Ocean Rift (now with DK2 support)

A forum for sharing your incomplete projects with the community.

Ocean Rift (now with DK2 support)

Postby sfaok » June 1st, 2013, 5:48 am

Edit : You can download the DK2 version of the demo here:

Ocean Rift v1.03 DK2
Blog post

I've basically gone back to the original demo I released this time last year and 'enhanced' it with extra animals and small examples of tech from the full version.

----------------------------

Hi everyone,

Ocean Rift is a deep sea demo I've developed while learning Unity. I've used it to test out lots of ideas about creating atmosphere underwater - I think some of it works really well.

Project Website
Download v1.01

In the demo you'll meet a number of different shark species, schooling fish and a humpback whale. In the deep you'll find a hungry Megalodon shark. To be honest you shouldn't really go down there, and you should definitely warn anyone else thinking about trying this demo about him too.

Would love to hear what you all think!
-Llyr

Flickr gallery : http://tinyurl.com/mgcgs2w
YouTube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUEXgpOQYe0

Notes:
  • Demo works best with a controller and headphones. I highly recommend setting the volume quite high as it adds a lot to the atmosphere when there's plenty of bass.
  • You can't swim, the main reason being everyone instinctively tries to swim for the surface, and there's nothing above sea level yet! Enforcing a ceiling was really uncomfortable, so for the time being you're wearing a deep sea suit.
  • The fish basically move around using tweening so there's no avoidance / collision code. You can interact with the Megalodon if you want though!
  • At the moment fog is calculated by simple depth. Unity's Global Fog image effect gives an amazing sense of vertical depth but image effects seem to be automatically order to occur after lense distortion which introduces artifacts. Don't think there's much I can do about this yet, unless anyone has any ideas.
  • I've tried to add as much polish as possible, but there are a few bugs like the occasional jittering and rarely you will fall through the terrain. Not sure what's causing this.
  • v1.01 - Slope limit increased. Tweaks to shark animation speed. 'F' key toggles fog mode between exp and exp2 for preference.

• v1.02 - DK2 support. Enhanced version with extra creatures.
Last edited by sfaok on August 1st, 2014, 6:25 am, edited 12 times in total.
Developer of Ocean Rift.
Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
sfaok

Re: Ocean Rift (featuring sharks)

Postby Marvn » June 1st, 2013, 6:14 am

I was really looking forward to the first underwater simulation and you're project looks good from the images. Unfortunately I only get 30 fps even on the lowest settings. I don't have the most powerful notebook but Half Life 2 and most of the other demos run well enough.

Maybe you can adjust the lower quality settings to get more fps?
Marvn

Postby MartinCaine » June 1st, 2013, 6:19 am

Marvn wrote:I don't have the most powerful notebook but Half Life 2 and most of the other demos run well enough.

What spec is your notebook? Remember this is built using Unity with fancy underwater shaders. Half-Life 2 is nearly 9 years old (though now uses a slightly more recent version of the engine I admit).

This looks great though, can't wait to try it on my Rift after work today :)
MartinCaine

Postby JOHIsaac » June 1st, 2013, 6:57 am

One of my new favorites! Played with a 360 Controller and headphones.

I am a diver and when i came in the sound is just right, the sharks are cool and the whale is great.
I found the Gate which dropped me down to the underwater smoker, it's getting darker...and then... :lol:

GREAT!
Last edited by JOHIsaac on June 1st, 2013, 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
JOHIsaac

Postby sfaok » June 1st, 2013, 6:58 am

Marvn wrote:Maybe you can adjust the lower quality settings to get more fps?

I have to admit I haven't really been optimising as I go, but the demo will be resource intensive. Deferred lighting, thousands of soft particles, flocking AI, physics, grass+trees etc. Not much I can switch off with quality modes. I've just been pushing it as far as I can go without dropping below 60fps on my quite modest single GTX580 machine really.
Developer of Ocean Rift.
sfaok

Postby Thodder7 » June 1st, 2013, 7:10 am

I put this on for 10 seconds... i was looking at the bubbles, enjoying the view, i look up and there was a shark right there.. I must add that I have a real phobia of falling in the ocean, but I assumed I would be fine with a simulator. Scared the S%*# out of me. lolol. Once my heart slows down a bit, I plan to go back in. Looks amazing so far!
Join the VR Brotherhood: http://bit.ly/1iUAjuf
Our Youtube Channel!: https://www.youtube.com/user/VRBrotherhood/videos
Thodder7

Postby evil1 » June 1st, 2013, 8:10 am

Running pretty slow for me with a Radeon 6950 and I7 3770K, can only manage 14FPS on High or low, not sure what is up there! - not sure if it is a driver issue or a Win8 64bit issue, can't be the hardware.

