cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Game of Thrones - Castle Black and The Wall (DK2)

rcazzy
Protege
Hey guys, I started this little project about 2 weeks back in Unreal Engine 4. I wanted to do a recreation of Castle Black from Game of Thrones with the lift up the Wall, the ability to walk all around the castle, and go through the tunnel to beyond the wall.

I know there is the official Wall expereience, and some DK1 demoes which haven't been updated and this is an experience I've been excited about for a while. I'm building it from scratch apart from a few small aspects that I'm not completely comfortable with incorporating my own models and textures for yet, such as the landscape and particle effects. I'll get there eventually!

Here are a few shots of what I've built so far, all made in 3DS Max. There is still a number of props and mechanisms to build, along with hopefully some interiors based on the sets. I started with the basic mechanics of the lift, and getting the Rift camera set up. I used all the reference I could find from the show and behind the scenes shots. I'm currently playinog around with scale and other issues with the amera as well which I hope to sort soon.The atmosphere I'm aiming for is that of season 4 episode 9's "The Watchers on The Wall." You can see the shots in full if you open in a new tab.

Mess Hall with bright lighting

Lift Platform, Wall temp model and Walkway with bright lighting

Wall lift brackets with bright lighting

Walkways, Small Stable and Castle Gate

Platform, Mess and Wall

Lift up the Wall

Wall Top Temporary

Beyond The Wall using Unreal asset mountain
3 REPLIES 3

Protocol7
Heroic Explorer
This looks very good! I am looking forward to seeing your progress. It will be amazing being in the world of GoT

core999
Explorer
Wow this is really cool, never did get to try the DK1 demo that will probably never be updated anyway.

rcazzy
Protege
Minor update working on the landscape. I just used a static mesh since I'm having trouble with the UE4 landscape tools.
The trees are singlepoly billboards, and texture further out which still need some work.

I have also added sound effects of wind, sounds for the lift and making effects for the Night's Watch horn for atmosphere.
The lighting is still here and there, tryin to create the best looking scene I can.

I'll be making a thread on the official Unreal forums to look for advice on some aspects of constructing the demo.