Did you mean: 

Skycall - Rook Island

getnamo
Honored Guest

Grab the Win32 build at
Link(Mega)
Mirror(Mediafire)

WIP Forum Link

This demo requires DK1 and Razer Hydras.

About Rook Island:
This demo is meant to allow you to explore bird flight with the closest possible experience. To gain altitude you will have to flap, once you gain enough speed you will glide and steer with tilt and yaw like you used to as a kid imagining you were a bird/airplane.

All the instructions on flight are included in the Documentation, check out the flapping video below for an example of controlled flight.

Flapping Video:

Can you find all the eggs? How good of a bird are you really? These very important questions in life need answers!
Current Project: Skycall
21 REPLIES 21

nn23
Explorer
Looks very good, downloading just right now!
Thanks!

feuerhahn
Honored Guest
Best and most exiting workout I've ever had 😉 Quite exhausting but a great experience and very well implemented! Another great idea in use with the Rift!

Keep it up!!

drash
Heroic Explorer
Hi getnamo, sadly I'm not able to try this out properly as my Hydra's on the fritz. Something big is rattling around inside one of the controllers. My wings kept awkwardly folding up in front of me so I really couldn't do much (I'm pretty sure it's my Hydra that's the problem).

While I was inside, I was in awe of the beautiful landscape and I can't wait to actually fly around it and be a gunter.

One thing I would suggest though, is that when first trying this, my Hydra controllers were switched left/right and the game did not like this at all. Spinning around and wings bent badly. Then I remembered that someone noticed that the triggers are actually labeled left/right so I fixed that. Still couldn't do much with my Hydra breaking down, though.

Can't wait for STEM!
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

LjudasPriest
Protege
I don't have the Hydra controllers so can't try this but the concept is awesome.
Flap you arms and then glide around - if money wasn't a problem at the moment I would buy the Hydras just to experience this.

Keep on dreaming - great work!!!!

getnamo
Honored Guest
"drash" wrote:
Hi getnamo, sadly I'm not able to try this out properly as my Hydra's on the fritz. Something big is rattling around inside one of the controllers. My wings kept awkwardly folding up in front of me so I really couldn't do much (I'm pretty sure it's my Hydra that's the problem).

If you have something rattling inside your hydra, your counter weights may have been dislocated. That may affect your tracking, but there may be another solution, try this: launch MotionCreator 2 and select Tools->Run Simple3d. This will show a 1:1 display of your hydras' position and orientation. Move the suspect controller around and see if its accurate, now wiggle or slightly bend the wire coming from the controller. If you see it jump you will find the exact bend that causes this and you may be able to fix it by forcing the wire the other way. A slightly forceful reverse twist worked for me when my right controller started acting up.

"drash" wrote:

One thing I would suggest though, is that when first trying this, my Hydra controllers were switched left/right and the game did not like this at all. Spinning around and wings bent badly. Then I remembered that someone noticed that the triggers are actually labeled left/right so I fixed that. Still couldn't do much with my Hydra breaking down, though.

Can't wait for STEM!

I agree, I'll take a look into making the controllers hand-agnostic; with STEM controllers the tracker can be swapped around so this will be a required feature. The hydras are unbeatable in terms of accuracy but the wireless upgrade will hopefully solve a lot of issues with build quality 😉

@feuerhahn I'm glad you liked it, there is definitely more to come!

danpmalpass
Honored Guest
LOve the look of this and would like to try it, but the download link doesn't work. 😞

Left my laptop running for hours yesterday and it didn't get about around 4kbps. 😞

Tried again today and it won't even start to download...

Any other links?

getnamo
Honored Guest
😞 that mega isn't working for you, its a clean and fast service.

Anyway, here's a Mirror(Mediafire)

mbdarr004
Honored Guest
One of the best Rift games that I have played in a long time. 10 out of 10.

All around a great release: nice video demonstration, nice pdf setup/how to, and wonderful game.

My favorite part was looking down and seeing my bird shadow. Really made the immersion complete.

Played for about 20 minutes straight, then realized I was actually sweating, been awhile since a game has done that.

From the Setup document
"Flight - Troubleshooting"
"My shoulders Hurt! - That's the point." - made me laugh.

To wrap it up, this is a must have for those of you with both the Hydras and the Rift. Would definitely pay to play a full version of this. I'll be adding it to my list of Rift demos to show people just one of the amazing things that this technology can do.

Thank you for creating and posting it here.

pinging
Honored Guest
Really great idea. Most compelling experience in the rift yet, even though I had a bit of a time getting the hydra from getting yanked off the table. Had to feed the controllers through my shirt to keep things under control. Awesome work 🙂 :!:

I would love to see bird racing multiplayer or multiplayer at all 🙂