cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bad ghosting when there is pure black on screen

Yeticrab
Explorer
It appears that the pixel reponse time when something goes from pure black to much brighter (looking around a high contrast image with black areas) is really bad with the note 4 screen. Is this expected to improve in future displays?

This is most noticeable in the moon theater, but it happens with all content hat has very dark/pure black areas. As you look around the shadows lag and appear to animate due to how slowly the pixels are responding.

Perhaps there's some display setting I'm missing because I expected better from a modern oled display.
9 REPLIES 9

pittsburghjoe
Protege
It happens with oled ..no getting around it ..except to make your blacks less dark

do try playing with your brightness settings though
i7 skylake, EVGA Classified, 2 EVGA 980 sc's, Thermaltake TR2 RX(1000W), 32GB DDR4, Win 10 on an SSD

Yeticrab
Explorer
Thanks, I did some more research and it does seem to be a common problem with OLED.

Here's a good write up on the issue: http://doc-ok.org/?p=1082

christerm
Honored Guest
As soon as i start playing a movie in Oculus Cinema it seems like the color depth of the chairs and walls in the theater goes way down to like 8bit color depth or something. Is this normal?

g4c
Explorer
"christerm" wrote:
As soon as i start playing a movie in Oculus Cinema it seems like the color depth of the chairs and walls in the theater goes way down to like 8bit color depth or something. Is this normal?

Yes, It's normal.

The chairs are so dark with the lights out that each color component will span only 3 bits or less.

It's more noticable on OLED because it has incredible range due to being able to go properly black.

On LCD you would see very little detail at those low color amplitudes so you would not perceive the quantization.
Android VR Developer. https://twitter.com/SiliconDroid

christerm
Honored Guest
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that there was something wrong with my device firmware. I mean the walls in the cinema also looks like they are made up for like 3 shades of red. As well as when the movie goes to a dark scene it looks like it is highly encoded and only has like 3 shades of gray between black and a lighter color. Kind of dissapointing.

christerm
Honored Guest
One more question. How come i don't see this issue when i watch cirque de soleil shows or watch other 3d games. IS it because it isn't dark enough in those scenes?

MasterElwood
Protege
"christerm" wrote:

The OC was programmed by JC to run on the lowest CPU and GPU settings, so overheating is not a problem with movies 2 hours and longer.

Therefore visual compromises had to be made...

g4c
Explorer
"christerm" wrote:
One more question. How come i don't see this issue when i watch cirque de soleil shows or watch other 3d games. IS it because it isn't dark enough in those scenes?

Yes, that's exactly why.

The dynamic range of the human eye is very wide and it's non linear, able to differentiate between very small differences in low amplitudes, but less resolution at the high brightness.

If you plot a graph with animal visions range resolution on Y and source amplitude on X: you would see a graph that starts high at X==0 and then exponentially falls off.

Also our vision is VERY contextual, it's impossible to get an accurate read on absolute brightness, so when looking at the cinema dark areas you're thinking it's actually brighter than it is because the whole context of that area is very dark. It's testament to the very nice OLED screen that any range is even perceivable way down there.

Here the A+B tiles are the same shade, to really prove it to yourself get the image in a paint tool and crop a little from A and drag it over B, without doing that you're going to think "NO WAY".

Android VR Developer. https://twitter.com/SiliconDroid

thealgorithm
Protege
I had the same issue with my Gear VR and Galaxy S6. Severe posterizing in dark areas. Flashing the firmware back to latest stock (5.1.1) solved this issue. Dark area's do not look nowhere near as bad as they did before and the whole experience is a lot better