/ Forums

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

How to disable the health and safety warning for development purposes in 1.3?

wbskwbsk Posts: 35
Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
Is there a registry hack or similar since the option is no longer available in the settings panel it seems?

Comments

• kondrakkondrak Posts: 56
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Currently there's no way to do this.
  • jimbo00000jimbo00000 Posts: 55
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm happy to report the HSW no longer appears for me. I saw it every time the first day and found it slightly onerous, but now it seems to have disappeared. Maybe it goes away after a day?

In any case, I find the development process to be quite smooth now. Running a program from Visual Studio immediately switches from home to the "Please Wait area" for a quick 1-2 second fade, then into the program. Thank you, Oculus.
  • wbskwbsk Posts: 35
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Every time I do a debug/run iteration from my visual studio C++ programs I keep facing this screen and having to click through unfortunately.  As a developer I just want my programs to launch straight away each iteration cycle with non of this as it's wasted time - that ironically makes me spend more time then I would like in VR.  Also the amount of RAM that Oculus home uses is unacceptable.  So I think they have some way to go before the current releases development process is smooth IMHO
  • thewhiteambitthewhiteambit Posts: 228
    Hiro Protagonist
    once there was registry entry for that, don't know if it is still working
  • husakmhusakm Posts: 54
    Hiro Protagonist
    I agree to pass this warning is totally annoying !!! If not registry hack there should be an application interface to control this . The developer should be responsible for his work, not the HW manufacturer ...
  • SharkkuSharkku Posts: 572
    Yeah, I facepalmed when I saw that message again. I think it is nothing short of idiotic. The way the legal system in the US works... Please, if someone finds a way to remove it, let me know!
    DK1 - previously owned
    DK2 - 2014-08-26 RECEIVED! (ordered 2014-04-24)
  • jhericojherico Posts: 1,417
    Nexus 6
    On the plus side, for the CV1 hardware with the sensor detecting it's being worn... the message only seems to appear after the headset has not been worn for a certain amount of time.  So at least for a development cycle this is a little less irritating.
    Brad Davis - Co-author of Oculus Rift in Action - Like us on Facebook
    Rifty Business - A blog on software development for the Rift.
    bdavis_cover_tiny.jpg
  • whitehexagonwhitehexagon Posts: 111
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    +1 for the option to disable HSW again please, back doing dev on my DK2 and it's a PITA especially without an xbox controller to dismiss it.  It means I have to keep putting the HMD on to 'eye click' it.
    DK2, MBP (mid 2010) OSX 10.10.3. Win7 - i5 4670K - GTX770.
    Java LWJGL 3 OpenGL Experiments: https://github.com/WhiteHexagon
  • kontisleapkontisleap Posts: 2
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    +1 for such an option, and not only that but also having to keep the Oculus home open at all times to actually debug in UE4 or Unity is a total waste of energy and could lead the screens to some serious burn-in. 
  • jabjab Posts: 104
    Art3mis
    I would be surprised if Oculus developers eat their own dog food, so I bet there is some unofficial way to turn this off.
  • petereptpeterept Posts: 167
    Art3mis
    anyone found a way yet?
    Check out my Unity VR development blog:
    http://talesfromtherift.com
    @peterept
  • AirstrikerAirstriker Posts: 6
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I'm just getting pissed because of that screen! How a hell am I supposed to implement something when most of the time I'm staring at the damn LookAtBox! Please add an option to get rid of this f*** health screen. It can be aregistry hack or whatever but pleeeeese DO it!
  • ConstellationConstellation Posts: 164
    Art3mis
    +1 for an option to disable! This is coming up every time I run a build. I'd really like to see this built into OculusDebugTool as opposed to a registry hack.

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 21,029 Oculus Staff
    It should not come up every build. I believe it's on a timer (maybe 30 minutes) so if you are quickly building and testing things you should not see it every time. Unless you are on DK2, then I think it may be more frequent. Can I ask what headset you are using and which engine?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • galopingalopin Posts: 353
    Nexus 6
    null

Even if it once a day (or reboot), it is still an annoyance, for me as an user, but it scale to frustration for devs !
  • Hope they can come up with an update on this as soon as possible.
  • nuclearnuclear Posts: 68
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    I have a DK2 and it comes up *every time*. It makes testing during development a huge pain in the ass.
    John Tsiombikas
    webpage - blog - youtube channel
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Comes up every time on a DKII.  Absolutely tedious for development as is Oculus Home running Unity and taking up the machines resources when we just want to be running our game and the HMD driver.
    Hiro Protagonist

We test both DK2 and CV1 for serious work - molecular structures visualisation related for pharmaceutical R&D. Unfortunately the Oculus Home forced visualisation + Health and Safety warning makes professional use of Rift almost impossible ... To be honest we are starting to test HMD products form other manufactures purely from this reason (otherwise the HW is good, the changes introduced in 1.0.0 SDK are bad). We are even open to pay more for some professional HMD model, but without this Oculus Home and Safety Warning childish obstructions .... It is a bit pity we were lured by pre 1.0.0 SDK to focus on Rift and hoping no drastic changes will be introduced . We have lost a lot of time in this way ...

