code. You can interact with the Megalodon if you want though!
- At the moment fog is calculated by simple depth. Unity's Global Fog image effect gives an amazing sense of vertical depth but image effects seem to be automatically order to occur after lense distortion which introduces artifacts. Don't think there's much I can do about this yet, unless anyone has any ideas.
- I've tried to add as much polish as possible, but there are a few bugs like the occasional jittering and rarely you will fall through the terrain. Not sure what's causing this.
- v1.01 - Slope limit increased. Tweaks to shark animation speed. 'F' key toggles fog mode between exp and exp2 for preference.
- v1.02 - DK2 support. Enhanced version with extra creatures.