Did you mean: 

Skycall - Rook Island

getnamo
Honored Guest

Grab the Win32 build at
Link(Mega)
Mirror(Mediafire)

WIP Forum Link

This demo requires DK1 and Razer Hydras.

About Rook Island:
This demo is meant to allow you to explore bird flight with the closest possible experience. To gain altitude you will have to flap, once you gain enough speed you will glide and steer with tilt and yaw like you used to as a kid imagining you were a bird/airplane.

All the instructions on flight are included in the Documentation, check out the flapping video below for an example of controlled flight.

Flapping Video:

Can you find all the eggs? How good of a bird are you really? These very important questions in life need answers!
Current Project: Skycall
21 REPLIES 21

Caine
Honored Guest
This was amazing - definitely in the top Rift experiences to date 🙂

Our take:

Ananas
Explorer
Awesome! Really polished and well working controls. Gliding surely feels amazing, especially when we get the HD Rift and can see even better and further.

Is there any way to get the quality even lower to get better FPS? At some points the fps dropped to 40 even after running the SetMedium. Have 7850, i5 and 8Gb of DDR3 ram.

deHavilland
Honored Guest
Just amazing - this is my personal Rift-Hydras killer app! The purest flight sim you can imagine, both in first and third «person» view. This thing has lots of potential: with next gen Rift its beauty will shine even more. And, as someone already pointed out, an excellent workout - I can wholeheartedly recommend it for your body and soul!

getnamo
Honored Guest
@mbdarr004, deHavilland, pinging
Awesome feedback, glad you liked it, there is definitely more to come 8-).

@Ananas
Regarding the quality, Rook Island is a bit heavy on polygons and shader complexity, it's a fault of me being still fairly new at art creation, for future releases I'm aiming for 60fps+ for cards with 1.8TFlops+ (PS4 level/ roughly your GPU). In meantime try tweaking Data/UDKGame/Config/DefaultSystemSettings.ini maybe some settings I've missed will increase FPS.

@caine
Thanks for the in-depth look at rook island, loved your aerial shots and dives (need to clean up some transitions and animations though 😉 ), great vids and hope to see you again at the Riftmax theatre!

JonathanVB
Honored Guest
This looks great. Just a suggestion to reduce the arm tiring effect: thermals.

There are also other types of atmospheric lift, but they require wind, which seems kind of hard to implement naturally.

getnamo
Honored Guest
"JonathanVB" wrote:
This looks great. Just a suggestion to reduce the arm tiring effect: thermals.

There are also other types of atmospheric lift, but they require wind, which seems kind of hard to implement naturally.

Wind and thermals are in the pipeline, thanks for suggesting 🙂

The project is still undergoing UE4 conversion (and graphical updating) as for the Rook Island demo, its compatibility with DK2 depends upon whether UDK will have the 0.4 SDK pushed.

More to come later 😉

artyom9630
Honored Guest
Hey man!
How is it going?
Have you tried updating it for DK2 yet? 🙂

grodenglaive
Honored Guest
I've missed this game since my hydra crapped out. This will be my first demo to try when the STEM finally ships (in October supposedly).
GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2

FinalDJs
Honored Guest
Iam wondering that i cant find the razer hydra on amazon or something like that. Why they not selling it anymore (Germany)??

grodenglaive
Honored Guest
It was discontinued a year ago, looks like people are holding on to them. Probably any used ones get sold pretty fast.
GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2