Art3mis
     Unless you are on DK2, then I think it may be more frequent. Can I ask what headset you are using and which engine?
    I'm using a DK2 and unfortunately it is very frequent. I have a Rift and I'm in the process of updating but as @husakm pointed the HSW is a real problem for professional use. I understand the Rift is a consumer product,  not a professional one and that those consumers need to be protected. That being said allowing devs and pros to disable the HSW would greatly appreciated.
  • AllRiftAllRift Posts: 15
    edited May 2016
    husakm - +100000
    Exactly the same for us : it is now impossible to add a 3D VR view in our professional software.
    I add : the description to upgrade from 0.8 to 1.0 was ridiculous : the half of the changes to do were documented.
    And now there are automatic upgrades of the driver.
    That's funny. You are living in the moon !

For us it was a gadget so we removed it.
    Art3mis
    Another concern I have with the DK2 is burn-in. I try to hit the power switch on the DK2 or power down my computer completely but I often forget. I'm worried that I'll accidentally leave the HSW screen up for a few days and it will end up permanently etched into my screen.
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    I really don't understand even for consumers why there can't be a check box setting to disable the HSW even for the US.  Surely prompting the user with a legal warning saying Oculus will not be held responsible and asking for an extra confirmation at that stage is enough to placate the legal implications?

I totally get that the US has insanely over eager legal system for example.  I also get that there hasn't been enough widespread studies or experience to understand the long term health implications of HMD device usage.  But surely if the user actively with full knowledge of responsibility chooses to disable it Oculus cannot be held accountable even in markets such as the US?

Should we get HSW warnings every time we plug in a mouse about RSI?  What about gamepads?  What about upcoming HDR monitors?  It gets a bit ridiculous really.

I think it makes perfect sense to keep it as default behaviour but it needs to be something that can be willingly turned off by the user.

Really Oculus could fix a lot of the issues people have right now with three check boxes in their settings panel:

1) Turn off HSW given legal warning and a second layer of confirmation
    2) Turn off resource guzzling Unity based Oculus Home unless asked for by a store app, allowing the use of just an efficient hardware driver like you had previously
    3) Turn off automatic updates

Art3mis
    wbsk said:
    Should we get HSW warnings every time we plug in a mouse about RSI? 
    Good point. I'm reminded of my LG G3 phone which requires a click through every single time you want to raise the headphone volume past a certain threshold. I ended up rooting my phone to get rid of it. Given the recent DRM issues Oculus should anticipate and accept that people will find a way to get rid of the HSW. If they provide a legitimate, secure means to do so now they can control how & when that happens.
  • phuhquephuhque Posts: 28
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited May 2016
    What we are ALL waiting for are a set of drivers similar to pre CV1. Packaged and separate. It is quite disappointing to attempt to develop a stand alone product like was promised. You are familiar with it, the one with no Oculus Home attached? We have a complete halt to development until this occurs. I guess it's a good thing other options remain open...
  • 8bit8bit Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm here to whine and complain like everyone else. The health warning thing sucks. Please help us.
    Art3mis
    edited May 2016
    I've migrated my project from DK2 to Rift and I'm still getting the HSW quite often during normal day to day development. I often don't wear the HMD during during short cycle, bug fixing type activity. With the DK2 it was pretty easily to tell when I was stuck at the HSW but with the Rift it's a bit more annoying because I have to hold my finger over the proximity sensor to see if the screens turn grey.
    Hiro Protagonist
    We had put a black adhesive tape on the proximity sensor. To do R&D with the sensor on is nightmare. To be able to disable the proximity sensor in setup is another wish I have ....
  • pixelminerpixelminer Posts: 171
    Hiro Protagonist
    wbsk said:
    I also get that there hasn't been enough widespread studies or experience to understand the long term health implications of HMD device usage.
    And we can't do any such studies when we have the HSW enabled. If you tried to perform any type of controlled study using the Rift it would be ruined by the HSW screen. Any text which states that you might feel a certain, way will most definitely impact the result. Telling people that they might feel sick, will result in more sickness.
  • lamour42lamour42 Posts: 109
    Art3mis
    JeffBail said:
    I've migrated my project from DK2 to Rift and I'm still getting the HSW quite often during normal day to day development. I often don't wear the HMD during during short cycle, bug fixing type activity. With the DK2 it was pretty easily to tell when I was stuck at the HSW but with the Rift it's a bit more annoying because I have to hold my finger over the proximity sensor to see if the screens turn grey.
    Fortunately the Rift positional tracking works even if the HSW is showing in the HMD. So for short dev cycle where I don't put on the Rift I can do whatever I want with manually positioning the Rift and checking the mirror image. Isn't that also possible for you?