cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to mirror audio on two devices (soundcard and Rift)

maxpare79
Trustee
Ok here is a little guide on how to mirror your audio on two different devices (soundcard and Rift)

The trick is to put your sound card (in my case Realtek) as the default device, if you have the Rift set at the default device and try to mirror it to the soundcard it doesn't work, only the soundcard mirrored to the Rift. Don't ask me why...

So here you go

First open up your sound options and set your soundcard as the default device:
c70xq1il6la7.jpg

In my case it's the Realtek High Definition Audio

Then go to the Recording tab and right-click...Select Show Disabled Device. This will bring up the Stereo Mixer. Right-Click on it and enable it.

rw43bpmx7ta0.jpg
8whcno7mytc9.jpg

Once it is enable, go into the Properties of the stereo Mixer

z6giflau3w2j.jpg

In the Properties, go to the Listen tab and then check the box "Listen to this device" .
Under the "Playback through this device, select Headphones (Rift Audio) from the drop down menu

fv130d3w754i.jpg

Finally on the Advanced tab uncheck Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device

94l2myyqbomq.jpg

And that's it you are all set, you will now hear the sound from your speakers and your Rift!

You can adjust the listening levels in the Levels tab of the Stereo Mix properties, but raising the volume of your PC will still raise the volume of your Rift, you can just create a volume offset between the 2 devices.

It does create a tiny lag between the two device but the sound is still in sync with the image so don't worry about it

I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner
41 REPLIES 41

RobHermans
Superstar
Cheers mate, that's good enough for me. 🙂

maxpare79
Trustee
I just realized that this might not work on games purchase through Oculus Home...Only my steam library seems to works, when I play a game that is exclusive to home, sound is not coming out of my speakers, only the Rift...
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

RobHermans
Superstar
Hmm, interesting. Walled garden syndrome again, perhaps. Guess I'll have to look at Voicemeeter after all.
Nevertheless, outstanding work @maxpare79 , even if it only works on Steam, it's still very useful, thanks again.

maxpare79
Trustee
Yeah I mostly play ED, Pcars and Assetto Corsa. which I own on Steam, never realized up until a few minutes ago when someone came over for a demo that when he was trying Lucky's Tale, Chronos and Dreamdeck that I couldn't hear anything.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
@RobHermans I am betting it is more of a software/hardware support issue rather than a walled garden issue.  Oculus Home will eventually need to support this functionality as it makes it much more fun to spectate.  Having it as a one click option is a very nice feature.

And thanks for the update max!
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

RobHermans
Superstar
Agreed. Note to self: stop using popular phrases inappropriately! 😛

Stryker1000
Heroic Explorer
Thanks for the walk through max. so it works for steam but ironicaly not for OH purchased games ?. hmm I was sort of hoping to see what it was like when play eve-valk. which oculus dev do I have to kidnap to get it to work with OH ?.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@ Maxpare79 - Did you try this for your steam games, it seems simple but I haven't tried it because I don't have my CV1 yet.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/389859/#Comment_389859

steveoz32
Expert Protege
I've tried so many times to get 'stereo mix' to work on my system for recording audio and it never does - just silence. I'll try this but I bet it will be the same 😞

Stryker1000
Heroic Explorer
ahhh herin lies my particular dilemma ... the rig I have bought is specifically bought for gaming only using the oculus ..didn't fancy all the clutter with my steam games and all the additional bloatware that's associated with steam ...alas