I just updated to the Radeon 13.6 Beta drivers and this made no difference, I had a little play with the settings and even at 640x480 with fastest selected I cannot get over 15 FPS, at 1920x1080 with Fantastic selected I still only get 15FPS. Is anyone else having issues with a 69XX series ATI?
evil1

Postby henrik3141 » June 1st, 2013, 9:10 am

This is a really nice demo!
but you gave me nearly a heartattack with this shark down there O_O
henrik3141

Postby Zonetripper » June 1st, 2013, 11:09 am

This is really good and more than a little bit terrifying. Love it!
Zonetripper

Postby dead4sure » June 1st, 2013, 11:55 am

I really enjoyed this! The atmosphere is great! I have the same issues as everyone else with the low fps though! I was getting around 12/13 on a pretty old system: quad core 2.4ghz/4gb RAM (effectively 3 as I'm on a 32 bit OS) and a GT 520.

Low fps doesn't seem to bother me though! Perhaps the slower nature of underwater physics allows for higher tolerance for fps drops?
dead4sure

Postby zwickarr » June 1st, 2013, 12:06 pm

cool demo, first one to really scare the crap out of me. :D
zwickarr

Postby PatHightree » June 1st, 2013, 1:03 pm

I second that !
A great demo and fantastic audio.
I love the little school of fish, are those boids ?
For inspiration you can have a look at Robert Hodgin's work http://vimeo.com/13933614
His vimeo channel is a treat and you can find his blog here.

I got stuck in pits sometimes, can you increase the slope limit value for the character controller a bit ?
Another thing that irked me was that the speed of some of the sharks did not quite match their animation.
This spoiled the feeling that the shark was actually propelling itself by its tail movement.

I can't wait for the option to swim for real in this environment.
As a diver, the most important part of diving is weightlessness and freedom of movement.
PatHightree

Postby sfaok » June 1st, 2013, 1:41 pm

Thanks for all your comments! Updated the OP with version 1.01. Apologies it doesn't run very well on some machines, it's very fast (100fps @ 1280x800) on the two desktop machines I have access to so I'm not sure why some capable computers are struggling.

PatHightree wrote:I second that !
A great demo and fantastic audio.
I love the little school of fish, are those boids ?
For inspiration you can have a look at Robert Hodgin's work http://vimeo.com/13933614
His vimeo channel is a treat and you can find his blog here.

I got stuck in pits sometimes, can you increase the slope limit value for the character controller a bit ?
Another thing that irked me was that the speed of some of the sharks did not quite match their animation.
This spoiled the feeling that the shark was actually propelling itself by its tail movement.

I can't wait for the option to swim for real in this environment.
As a diver, the most important part of diving is weightlessness and freedom of movement.

Fish are boids yes. Originally I had about 10 schools swimming around but there was a very peculiar bug which caused the simulation to blow up so they've been demoted to a single neutered school. This demo was thrown together in a week and as I mentioned I've just been playing around with different ideas.

I've increased the slope limit from 35 to 70. It was 35 to stop people escaping the water! :) The shark animations I'd need to overhaul - I've bumped up the animation speed on the small brown sharks for v1.01 but yes sometimes the illusion breaks. Ideally the animals would use physics based steering behaviours like boids instead of tweening. This demo is basically an animated illusion in that respect.
Developer of Ocean Rift.
sfaok

Postby PatHightree » June 1st, 2013, 1:52 pm

Yeah, simulation can be a great way of achieving an effect.
But it can be hard to direct it to the exact result you're looking for.

I want to point out Caustics Generator, this wonderful tool creates tilable and looping animated image sequences of underwater caustics.
It would make a great addition to the atmosphere of your scene.

btw, how did you do those sun shafts ? They do not look like the unity standard assets sun shafts.
PatHightree

Postby Sebbi » June 1st, 2013, 3:07 pm

Scary Shark ... holy shit! ;-)
Sebbi

Postby RoTaToR1979 » June 1st, 2013, 5:25 pm

:? it works... i know its a bad shark, but i am allways afraid of it ervery time he comes to bite me.
RoTaToR1979

Postby IGameArt » June 1st, 2013, 7:10 pm

This game gives me hope. I can see how relaxing VR can become, as well as how terrifying it can be when put in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing. :)
IGameArt

Postby paulybarnes » June 1st, 2013, 7:37 pm

just awesome. I love how your swimming and there is just the most beauti........OH SHIT SHARK (ducks)!!!
-: Pauly :-
===================================
LOGISTICS - Oculus Prototype 1 CHECK IT OUT!

~ The Rift, it's so bad. ~
paulybarnes

Postby drash » June 1st, 2013, 9:06 pm

I yelled.
drash

Postby wavefunction84 » June 2nd, 2013, 5:36 am

Great demo! Loved it. Definitely one of the better ones.

The sharks scared the crap out of me.
wavefunction84

Return to “Works in Progress”